buxus from side of the road.

Forum for discussion of Evergreen bonsai – Buxus, Cotoneaster, Olive etc.
beanwagon
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

buxus from side of the road.

Post by beanwagon »

I found this buxus advertised about a year ago on gumtree. A guy had ripped a few up and left them on the side of the road to be removed. I cut about 1.5meters of growth off of it. Pic was taken today what do you guys think of its progress so far?

beanwagon
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Re: buxus from side of the road.

Post by beanwagon »

They were left on the side of the road bar root for about 5 days.
Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Plum
Bonsai Club: Goulburn Bonsai Society

Post by Watto »

Lot of potential there, please keep us posted.
Check out my blog at http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/blog/Watto" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bougy Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Bougainvillea, Ficus and Swamp Cypress
Bonsai Age: 4
Bonsai Club: Bimer

Post by Bougy Fan »

Have you considered putting it into a grow pot to develop the branching and then putting it back into a bonsai pot ? You may also be able to improve the nebari if you desire. I think the pot it is in is a little small considering it needs some developing.
Regards Tony

"The problem with quotes found on the Internet is that it's hard to be sure of their authenticity." Abraham Lincoln
srini
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: ficus
Bonsai Age: 4

Post by srini »

Definitely don't take any more foliage off it for a while now. Buxus do not like to be trimmed too hard all at once or may die. I learnt this the hard way with some very nice stock i aquired a couple of years ago. Had it for nearly a year after collecting then gave it a major working leaving very little foliage but it couldn't cope and died within 6 weeks. Great stock you have there and I agree with upsizing the pot and letting it grow rampantly for a good year.
beanwagon
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by beanwagon »

Thanks for the suggestion of putting it in a larger pot. I will definately do that.
Last edited by beanwagon on January 28th, 2016, 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
beanwagon
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by beanwagon »

srini wrote:Definitely don't take any more foliage off it for a while now. Buxus do not like to be trimmed too hard all at once or may die. I learnt this the hard way with some very nice stock i aquired a couple of years ago. Had it for nearly a year after collecting then gave it a major working leaving very little foliage but it couldn't cope and died within 6 weeks. Great stock you have there and I agree with upsizing the pot and letting it grow rampantly for a good year.
I had this happen aswell...i think. I have another largwr buxus that i got from the same guy its leaves slowly turned brown and hasnt grown anymore so im assuminh its dead but leaving it just incase it springs back to life.
beanwagon
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by beanwagon »

I should have taken a before picture, after repotting this and letting it be for a year it had put out a lot of growth. I decided i wass too tall for my liking so i cut it low and repotted it into a training pot. Fingers crossed it doesnt die as i cut a lot off.
Screenshot_20170830-141848.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by beanwagon on August 30th, 2017, 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Evergreen”