Lantana "yama"

Forum for discussion of Evergreen bonsai – Buxus, Cotoneaster, Olive etc.
banksia
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Melaleucas, Callistemons, Bougies
Bonsai Age: 14

Lantana "yama"

Post by banksia »

Gday everyone!
I dug this roughly 4 months ago and was wondering if anybody had bothered with this as a bonsai subject?
I'm going at a semi-cascade...and since digging, it's just powered away!!
I've seen a couple of young nursery bought subjects developed into small,dainty informal uprights...but nothing collected or advanced.
Does anyone have any advice/knowledge on Lantana?

P.S Im well versed on the moral stance when it comes to this species, but unlike the East Coast, it's not so much of a problem over here.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Plum
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: Goulburn Bonsai Society

Re: Lantana "yama"

Post by Watto »

That is great looking stock. I don't know anything about these as they don't grow where I live (a bit cool in the winter) however they had one in flower at the National Bonsai and Penjing Collection of Australia recently and that look wonderful.
I think we may need to put our prejudices about certain species behind us and just appreciate the art and the beauty of the bonsai.
Check out my blog at http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/blog/Watto" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
boom64
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Almond
Bonsai Age: 2

Post by boom64 »

That's a great looking base Banksia. All i know about them is they grow at an exceptionally fast rate around here. Have looked at a few but they are all mainly tall, straight ,and thin.. Good luck with yours .Cheers John.
Rory
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Baeckea Phebalium Casuarina & Banksia
Bonsai Age: 24

Post by Rory »

They can be quite a thirsty tree.
If the soil is a bit on the dry side and the leaves start to wilt in the extreme heat (40 degrees plus), the leaves will generally recover if you water it quickly.
They are reasonably hardy, but they don't like the soil drying out. You will probably get die back if you let the soil dry out badly on a hot or windy day.

Don't bother with Jin (deadwood). It just rots so fast.

They usually will bud close to the cut from a trunk chop. Best to do this in spring or summer.

Don't wire them! They can be prone to growth spurts, so if you leave the wire on just a fraction too long and it bites into the branch, you won't see the scars heal until you apply for the Age Pension.

They flower prolifically. In my area they flower for most of the year.

The soil does not like to be kept constantly wet, but it does like to be watered well. In other words water it very thoroughly, then only water again when it is almost dry.

Do not over pot them. They don't like to be kept in damp conditions as it rots the roots. In my opinion it needs very similar treatment as a bougainvillea.

During root pruning just take care, as the roots are easily damaged.
They love and respond very well to fertilizer and will grow well if kept in a medium to well draining mix.

I love them.
Ray nesci has the best lantana species to grow, as he has cultivated by only propagating the smaller leaf varieties and has the spectacular orange/yellow flower variant.

I grow very few exotics, but with this particlar variant I have a fond admiration for.
Rory
I style Bonsai naturally, just as they would appear in the wild.
Central Coast, NSW
Bonsai: Casuarina Leptospermum Banksia Phebalium Baeckea Melalueca Ficus

Growing Australian natives as Bonsai: viewtopic.php?p=289480#p289480

Buying and repotting Native nursery material: viewtopic.php?f=78&t=30724

Growing tips for Casuarina as Bonsai: viewtopic.php?p=244995#p244995

How to reduce moss from the trunk without damaging the bark: viewtopic.php?p=295227#p295227
kcpoole
Perpetual Learner
Perpetual Learner
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: the School Of Bonsai

Post by kcpoole »

Lantana Make excellent Bonsai.
Many in the school have one or 2, and until recently, one of them was the Arboretum.
I think leigh learnt a fair bit about maintaining them while there :lol:
they are Brittle as hell, thirsty as hell, grow like blazes but are really bullet proof and produce flowers to boot.

Some are infertile and seeds will not grow, so the only thing to worry about it cuttings germinating and spreading. I just make sure mine are in a small tub for a few weeks and well dired out before throwing them out.

PS Ray has a white/ yellow flowering one too and my version of that one got eaten last winter by rats and perished. :-(

Ken
Last edited by kcpoole on February 7th, 2017, 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Check out our Wiki for awesome bonsai information www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki
What is Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Bonsai
What should I do now? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Newbie
How do I grow a Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _a_Bonsai?
Visit a Bonsai nursery to see some real nice trees http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _Nurseries
Rory
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Baeckea Phebalium Casuarina & Banksia
Bonsai Age: 24

Post by Rory »

kcpoole wrote: PS Ray has a white/ yellow flowering one too and my version of that one got eaten last winter by rats and perished. :-(

Ken
Thanks for the tip. I might have to ask him about one of these next time I'm there. :beer:
Rory
I style Bonsai naturally, just as they would appear in the wild.
Central Coast, NSW
Bonsai: Casuarina Leptospermum Banksia Phebalium Baeckea Melalueca Ficus

Growing Australian natives as Bonsai: viewtopic.php?p=289480#p289480

Buying and repotting Native nursery material: viewtopic.php?f=78&t=30724

Growing tips for Casuarina as Bonsai: viewtopic.php?p=244995#p244995

How to reduce moss from the trunk without damaging the bark: viewtopic.php?p=295227#p295227
banksia
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by banksia »

Thanks for the interest/replies guys.
Rory! From what I've observed, your spot on about the likeliness of bougainvillea. I'll definitely keep that in mind.
As I said, it's powering away...there's roots already coming through the bottom of this styro!! :o
Some suggestions on styling is what I'm after.
I was thinking on getting rid of the left hand trunk. My photoshop skills are limited to say the least...anyone?...and making the overall composition more compact/manageable.
This one has a different bloom to those mentioned....it's mauve with a yellow centre.

Cheers!
Anthony :tu:
banksia
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by banksia »

Just a photo update...more to see how the image resizing result turns out

Cheers
Anthony
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Evergreen”