Eriocephalus africanus - a primer

Forum for discussion of Evergreen bonsai – Buxus, Cotoneaster, Olive etc.
Matt S
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Olive
Bonsai Age: 30
Bonsai Club: S.A. Bonsai Society, Victorian Native Bonsai Club

Eriocephalus africanus - a primer

Post by Matt S »

Eriocephalus. 2.JPG
Eriocephalus. 4.jpg
I've had a few queries about this species since I posted some photos of examples by Chris Drinkwater. Chris did a talk on this species at last years Australian Convention in Adelaide so I cornered him and gleaned some information that was posted in the SA Bonsai Society's newsletter. Here's the article:

----------------------------------------

Eriocephalus africanus doesn't seem to be used as bonsai much even in it's native South Africa, therefore there is not much information on growing it in containers. The following information has been gleaned from various sources on the internet.
Eriocephalus africanusis a bushy shrublet indigenous to South Africa. It is known as the Cape Snow Bush or Kapokbossie (the Afikaans word for 'snow bush'); other common names refer to its fancied resemblance to rosemary, for example "African rosemary" or "Wild rosemary".
Eriocephalus africanus is found mostly on clay and granite slopes throughout the Western Cape and Eastern Cape. Along this wide distribution Eriocephalus africanus is quite variable, especially when comparing plants growing in the salty air along the coast with those growing under much drier conditions inland. In general, they all form bushy evergreen shrubs up to 1 metre with a silver, grey appearance.
Shrubs growing on the coast have succulent leaves whereas those growing away from the coast have thinner, less succulent leaves.
Flowering times vary, but the best displays are in winter when the whole shrub is covered in small white flowers.
Typical of the family Asteraceae, the flowers are a composition of 2-3 showy white florets on the outside and purple disc florets in the centre. Soon after flowering, fruits are formed that are covered in long white hairs. These attractive fluffy seed heads look like cotton wool or snow, which gave Eriocephalus the common name kapokbos in Affrikaans (Kapok refers to snow).
New plants are easy to propagate from seed or cuttings. The seed may be sown in autumn or spring and germinates within 10 days. Eriocephalus roots easily from tip or heel cuttings taken in spring or autumn.

Chris Drinkwater seems to be the only person who has any experience in growing this species as a bonsai. Here are some of his growing tips:
Fertilizer - The plant responds well to Dynamic Lifter or similar either as pellets or as a soup. Seasol or similar is good for stimulating root growth.
Watering - Keep the plant moist. If you notice a slight limpness to the leaves this means that the plant is drying out and needs watering urgently.
Roor Pruning - This can be done at any time as long as the plant has a healthy rootball. Don't bare root. Digging up an established bush - can be done anytime the soil is moist and a decent rootball can be removed. Doesn't seem to put down a big taproot.
Wiring - the new growth will take wire but once the wood sets it becomes extremely brittle.
Propagation - Very easy to take woody cuttings especially if a rooting hormone is used and the plant is in active growth. It would be worth trying air layering as the plant will naturally layer itself if a branch touches the ground.

----------------------------------------

I hope people find this useful. Chris finds these shrubs in Adelaide's northern suburbs where it was a popular shrub planted by councils in the 80's. He digs them up and uses the natural jins and sharis to advantage, sometimes supplementing them with driftwood. They are easiest to spot in late winter after they flower as the cotton wool like seed pods are very distinctive.

I've yet to find anyone else using this species as a bonsai, even in South Africa. If anyone has any information please let me know.

Matt.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Fluorine
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Eucalypts

Re: Eriocephalus africanus - a primer

Post by Fluorine »

Nice article. Thanks for the info.
Lane
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Undecided....
Bonsai Age: 3
Bonsai Club: School of Bonsai

Post by Lane »

I was immediately curious after seeing the photos in the other exhibition thread, thanks for posting.
greg27
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Olive & Eucalypts
Bonsai Age: 2
Bonsai Club: SA Bonsai Society; VNBC

Post by greg27 »

Bumping an old thread, I don't suppose Chris was more specific about where he finds these in the northern suburbs? I might need to go for a drive this winter :)
Matt S
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Olive
Bonsai Age: 30
Bonsai Club: S.A. Bonsai Society, Victorian Native Bonsai Club

Post by Matt S »

Hi Greg,

No, Chris didn't give any more clues. I have a couple of cuttings growing strongly in my front yard though!

Matt.

Return to “Evergreen”