2 New Boxwood’s

Forum for discussion of Evergreen bonsai – Buxus, Cotoneaster, Olive etc.
The Munt
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Juniperus Procumbens
Bonsai Age: 1
Bonsai Club: BSOQ

2 New Boxwood’s

Post by The Munt »

Went and visited Steve (AUS Bonsai Grower) at Park Ridge today and picked out my first two Boxwood’s and i’m Keen to have a crack at training these trees. I’ve been researching as much as possible what qualifies as good movement, Nebari and planning the tree before picking the stock and thought i’d Put it into practice. I spent a good while looking through the stock, Steve has a great setup that makes it easy to pick your species / size and then choose the best material in that area. While i’m very new to this process I was happy with what I came home with and think they have potential.

I wanted to try an upright traditional, somewhat natural looking Bonsai with a triangular foliage and I came home with this Buxus Harlandii.
0C01EAE0-582F-4A30-984B-448FE69FC6E4.jpeg
The design should go something like this.
7456DDDE-B184-4834-9696-FA9605B449FE.jpeg
And I also envisioned a winswept style tree that Curves heavily to the right, I was hoping for an exaggerated root to the right and perhaps a Rock or Shiwan figure under the curve. I ended up choosing this Japanese Box.
846CEC11-B566-4EC0-9877-AF78AFC832C8.jpeg
The design I was considering
5EEDD62C-AC9D-427E-989E-0F9A3A6F4CD0.jpeg
This will be my first real attempt at Bonsai styling, was hoping to get stuck in today but unfortunately I had to do an emergency project at home today so i’ll Try again tomorrow and post the results here. Happy for comments or critique. :yes:

Thanks
Dan
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
It’s all about the new experience!
Keep Calm and Ramify
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Re: 2 New Boxwood’s

Post by Keep Calm and Ramify »

:wave: The Munt,
Nice lookin' root spread on that second one. Have fun with these :D .
The Munt
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Juniperus Procumbens
Bonsai Age: 1
Bonsai Club: BSOQ

Re: 2 New Boxwood’s

Post by The Munt »

My first styling session...

Attacked the Japanese box today, decided there was a better front than initially planned so I ended up turning it around and swooping left.

Before:
A2A67374-3F93-4C17-BDBD-402A66BFEBB1.jpeg
After:
11965253-8501-4DA2-9F50-2B5C857EFC0B.jpeg
It was good to finally give it a go and I look forward to improving this each year. :tu:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
It’s all about the new experience!

Return to “Evergreen”