Atlantic Cedar Glauca - NBPCA

Forum for discussion of Evergreen bonsai – Buxus, Cotoneaster, Olive etc.
Boics
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Banksia, Syzygium, Cotoneaster. Leptospermum
Bonsai Age: 7

Re: Atlantic Cedar Glauca - NBPCA

Post by Boics »

I reckon this is a winner.
Has really been taken to the next level and softened the top Jin which was IMHO the weaker style element of this tree.

Good stuff and great progression.
One of the fabulous things about growing bonsai is as you get old and decrepit your trees get old and beautiful
Josh
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: pines
Bonsai Age: 4
Bonsai Club: Mt Waverly

Post by Josh »

I didn't think much of the first pic in the thread. I do how ever love this last photo BUT I'm uncomfortable with the top section of the trunk. Something just doesn't sit right for me. I can't tell what it is though. It's hard to tell from the pic how the jin sits but something doesn't look right to me. Apart from that I love the balance of the pads. Could we possibly get a side photo please :fc:

Josh
GavinG
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: CBS

Post by GavinG »

Once again, the photo doesn't do complete justice to the tree. It's a large tree, and tends to stare down at you, rather than the other way round. Peter's comment is accurate on the photo, in my opinion, but in 3D there is enough textural interest in the trunk, and enough depth in the foliage for me not to feel that the trunk is too open. Each to his/her own.

I'm not sucking up to Leigh - there ares a couple of trees in the collection that I'm not particularly keen on, but these two are always a pleasure to check out when I'm volunteering there.

Gavin
raewynk
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Styrax,juniper,pine,anything that has a leaf on it
Bonsai Age: 1
Bonsai Club: bonsaiempire.com

Post by raewynk »

I love the last photo, its great to hear of bonsai's still being donated, for us all to enjoy and admire.

I never had the pleasure of meeting the former owner, but his style is distinguished if I can use that word.
Clean and natural lines.

R.I.P.

Regards

Rae
My grey hair is my solar panel, as with the leaf on the bonsai is theirs.
bodhidharma
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: English Elm
Bonsai Age: 24
Bonsai Club: goldfields

Post by bodhidharma »

A great tree Guy's, well done. Its looks like you have used copper wire, yes? Did you undercut any of the branches for them to set. Love the branch placement.
"Advice is rarely welcome, and the one's who need it the most welcome it the least"
Rory
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Baeckea Phebalium Casuarina & Banksia

Post by Rory »

Very nice. Makes me wish that I could grow them, but not enough sun where I live. Beautiful though, great work.
Rory
I style Bonsai naturally, just as they would appear in the wild.
Central Coast, NSW
Bonsai: Casuarina Leptospermum Banksia Phebalium Baeckea Melalueca Ficus

Growing Australian natives as Bonsai: viewtopic.php?p=289480#p289480

Buying and repotting Native nursery material: viewtopic.php?f=78&t=30724

Growing tips for Casuarina as Bonsai: viewtopic.php?p=244995#p244995

How to reduce moss from the trunk without damaging the bark: viewtopic.php?p=295227#p295227
Grant Bowie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Banksia
Bonsai Age: 52
Bonsai Club: Canberra

Post by Grant Bowie »

bodhidharma wrote:A great tree Guy's, well done. Its looks like you have used copper wire, yes? Did you undercut any of the branches for them to set. Love the branch placement.
I will tackle this question and also give a history of the tree; as it pre dates the NBPCA, Leigh and myself.

The tree was purchased by a group of "friends of the artist" a couple of years before the artists death and 2 years before the formation of the NBPCA in 2007.

Joe worked on a lot of cedars over his time but most had been sold by 2005 and so this one was purchased to donate to the NBPCA if it was successfully formed and opened; which of course it did in 2007.

The tree lost a major branch in 2006 and so when it was donated to the NBPCA in 2007 it was a very different tree than originally intended and without the original artist to give guidance to its necessary future reshaping. It was a difficult tree to restyle as it is slow growing, out of shape but with very major jins and sharis. and very stiff and awkward looking for various reasons.

Anyhow we slowly got the tree into good health and started placing the foliage into position and trying to regrow a branch similar to the one that was lost; a long, heavy branch on the right hand side. Progress was slow as every time we took the wire off(aluminium) it just sprang back into position.

This year the tree had done so well in its new home at the Arboretum ; due to much more sun than the old NBPCA home in Commonwealth Park. Anyhow we removed the aluminium wire a couple of months ago and the job fell to me to continue its training; but this time I chose to use copper wire and it instantly made a big difference to the ease of shaping and bending. For instance the two left hand branches bent down so much easier using the copper wire that I was emboldened to really go for it. Also, now that I had retired, I had the time to devote to the tree that hadn't really been available the previous few years. I spent about 3 days working on the tree with the result that you can see.

Yes I used copper wire but no I did not feel the need to undercut the branches as they were bending this year much easier due to the use of the copper wire. Time will tell.

Peter H made a comment about the starkness of the trunk. The Jins and Sharis of this tree are, in my opinion, the best and the worst features of the tree at the same time. They are so stark and in your face that they shouldn't be covered up but they are of course so stark and in your face that they should be covered up; a conundrum that I am not sure if will ever be resolved!

Re branch placement I am very happy with the final result and finally having enough foliage to achieve the result.

This tree is now in its 8th year of care by the NBPCA.

Grant
bodhidharma
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: English Elm
Bonsai Club: goldfields

Post by bodhidharma »

Thanks for the comprehensive reply Grant, much appreciated. I have an old one of these which i am styling into formal upright and this will help no end.
"Advice is rarely welcome, and the one's who need it the most welcome it the least"
Mitch_28
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Cedrus Atlantics Glauca

Post by Mitch_28 »

Just stumbled across this thread. I have a soft spot for these cedars. Great looking tree! Thought I would see if this tree is still in circulation and maybe get some updated photos. Cheers, Mitch

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
NBPCA
National Bonsai and Penjing Collection of Australia
National Bonsai and Penjing Collection of Australia
Favorite Species: All
Bonsai Age: 14
Bonsai Club: All Australian Clubs

Post by NBPCA »

Hi Everyone

Below is a picture of the tree back in the early 2000's when still in the backyard of Joe Micallef.
Then I have attached a picture of the tree as it is today.

It is the aim of Curators at the NBPCA to continually improve the bonsai in the permanent collection, I think that is very well demonstrated with this cedar. Since arriving at the Collection, this tree has been worked on by Grant Bowie, Leigh Taafe, Jim Miller, and more recently Sam Thompson.

Enjoy.
IMG_0380.jpg
IMG_0379 small.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jiro
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Can I like them all?
Bonsai Age: 18

Post by Jiro »

Absolutely stunning!

Joe sure left the solid foundations for what has become a sublime piece. I love the comparison to 15+ years ago. Great inspiration and a reminder about how we can create a piece of beauty that will potentially outlast even our grand kids.
Keels
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines, Eucalyptus and Callistemon
Bonsai Age: 11
Bonsai Club: CBS, Goulburn & VNBC

Post by Keels »

:lol: your joking right? That is a crazy transformation! That tree is amazing. I enjoyed the story of this tree...you guys have done some amazing work with this tree.
Mitch_28
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Cedrus Atlantics Glauca

Post by Mitch_28 »

[SMILING FACE WITH HEART-SHAPED EYES] Wow
What a tree!

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
Jdceng
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: All
Bonsai Age: 30

Post by Jdceng »

:worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:
JC
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maples, Elms, Cedars and Pines
Bonsai Age: 7
Bonsai Club: Waverley Bonsai Group & Yarra Valley Bonsai Society

Post by MJL »

Brilliant evolution/transformation.

Inspirational. Well done to everyone who has helped to date and indeed, continues to shape a fantastic tree. Love it.

Bonsai teaches me patience.
Tending bonsai teaches me patience.

Return to “Evergreen”