CAESALPINIA ferrea - Leopard tree

Forum for discussion of Evergreen bonsai – Buxus, Cotoneaster, Olive etc.
Bonsaiforest
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple

CAESALPINIA ferrea - Leopard tree

Post by Bonsaiforest »

Hello to all...Hoping some of you can help out. I'm really interested in experimenting with the following to create bonsai.
"CAESALPINIA ferrea - Leopard tree" I've found some seed on ebay but there in WA and I don't think they'll be accepted by customs. Have also found some from nursery's in Queensland but the cheapest price that I've found is $17.75 for 1 x small starter stock seedling. Think that's a bit rich, so hoping that someone in the know can point me in the right direction. If any one knows of where I can obtain these in NSW (starters or even seeds) it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
morrie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 3

Re: CAESALPINIA ferrea - Leopard tree

Post by morrie »

if you can get to brisbane you can pick the seeds up by the bucket load from them as street trees
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines & Mels
Bonsai Age: 7

Post by Ryceman3 »

I could be wrong but I don't think you'll have a problem bringing seed in to NSW from WA, but would if it was the other way around... WA has stricter quarantine laws which may prevent seed coming in to their state, not leaving it... Others may be able to confirm that (or not!)
NAHamilton
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Backea
Bonsai Age: 3
Bonsai Club: Ausbonsai

Post by NAHamilton »

I was under the impression that seeds going this way are OK but going into WA is where the trouble starts.

This one is listed as NSW though, http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Leopard-Tree ... xygLxSZ31X

Cheers,
Nigel
Bonsaiforest
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Bonsaiforest »

Thanks for searching Nigel...Have just ordered. Will see if they respond well to training/pruning etc.

Found these which I will also give a go....

JUDAS TREE SEEDS - CERCIS SILIQUESTRUM
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/201613969177 ... EBIDX%3AIT

If anyone has experience working with the above species as bonsai, please chime in........
Last edited by Bonsaiforest on July 13th, 2016, 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
terryb
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 4
Bonsai Club: SA Bonsai Society; VNBC

Post by terryb »

Bonsaiforest wrote:Thanks for searching Nigel...Have just ordered. Will see if they respond well to training/pruning etc.

Found these which I will also give a go....

JUDAS TREE SEEDS - CERCIS SILIQUESTRUM
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/201613969177 ... EBIDX%3AIT

If anyone has experience working with the above species as bonsai, please chime in........
No experience with this species yet but managed to collect some seed recently which is currently in the fridge stratifying. Will be keen to hear how you go.

WRT to the ad - how many seed are you supposed to get for that price?
Bonsaiforest
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Bonsaiforest »

Hi Terry

For the price, not many seeds at all.
The Judas tree I think it's 10 per pack... & for the Leopard tree it's only 6
If I could collect seed and then pass on to AB members for half ($) that - including postage, or even just charge the dollar for a stamp & send on, then I'd be a happy man.......
Hope that the ones you have in the fridge work out for you. I'm going to wait a week or two before I start the process of stratifying... I need to find some info on how long to stratify each seed type for, will do my research over the next couple of days before the seeds arrive. Hoping to have them ready so that I can sow early spring, or just a bit before.
Pierre
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Fig, Tropicals, Bougies, flowering trees
Bonsai Age: 6
Bonsai Club: Bimer

Post by Pierre »

Hi there,

I have a couple of trees i bought as nursery stock a couple of years ago, been in big containers and have grown very well. I will get pictures over the weekend.
They bud back very well when hard pruned ( even in Brissie "Winter"). The bark is already peeling off nicely.
I also have one started from seed, pretty easy to germinate.
Pierre
Bonsaiforest
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Bonsaiforest »

Thanks Pierre...really looking forward to seeing the pics.......
terryb
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 4
Bonsai Club: SA Bonsai Society; VNBC

Post by terryb »

Bonsaiforest wrote: Hope that the ones you have in the fridge work out for you. I'm going to wait a week or two before I start the process of stratifying... I need to find some info on how long to stratify each seed type for, will do my research over the next couple of days before the seeds arrive. Hoping to have them ready so that I can sow early spring, or just a bit before.
I've been following this guide http://www.treeseedonline.com/store/p21 ... trum).html so will see how that pans out.
Pierre wrote: They bud back very well when hard pruned ( even in Brissie "Winter").
Pierre, have you done anything to the roots? This guide indicates that these are intolerant of root disturbance so would be keen to hear your experiences if you have.
Terry
Jdceng
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: All
Bonsai Age: 30

Post by Jdceng »

Hi There

There are 3 nursery's near Port Macquarie that carry them as seedlings from time to time.
I have one that I put in the ground in a pot 3 to 4 years ago, that has to come out this year as it has pushed out bulk from a seedling to bout 75mm diameter at the base.

1 Bonny Hills Garden Centre
http://bonnyhillsgardencentre.net.au/
Address: 1055 Ocean Dr, Bonny Hills NSW 2445
Phone: (02) 6585 5764
Hours: Open today · 8am–5pm

2 Abundance Lifestyle and Garden
http://www.abundance.net.au/
Address: 274 Rawdon Island Rd, Sancrox NSW 2446
Phone: (02) 6586 0030
Menu: abundance.net.au
Hours: Open today · 8am–4pm

3 Greenbourne Nursery
239 High St
Wauchope, NSW 2446
Phone: (02) 6585 2117

Regards
JC
JC
Andrew Legg
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: The ones that don't die
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: Oyama Bonsai Kai, Ausbonsai

Post by Andrew Legg »

Be warned......in South Africa they have a bad reputation as they tend to randomly kill their branches. Can be very frustrating.
Jdceng
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: All
Bonsai Age: 30

Post by Jdceng »

Hi Bonsaiforest

I checked this afternoon at the Port library & there were heaps on the tree's & under them as well.

I sent you a PM with my email address, if you want them posted just let me know the address?

JC
JC
Bonsaiforest
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Bonsaiforest »

Thanks very much Jdceng....

You, like many other members on Ausbonsai have been very generous, & kind enough to have a look around their neck of the woods in search of some seeds for me to play around with. I now have some fresh seed coming from other members. So I think I'll have plenty to keep me busy for this season. Not to be a party pooper but I probably won't need any more at the moment.

Thank you once again for your generosity. The offer of your time to search for some seed for me is greatly appreciated. AB members Rock....

Hey Jdceng, a pic of your tree would be great... Styled or not it would be very interesting to see it's development since you planted the seedling in the ground

Kindest Regards
Last edited by Bonsaiforest on July 16th, 2016, 6:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Pierre
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Fig, Tropicals, Bougies, flowering trees
Bonsai Age: 6
Bonsai Club: Bimer

Post by Pierre »

Hi Terry,

I don't have a lot of experience with these trees. I have 2 i bought 2 years ago from nursery, and one grown from seed. I root pruned them pretty hard when i got them before planting in bigger pots, as they were root bound.
I have pruned them again after 2 years today, as we have a pretty mild weather at the moment in Brissie. I have noticed that they (at least mine) tend to grow roots more one one side than the other, which will mean more attention to be directed to the nebari. But i have read this in an article on the net. But they flare well at the base, which is great.
I will hopefully get some picture tomorrow.
Pierre

Return to “Evergreen”