Ground grown succulents

Forum for discussion of Evergreen bonsai – Buxus, Cotoneaster, Olive etc.
Ryszil
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: All
Bonsai Age: 0

Ground grown succulents

Post by Ryszil »

Hi guys,

My wife and I bought our house a couple of years ago, the previous owner was an elderly woman who could no longer look after the garden. Having recently gotten into bonsai I have been looking around to see what is around I can use. I had never really considered jades and the like as I prefer pines and deciduous trees etc. but having seen the post Jade time! by Matt S (viewtopic.php?f=130&t=25247 ) I realise how amazing these can actually be. My back and front yard has a plethora of succulents that have never really seen much attention apart from supplying my kids schools with cut off for fetes and the like. I'm wondering if these are still workable or are they too far gone? The trunks would be up to 100mm wide with some being at least 1m tall.
IMG_2281 med.jpg
IMG_2282 med.jpg
IMG_2283 med.jpg
IMG_2284 med.jpg
IMG_2289.jpg
IMG_2290.jpg
There are a lot more but I thought I'd just see first before I get too carried away. I'm under no illusions that I'll achieve something likes Matt's but I'd hate to see them go to waste, my wife wants them eventually cleared out anyway.

Thanks, Russ
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Ryszil on September 13th, 2018, 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
melbrackstone
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: the ones that live
Bonsai Age: 28
Bonsai Club: Redlands, BIMER, VNBC

Re: Ground grown succulents

Post by melbrackstone »

Keep the ones with good thick trunks, flog off the rest...don't even need to put them in pots, gumtree people are often prepared to take newspaper wrapped pieces, especially if they're cheap.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Re: Ground grown succulents

Post by shibui »

The small leaf jade is better for bonsai. I don't think the larger leaves look so good as bonsai but you might like to play with them for experience.
I'm pretty sure that jade will shoot on older trunks if you need to prune any of these back really hard to get a good size and shape. I know that Don Deluca was making jin and shari on jades a couple of years ago so you may even be able to make deadwood to disguise some chops.
Large cuttings are also possible so even if the stumps are not good looking you may find some potential further up the trunks.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “Evergreen”