Privet branch selection/early styling help

Forum for discussion of Evergreen bonsai – Buxus, Cotoneaster, Olive etc.
sheepdawg
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ficus
Bonsai Age: 2

Privet branch selection/early styling help

Post by sheepdawg »

I need some help with branch selection/early styling of this privet I collected. Imgur link: http://imgur.com/a/pdH3k

It has two problems though. The first is the large scar from where a branch was removed on the lower trunk. The second is that the entire one side seems to be dead and isn't putting out any new shoots :( . If I had more trees to play with, I'd probably get rid of this one, but I don't have anything this big to play around with so I figured I may as well practice some techniques.

The only thing I can think of is to take advantage of the dead side and use that as a "front". My idea is in the last pic. Maybe even carve that hollow out a bit more to make it more of a feature.

Any other thoughts?

Also, I've been offered a cheap dremel rotary tool by a friend who isn't using it. But I have no idea what I should be looking for. I think he said it was a dremel 200. Would that be suitable for bonsai carving etc.?

Thanks
sheepdawg
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Re: Privet branch selection/early styling help

Post by sheepdawg »

I was thinking of producing basic branch structure as quick as possible, then planting a fig on it to get some strangling action going. Any ideas on how to get it looking as tree-like as possible as quickly as possible?

Also, anyone have experience with ficus watkinsiana? Would be okay to use?
Lane
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Undecided....
Bonsai Age: 3
Bonsai Club: School of Bonsai

Post by Lane »

That dead side is definitely your front!

Privet's wood is soft and fig roots are powerful, that won't last long underneath a fig.
Last edited by Lane on May 11th, 2016, 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jarad
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Juniperus, Melaleuca, Taxodium
Bonsai Age: 9

Post by Jarad »

sheepdawg wrote:Any ideas on how to get it looking as tree-like as possible as quickly as possible?
Leave it alone to grow. More leaves = more food = faster growth.
-Jarad

I don't trust Bonsai, they are a little shady.
Hal
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: pine
Bonsai Age: 20
Bonsai Club: Northern, YV

Post by Hal »

Yes I would agree with Jarrad on leaving it grow a year or two with plenty of fertilisers to fast track growth in spring/summer. Then there would be more options to choose from. On the Dremel, I find the 3000 model with flex shaft a good value for your bucks. The cordless models are handy but the battery doesn't last long as unless you want to invest in a second battery. Enjoy carvinghttps://www.ausbonsai.com.au/forum/posting.php? ... 30&t=22212#"

Cheers,
Hal.
sheepdawg
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by sheepdawg »

I'm honestly thinking this won't make a good bonsai because of the dead side, which is why I want to get my hands dirty now (but I am a newbie). I'm thinking of just removing the extra shoots from each place, so that there is only one "branch", therefore thickening up quicker.

I wouldn't mind loosing the whole tree from it being strangled, to be honest. I really like the look of interlocked roots on strangled trees, and I do love figs. I have some other privet that I'm watching recover and want to start some work in summer, depending on how much growth they get this winter and how they handle spring :fc:

On a general note, two years seems crazy to me for free growth. To me, even a year would result in a HUGE shrub/tree. Surely some basic branch selection and mild pruning would begin before this? Even some wiring before the branches get too thick would seem like a good idea. Or am I thinking about this incorrectly? This was collected not even one and a half months ago, so I can't imagine the growth after two years.

I know I'm pushing recovery and growth times here, but I have many other "waiting" projects going on, and I'd rather try something and fail or kill this plant than just watch it for awhile. Kind of want to improve my wiring skills and try other techniques (e.g. grafting etc.), and this guy seems like a good plant to experiment on.
Jarad
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Juniperus, Melaleuca, Taxodium
Bonsai Age: 9

Post by Jarad »

Mate, you don't even have to watch it. Just put it somewhere, keep up the water and fert, then have a poke around in late spring to see how its going.

I know what you're going through, you've started a new awesome hobby and you wanna just do stuff. I would recommend going down to your nursery and buy a bunch of different trees. Take them home, wrap them in wire and bend the crap out of them.
-Jarad

I don't trust Bonsai, they are a little shady.
sheepdawg
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by sheepdawg »

Jarad wrote:Mate, you don't even have to watch it. Just put it somewhere, keep up the water and fert, then have a poke around in late spring to see how its going.

I know what you're going through, you've started a new awesome hobby and you wanna just do stuff. I would recommend going down to your nursery and buy a bunch of different trees. Take them home, wrap them in wire and bend the crap out of them.
Oh yeah, I know. I have a bunch of others, I'm growing out four other privets for example, and I have a bunch of figs and a few other species (my next major work will probably be planting my tridents on rocks this winter). This particular tree is making my fingers itchy though because I can't see it making anything good because of the dead side, as I won't be able to grow branches from it and therefore won't be able to get a sense of depth. And it's taking up room haha.

So, that's why I want to do something with it now, I'd rather just practice my wiring on it than actually producing a bonsai (I am terrible at wiring and I don't want to unnecessarily scar my better plants). But producing a mini-tree with this guy will help with my long-term strangler fig plans, because having a living base would be cool. So, I'm mainly just looking for a general direction to take, whilst I mess around. I'm not too fussed with this guy in the long-term.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

I don't think the scar is a problem, rather it should be an asset.
Widen the scar to show more deadwood and hollow the trunk almost to the centre. Take the bark off the top of the trunk above the branch you think will be the future apex - the one you have shown in the virt is suitable - and carve the top of the trunk so it looks like it was broken in a storm or smashed by lightning. The dead top can even stick up through the foliage as a dead apex that's taller than the live tree.

Sorry I can't help with a virt (not skilled enough) but I think the tree has lots of good points and will be a good tree either by itself nicely carved and hollowed or swallowed by your strangler at some stage.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
dansai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Aussie Natives
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Coffs Harbour

Post by dansai »

I would agree with the let it grow some more first thought.

As for Ficus watkinsiana, not much chance getting Bonsai out of it. Leaves are huge and growth very coarse. Although it's common name is Strangler Fig, most other Figs can also be stranglers depending on where they are growing. Most F. rubiginosa and F. macrophylla start as epiphytes around where I live and become stranglers. F. watkinsiana does too, but usually has one or 2 leaders that grow bean pole straight up through the canopy with leaves up to 30cm long.
Travelling the Mid North Coast of NSW and beyond to attend Markets and other events

www.bonsaibus.com.au - www.facebook.com/TheBonsaiBus - www.instagram.com/thebonsaibus

Return to “Evergreen”