Olive Advice

Forum for discussion of Evergreen bonsai – Buxus, Cotoneaster, Olive etc.
Sbwright
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ficus and Olives
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: South Australian Bonsai Society

Olive Advice

Post by Sbwright »

Hi All,

I had this Olive bought for me at the yearly Bonsai Show in SA. I have had it home for about 3 weeks or so and its putting out growth like a monster. I have had to trim sprouts from the base of the trunk twice. I will be going to a workshop in a couple of weeks to get some one on one advice but was wondering if I should be doing anything in the meantime. Trimming or wiring? Or just keeping it fed and watered.

I have cut back some shoots that we growing in towards the main trunk. But am reticent to go further at this stage.
0587B35E-E069-446C-A411-725C0858CB99.jpeg
62A8B7FB-D32B-4F28-947C-6184E475D24B.jpeg
0CCBC520-CB58-459C-8EE1-2BA4454B290A.jpeg
FC1B9576-980C-411C-A58A-1F77E948687C.jpeg
E770F850-82E2-4112-8511-331D52795411.jpeg
B9163764-BFC2-423F-A2B9-D52107C46F9D.jpeg
Thanks for what ever advice you can give.

Sean
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Matt S
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Olive
Bonsai Age: 30
Bonsai Club: S.A. Bonsai Society, Victorian Native Bonsai Club

Re: Olive Advice

Post by Matt S »

Hi Sean,

That tree has a nice base with good taper and movement, there's plenty you can do with it.

If you're taking it to a workshop I'd just give it a good feed and remove any shoots coming from the base. The more options you have on the rest of the tree the better.

Matt.
Sbwright
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Sbwright »

Matt S wrote:Hi Sean,

That tree has a nice base with good taper and movement, there's plenty you can do with it.

If you're taking it to a workshop I'd just give it a good feed and remove any shoots coming from the base. The more options you have on the rest of the tree the better.

Matt.
Matt,

Thanks I hope to be at the SA Bonsai Society Workshop night on the 20th. I will develop patience until then.

Sean
Sbwright
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Sbwright »

Well, I attended the said workshop. If you are in SA and need some pointers, join up the SA Bonsai society, well worth it even if you live 2.5 hours away like me.

Phil was kind enough to help me out with the Olive. Some of the advice I had heard before but it’s always good to have someone put it into context.

Here’s the finished result.
FD58EB1F-E4D5-44AC-9712-E0A20F7A2365.jpeg
63BF967C-6C66-4DEF-9771-4489440988D9.jpeg
BA626B58-2C0B-4229-AA2C-5BE2A82E9770.jpeg
0AFF5172-92D1-408D-B8BE-3A11C9A9DBED.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maples, Elms, Cedars and Pines
Bonsai Age: 7
Bonsai Club: Waverley Bonsai Group & Yarra Valley Bonsai Society

Post by MJL »

Hi Sean,

Nice stock!

It always interest me how photos can help and change the feeling of the tree. The light and background on this second set of photos - it sets off the dramatic and stark nature of the tree. Whether it was meant or not, the cooler light somehow brings out the dramatic nature of the stock. To me, the tree has a haunted look; I like it and look forward to watching it develop.

Cheers,

Mark
Tending bonsai teaches me patience.
Sbwright
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Sbwright »

MJL wrote:Hi Sean,

Nice stock!

It always interest me how photos can help and change the feeling of the tree. The light and background on this second set of photos - it sets off the dramatic and stark nature of the tree. Whether it was meant or not, the cooler light somehow brings out the dramatic nature of the stock. To me, the tree has a haunted look; I like it and look forward to watching it develop.

Cheers,

Mark

Cheers Mark. From memory this series has a cool filter and hi def filter applied. I fell in love with the trunk on this one. It comes from Stansbury SA. Lots of haunted looking trees on the peninsula.
Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Plum
Bonsai Club: Goulburn Bonsai Society

Post by Watto »

Hi Sbwright, this tree has improved significantly and I echo your words about joining local bonsai groups as it improves everyone's understanding of bonsai.
If I may ask, would it be possible to make your photos just a little bit larger. The small size makes it difficult to see some of the merits of the tree.
Check out my blog at http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/blog/Watto" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “Evergreen”