Juniper And ficus questions

Forum for discussion of Evergreen bonsai – Buxus, Cotoneaster, Olive etc.
Bmstt
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Juniper
Bonsai Age: 0

Juniper And ficus questions

Post by Bmstt »

Hi all I have a few quick questions! Any help would be greatly appreciate as I am new to this :)

Juniper - Sargent
I recently bought a 4 yr Sargent. I live in Sydney and currently my balcony gets about 6 hours of good sun light a day, but even after just 4 days of owning the juniper, it appears the needles have started browning ? Is this due to too much sun or something else?

Ficus retusa
Also will my tiger fig struggle to live in Sydney’s conditions outside in winter. I have had mixed reactions reading online, can anyone give me some insight into what’s the lowest temperature the ficus can survive without having to come inside for the winter

Any help is really appreciate!!!!!
kez
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines, Junipers

Re: Juniper And ficus questions

Post by kez »

Both of these species will grow well in Sydney,

Juniper won’t show signs of ill health over 4 days, the way the sap travels through the tree it is often up to a month after significant stress that signs will begin to show, and in most cases it’s too late. Unless you have bought a tree that already has health issues I would suggest it’s just winter colour

As far as the fig, as long as it’s protected from frost it should be fine
RogerW
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: all
Bonsai Age: 28
Bonsai Club: Canberra Bonsai Society

Post by RogerW »

Pictures would help.
Bmstt
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Bmstt »

Here is a photo of the juniper!

Thanks for the reply, if there’s anything visually wrong let me know! Thanks! Image
robb63
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: figs & junipers
Bonsai Age: 4

Post by robb63 »

G-day Bmstt
Your juniper may be just showing winter colour[hopfully]. Some of mine look very similar.
Then again if you purchased it from one of the big hardware chains?? chances are it may be unwell or worse.
If its from a commercial nursery then at least its had some regular watering so could be fine.
The hardware's down my way rarely if ever water the trees in their bonsai section, I now know!!
The sun on your balcony is enough for the bonsai but don't over water. Let them dry a bit in between watering.
Judging from the soil mix the juniper is in I would water every second day maximum, even three days if it feels damp.
Ficus is much hardier and the best place for it in Sydney is outside. Since you have a balcony you wont have
benefit from rain and dew so need to keep watering regularly. No problem keeping all ficus outside in Sydney, they love it.
You appear to be new to bonsai.? If so one thing I learnt that helped in the start was to go to bonsai nurseries.
Here in Sydney we have several choices where you will find better bonsai for your money and good people willing to help.
Just noticed the wire in your picture looks like its cutting in. I would unwind it carefully or cut if you have bonsai wire-cutters.
Hope your trees thrive and in time your balcony is choker block with bonsai.

cheers
Last edited by robb63 on June 26th, 2018, 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bmstt
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Bmstt »

Hi robb63

I actually purchased it from southnursery bonsai in Sydney, so in saying that I’m assuming it’s pretty well looked after, hopefully it’s just some winter browning,

I’m hoping to get a few pre made bonsai to get the hang of things and some ideas bouncing around in my head before I buy some stock trees to have a go with designing and shaping them myself! Today was the the first time I had watered it since Sunday, the soil seemed pretty dry so I gave it a water.

Thanks for the advice on the wiring I think on the weekend I’ll remove the wire to free it up a little

Once again thanks for your help
anthonyW
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Figs,Pines.

Post by anthonyW »

Your conifer is fine, plus a good shape for young - ing and from one of Australias best stock growers, as Kez said for the fig, relax and my friend....and he does classes if your are really keen.

Anthony
Last edited by anthonyW on June 26th, 2018, 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Evergreen”