HUGE Yamadori Olive - 1st Styling

Forum for discussion of Evergreen bonsai – Buxus, Cotoneaster, Olive etc.
Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Plum
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: Goulburn Bonsai Society

Re: HUGE Yamadori Olive - 1st Styling

Post by Watto »

When you ask a lot of people for an opinion, you get a lot of opinions. And now for mine - the real features of this tree are the size and the dead wood for me. The future will lie in the relationship between the two and with that in mind I think you should get your carving done first and when it gets to the stage that you are happy with it, design the size of the final tree around that.
I have a number of tall trees and a number of short squat trees and from my perspective there is no right or wrong way to design, it is what the tree decides for you mostly.
Great stock and please keep us informed with its progress.
Check out my blog at http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/blog/Watto" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Grainer
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 25
Bonsai Club: BSV

Post by Grainer »

Nice advice Watto..Think I will go with that.. time to get all the carving gear back out.. might try to figure out some #D styling technique.. as I would like it to have a hollow but with wood that has looked like it has rotted away with some swirls etc.. like below

I love olives.. petty I don't live in South Australia.. My last dig there was awesome.. huge thanks to a few bonsai people over there for hosting me.. wish I could do it again !
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Grainer on July 16th, 2016, 7:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Freestylebonsai.com - Release the spirit of the tree
Ethical Yamadori Bonsai Australia
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1634059 ... ?ref=br_tf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
apgar000
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by apgar000 »

I am just stunned, as an absolute amateur I can't get my head around what you've got there!
I can only dream and can't imagine having something that good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Grainer
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 25
Bonsai Club: BSV

Post by Grainer »

Hey mate get involved in a club and you will meet people like me that love to dig up feral plants and backyard treasures.. you 2 can easily own trees like this.
Freestylebonsai.com - Release the spirit of the tree
Ethical Yamadori Bonsai Australia
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1634059 ... ?ref=br_tf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “Evergreen”