Crataegus (Hawthorn)

Forum for discussion of Evergreen bonsai – Buxus, Cotoneaster, Olive etc.
SueBee
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Wisteria,EE.
Bonsai Age: 2
Bonsai Club: VBC, Always Learning via Net, Reading & practice.

Crataegus (Hawthorn)

Post by SueBee »

I have just found an interesting Hawthorn seedling in my garden. The trunk is bent in two directions and I hope will eventually make an interesting Bonsai.What I need to know is what to do next - it about 40cm high at the moment. Should I leave it grow? Trim it? or dig, root prune and replant? or pot it now? I have put a pic of it in my album along with one of the root direction but they loaded sideways.
Thanks for Sharing
SueBee

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Marcus Tullius Cicero
Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Plum
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: Goulburn Bonsai Society

Re: Crataegus (Hawthorn)

Post by Watto »

Hi Sue,
I didn't say hello before, so welcome and I hope you enjoy your experiences.
I love to dig hawthorn and the best time is late August. The tree shown could do with a bit more growing on to give it some thickness in the trunk. Just let it grow as much as it likes until you decide its time for it to become part of your collection.
It is probably best if you could post a photo with your question/story to save everyone going to your gallery, just for the sake of ease. I think there are some "instructions" in wiki that may help you.
Cheers
Watto
Check out my blog at http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/blog/Watto" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

I agree with all Watto has written. Early spring seems to be a good time to transplant hawthorn for me too.

When letting a tree grow freely in the ground just check every now and then to make sure the strong leader does not overpower the lower growth or that a lower sucker does not take off and grow too big.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SueBee
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by SueBee »

Thank you both for the comments, I will leave it in ground for a couple of years and see what eventuates.
Thanks for Sharing
SueBee

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Marcus Tullius Cicero
SueBee
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by SueBee »

A local farmer has given me access to some Hawthorns on his land but tells me they are hard to transplant. Does anyone know if this is the case? I do not want to kill it in the moving as it will be both hard work and a waste of his tree. I do plan to wait for winter to transplant. Thought I might begin by ringing it down to shovel depth to cut roots and then leave it till winter to let feeders grow- a good idea or not?
Thanks for Sharing
SueBee

shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by shibui »

I have transplanted a few smaller hawthorns but have not tackled larger ones yet. The ones I have dug have survived. Watto will probably give the best advice.
Cutting the roots with a shovel is an accepted way of promoting feeder roots. The problem I find is that the roots are cut too far out from the trunk so after collecting I need to shorten roots further to get it into a pot. Probably a better idea to work out what size pot you intend to use, mark that diameter out around the trunk and cut a bit inside the line.

Killing a hawthorn is not the end of the world. They are a weed and most land managers would be glad to see them gone. Many get killed if we don't collect them and you will have learnt some valuable things in the attempt even if it proves unsuccessful.
peterb
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: olive
Bonsai Age: 5

Post by peterb »

Hi Suebee
I've collected a few bigger hawthorns here around adelaide, I killed a few and then a friend of mine said that he collects them as soon as the leaves have dropped. He said he was having close to 100% success. I've tried it on 3 now and all have survived. You might give that a go
Cheers
Peterb
Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Plum
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: Goulburn Bonsai Society

Post by Watto »

In my experience hawthorns are not the easiest trees to dig but they are certainly rewarding. In comparison with Elm, Privet or Maple they are more difficult, but in about the same range as plums, but easier than most Australian natives.
A few things that have work is when you dig try to get then in the smallest training pot you can (within reason of course) but they appear not to do so well when over-potted. In our area we try to dig on the last week of August, but as Perter has suggested there are other suitable times.
When Tony Tickle was in Australia this year, and he is a world renowned expert on hawthorn, he did suggest the method mentioned below, but it could be that the extra heat is not needed in Australia. We have dug some small and very large ones with a success rate of around 80% so probably that is not too bad.
Tony's blog is worth a read.

https://yamadori.co.uk/tag/black-bag/
Check out my blog at http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/blog/Watto" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
melbrackstone
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: the ones that live
Bonsai Age: 28
Bonsai Club: Redlands, BIMER, VNBC

Post by melbrackstone »

Thanks for the link Watto, very interesting info there!
SueBee
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by SueBee »

I have to admit I abused the roots a bit in the getting it out from beside the septic tank.There are several small shoots/branches and some shoots on the root too so I have laid it raft style with branches facing up in a training pot.Time will tell.
Thank you for that link Watto - very informative....and inspiring!
Last edited by SueBee on November 20th, 2017, 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thanks for Sharing
SueBee

wiggs
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Fig
Bonsai Age: 1

Post by wiggs »

Can anyone advise the best fertiliser for well established Bonsai Hawthorn then?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by shibui »

There is no 'best' fertiliser for hawthorn. They are do well with any complete fertiliser. I use a high K flowering fertiliser after mid summer to help promote flowers and fruit the following spring.
SueBee
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by SueBee »

Sad to report that the farmer I was going to get the hawthorn Yamadori from was burnt out in the Terang/Garvoc fires. He has lost everything,home,garden,fences etc etc. Will be interesting to see what shoots back after the fires. We are going out on the 14th for cleanup with Permaculture Southwest .Wonder how Hawthorns like fire?
Thanks for Sharing
SueBee

shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by shibui »

How trees respond depends how hot the fire was at the time it went past. Lightly singed hawthorn may sprout again from the trunk. Most will probably sprout from the roots and some will be killed completely.
Great that your group is able to provide some support and assistance to some of the landowners out there.
SueBee
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by SueBee »

Andrews container..jpg
This pic shows how hot the fire was Shibui. This was the end on a container...yet the aluminium ladder is not melted completely. Two other containers on the top ridge are scorched but unburned...I guess it depended on fuel loading and Andrews place is an old bluestone quarry so plenty of rocky ground. So hard to begin from ashes of everything but he is keen to get planting his garden again...doesn't seem so concerned about his home as his his garden. He is staying with me at the moment with his dog Fred until he can sort out alternative living conditions on his block. he is the President of our local Permaculture group and very giving of his knowledge and time so it is only fair that we return the favor in clean up work. Wish I was younger and able to do more physical work....I am collecting plants for him and a local nursery has donated him half a dozen fruit trees. We will have a planting bee later in winter for bare root trees.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by SueBee on April 9th, 2018, 10:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
Thanks for Sharing
SueBee

Return to “Evergreen”