A Spanish Olive!

Forum for discussion of Evergreen bonsai – Buxus, Cotoneaster, Olive etc.
Starfox
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Eucalyptus
Bonsai Age: 3

A Spanish Olive!

Post by Starfox »

G'day all,

Just thought I would share a little Olea Europaea that I picked up a couple of weeks back, I wasn't going to add anymore trees until spring/summer but seeing as these are practically a native species here and the one I wanted first I missed out on I decided to grab this little pre-bonsai while I could. It's 9 y-o already and seems to be settling in quite nicely.
So far I'm pondering what I will do with it come spring but I'm leaning towards giving a trunk chop either above or below the last bend and removing most of the branches and just keep a couple of leaders.
Not overly sure to be honest but I gladly welcome any suggestions.

IMG_3184.JPG
IMG_3185.JPG
IMG_3188.JPG
IMG_3186.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Re: A Spanish Olive!

Post by shibui »

The straight upper trunk is definitely at odds with the strong lower bends. Pruning will help but will leave you with lots of growing to do. I find I need to prune very regularly to stop the strong, straight growth on olives and to get them to ramify.
Over here they have escaped from captivity and have become feral. In some places they are threatening to overwhelm our natives so lots get collected as possible bonsai. My local govt council has started targeting these in their roadside spraying program to try to slow the threat.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
melbrackstone
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: the ones that live
Bonsai Age: 28
Bonsai Club: Redlands, BIMER, VNBC

Post by melbrackstone »

Love the curves at the base.
Over here they have escaped from captivity and have become feral
On that note, it's amazing how many trees I've got in my yard, and also that we can buy for bonsai, that are classed as feral now!
Starfox
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Starfox »

shibui wrote:The straight upper trunk is definitely at odds with the strong lower bends. Pruning will help but will leave you with lots of growing to do. I find I need to prune very regularly to stop the strong, straight growth on olives and to get them to ramify.
Over here they have escaped from captivity and have become feral. In some places they are threatening to overwhelm our natives so lots get collected as possible bonsai. My local govt council has started targeting these in their roadside spraying program to try to slow the threat.
I agree, I'm 95% certain I will chop that upper trunk, maybe try and see if I can get that to root.
I know it will set me back time wise to let it grow out but as you say they come back strong and it will give me a chance to come to terms with the growth and the direction should become clearer.

Funny you mention the pest thing, it is the same here with Eucs, it breaks my heart to see Euc after Euc on the side of the road half mangled and half dead as they spray them too. Hopefully this year I can try and save a few of them on my travels before they get hit.
melbrackstone wrote:Love the curves at the base.
Yeah the base is what I like too, wish it was a little bit taller down the bottom but you got to work with what you have.
Starfox
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Starfox »

A bit of an update on this, I finally chopped it back and potted it up in a colander this morning. A much easier job than I was expecting too.
a.jpg
b.jpg
aaa.jpg
aaaa.jpg
aaaaa.jpg
I gave it a good drink with seaweed juice after all is said and done and now to wait for recovery I suppose.
I also planted the top half of the trunk in some potting mix to see if it will strike, probably not but that is OK with me.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kvan64
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: black pine
Bonsai Age: 16

Post by kvan64 »

It's rare to have those nice bents in olives. I would keep more and chop less but everyone has different view for a tree.
DK
Always we hope someone else has the answer.
Bonsai is an art of shrinking.
kcpoole
Perpetual Learner
Perpetual Learner
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: the School Of Bonsai

Post by kcpoole »

Nice little trunk there :yes:
but more importantly, how do you get Jacobs Creek Chardonnay in Spain :lost: :beer: :lol: :lol:

Ken
Check out our Wiki for awesome bonsai information www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki
What is Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Bonsai
What should I do now? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Newbie
How do I grow a Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _a_Bonsai?
Visit a Bonsai nursery to see some real nice trees http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _Nurseries
Starfox
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Starfox »

kvan64 wrote:It's rare to have those nice bents in olives. I would keep more and chop less but everyone has different view for a tree.
DK
Hi DK, yeah not sure exactly who trained this up whether it was the shop or from elsewhere but the bends in it are nice and the roots were good so credit to them. I was planning on cutting back above the next bend but there was a slight reverse taper happening and I had trouble seeing it clearly so chose where I did. I have potted and bagged up the top half of the trunk so maybe that will strike.
I can definitely see what Shibui was mentioning about the fast long growth and the need to stay on top of it so hopefully now I can keep the new growth manageable.
kcpoole wrote:Nice little trunk there :yes:
but more importantly, how do you get Jacobs Creek Chardonnay in Spain :lost: :beer: :lol: :lol:

Ken
Hah, they keep it hidden in the back corner of the supermarket in the international section, shame they don't have the sparkling version but beggars can't be choosers. :D

Return to “Evergreen”