HUGE Yamadori Olive - 1st Styling

Forum for discussion of Evergreen bonsai – Buxus, Cotoneaster, Olive etc.
Grainer
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 25
Bonsai Club: BSV

HUGE Yamadori Olive - 1st Styling

Post by Grainer »

Hi all,

I have had about 5 years off after my neighbour roundup my whole collection (about 50 trees - very mature and refined) by accident when killing off ivy along my fence line ..lets just say it destroyed me for a while and am now wanting to reinvigorate my passion..planning some digs around Melbourne soon before spring.. I have a small size collection since with a few big stocks in the ground, all stainless tools and a few sets of low quality and a bucket load of real old valuable japanese pots.. look forward to getting back into it.

anyway thats me

Had this in the backyard .. I chain sawed it from the base about 5 years ago.. Im actually surprised there isn't a Yamadori thread on this forum for people to get together to go on digs locally together..anyway for this tree..this is its first styling.. there is a lot of bark missing and hope one day to get someone to help with some fine detailed carving 9 I have all the tools etc)....any suggestions would be good. I have left most of the branching to let it develop over time and then eliminate branches as it develops. Its a pretty big tree and needs a lot of work.. about 1m+ tall and a HUGE base. It was collected from South Australia on a Bonsai Hunt with a bonsai friend at the time.
Critiques welcome to provide future directions..sorry photos aren't the greatest.. its what I could do at this stage..Hopefully the photos upload
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Grainer on July 13th, 2016, 10:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Freestylebonsai.com - Release the spirit of the tree
Ethical Yamadori Bonsai Australia
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1634059 ... ?ref=br_tf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Kevin
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 30

Re: HUGE Yamadori Olive - 1st Styling

Post by Kevin »

:crikey:

WOW!
:o :shock:

Kevin
Jarad
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Juniperus, Melaleuca, Taxodium
Bonsai Age: 9

Post by Jarad »

You certainly weren't lying when you said it was huge! :o
-Jarad

I don't trust Bonsai, they are a little shady.
peterb
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: olive
Bonsai Age: 5

Post by peterb »

Hey Grainer
wow sorry to hear about your loss, you must have been gutted. It worries me as my neighbor regularly wants to spray the mile a minute weed at the bottom of his garden . I've sort of solved it by offering to do it for him anytime it's bothering him. Getting back to your tree THAT'S HUGE, hope you've got some friends around whenever you have to repot :D
cheers peterb
CraigM
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 20
Bonsai Club: Waverley, Vic Native and BSV

Post by CraigM »

Stunning base. If this were my tree would probably reduce the height to the middle, already looks like you have the start to a new apex growing, let the new apex grow for a couple seasons to get a little height and taper. Something to think about.
dansai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Aussie Natives
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Coffs Harbour

Post by dansai »

CraigM wrote:Stunning base. If this were my tree would probably reduce the height to the middle, already looks like you have the start to a new apex growing, let the new apex grow for a couple seasons to get a little height and taper. Something to think about.
Totally agree
Travelling the Mid North Coast of NSW and beyond to attend Markets and other events

www.bonsaibus.com.au - www.facebook.com/TheBonsaiBus - www.instagram.com/thebonsaibus
melbrackstone
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: the ones that live
Bonsai Age: 28
Bonsai Club: Redlands, BIMER, VNBC

Post by melbrackstone »

I could understand you wanting to give it all away.... how awful!!!

Glad you didn't though, and what a fantastic olive to come back with!
KIRKY
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Flowering
Bonsai Age: 12

Post by KIRKY »

Hi Grainer, sorry to hear about your loss. Good your getting back into it :tu:
I agree with Craig too. Start a new leader and reduce the height. Airlayer the top off. Grainer are you a member of any bonsai clubs? There are usually some members in clubs that will have a real knack at carving, who may be able to give advice/assistance. Its easy to carve a tree. Its harder to get it just right. Not sure if there is a thread on here about carving?
With regards to your comment about "a Yamadori thread for people to get together to go on digs" are you looking for company on your next dig? I'm sure if you put it out there you will have some contenders.
Cheers
Kirky
Great oaks from little acorns grow.
Grainer
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Grainer »

Used to be with Bonsai Northwest in Melbourne, but wife had cancer plus life got in the way .. I have done a lot of carving.. but basic.. I would like to get intricate 3D carving on this tree .. not just a hole .. or gouge
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1634059 ... ?ref=br_tf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
KIRKY
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by KIRKY »

Agree, hopefully someone here will be able to advise. Like I said difficult to get it to look right if you don't know what your doing. As a suggestion.... Perhaps Lindsey Farr out at his bonsai nursery in Hawthorn or Trevor at Bonsai Art may be willing to offer advice or assistance. Both been in the industry a long while. I have found them both willing on advice and assistance. The only other person is Jeff from Chojo? He's up in Olinda I think. Perhaps someone here can advise his new address. I am sure he would be willing to help too. He used to do weekend work shops, not sure if he still does wouldn't hurt to ask. Good luck with it, its a great tree.
Cheers
Kirky
Grainer
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Grainer »

Maybe I communicated incorrectly, I have been doing bonsai for over 10 years now and am quite competent.. Was just looking for suggestions on styling.. but consensus is a chop.. Air layering is not an option as they're is a significant amount of deadwood throughout the trunk that needs to be carved..a huge challenge to get it looking great.. I have done many workshops under various masters and have been invited to fix up quite a few peoples trees in the past etc.. cheers
Last edited by Grainer on July 14th, 2016, 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
KIRKY
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by KIRKY »

No offence meant. Good luck with your tree.
Cheers
Grainer
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Grainer »

lol.. none ever taken..
GavinG
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: CBS

Post by GavinG »

I don't want to put a sparrow in the works, but for me, the best thing about that trunk is its height, its "reach for the sky" thing. I fear that if you cut it back it will just become ordinary. You will lose some of the curving in the trunk as well. And the top when it straightens up adds to the effect.

Just my 2c. It's a splendid beast.

Gavin
Andrew Legg
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: The ones that don't die
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: Oyama Bonsai Kai, Ausbonsai

Post by Andrew Legg »

If I look at this tree I see a problem with the height. The problem is that the lowest three branches you have there feel too low for the overall height. So, for me, a solution for this tree (from what I can see in the pics) may be to remove all the low foliage on the bottom three branches, and remove all the foliage up top. Kill the top off and carve it thinner and to put some movement into it, and grow the foliage mass that is currently half way up as a fairly compact group of pads.

What I can't see and what could very well affect this is the best viewing angle for taper/roots on the base, and the location of the live veins relative to that. Only more pics may show that.

Cheers

Return to “Evergreen”