Privet/Ligustrum, Indian Privet/Clerodendron

Forum for discussion of Evergreen bonsai – Buxus, Cotoneaster, Olive etc.
MelaQuin
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: olives & natives
Bonsai Age: 20
Bonsai Club: Illawarra Bonsai Society, Bonsai Society of A

Privet/Ligustrum, Indian Privet/Clerodendron

Post by MelaQuin »

Why in the hell apologise for working with privet. It is WONDERFUL material. Easy to grow, responsive, small leaves. And let it flower.... unless there is an asthmatic in the house. Privet flowers are beautiful and they don't come too far off the foliage. The smell isn't roses but don't get that close. When and only when the flowers brown... then cut 'em off. In the wild privet is hell but under our intense cultivation it makes a super bonsai and is great material for beginners because it is so willing and hardy. It is good material for beginners to collect as it is hardy.
Fontaine 2008-09.jpg
And while on the subject of privet, don't overlook Clerodendron [commonly called Indian Privet]. You can get it at nurseries [I'm talking Sydney] and stock plants usually look revolting. But it is a FAST developer, FAST thickener, FAST grower. Keeping it under wraps is far harder than keeping it going. In the ground the shoots produce large slender oval leaves widely spaced. In a pot the shrinkage is incredible and the leaves become far smaller and are produced in tight profusion. AND it flowers... flowers on old wood from the crotch of branchlets... so pruning off buds when pruning long shoots [as in crabapple] doesn't happen. The flowers are white and tiny, perfectly suited to shohin. I would be loathe to try mame due to its virulent growth habits. I got a tree from hideous to benchable in less than 15 months but the problem is keeping it in shape for an exhibition. But you can learn a great deal with the species. Branches can be removed and new ones will develop rapidly. It shoots from old wood, it shoots from everywhere [well, almost everywhere... trying for a back branch on one tree and the bloody beast is being recalcitrant]. The bark is heavily textured and creamy. This is a great tree.

LONG LIVE PRIVET in its many manifestations.

With the Clerodendron, I have found that the plants I have purchased in the past two years, 3 of them, had all been seriously underwatered. It took each tree about three to four months to recover and not a great deal happened. The trees were SOOOO ugly. Really ugly. Then growth started, I did a bit of shaping, a bit more growth and the bonsai in each started to emerge quickly. Then it becomes exciting...
Clerondendron2006-10 1.jpg
Clerodendron 2008-09.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by MelaQuin on January 18th, 2009, 11:46 am, edited 3 times in total.
PeterW
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Re: Privet/Ligustrum, Indian Privet/Clerendendron

Post by PeterW »

MelaQuin wrote:Why in the hell apologise for working with privet. It is WONDERFUL material. Easy to grow, responsive, small leaves. And let it flower.... unless there is an asthmatic in the house. Privet flowers are beautiful and they don't come too far off the foliage. The smell isn't roses but don't get that close. When and only when the flowers brown... then cut 'em off. In the wild privet is hell but under our intense cultivation it makes a super bonsai and is great material for beginners because it is so willing and hardy. It is good material for beginners to collect as it is hardy.LONG LIVE PRIVET in its many manifestations.

Let it flower......I assume you keep your privet outside? Is there no wind where you live? I think we should be allowed to grow them or at least collect them also, but some education would clearly be required, we must be seen to be responsible in keeping them or we may find a large fine from the EPA in our letterboxes! Our local shire councils spend a small fortune every year (of tax payers money) to try and keep them and other weeds from spreading. Its a bit of a slap in the face for them dont you think?
Just my opinion MQ.
Regards
Peter
MelaQuin
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by MelaQuin »

The flowers are harmless... unless you have allergies. The flowers produce the berries so removing the flowers when they brown off and before the berries develop and there are no berries and no reproduction. Therefore it is a safe tree in a bonsai situation.

Privets are very popular in Sydney, most are collected but some nurseries are being sneaky selling 'Ligustrum'.

If you are going to be so pedantic about privet, what about olives? They are the greatest pest unhung in South Australia but make absolutely stunning bonsai. Like anything, responsible ownership goes a long way to redeeming a 'bad' plant and privets make wonderful bonsai!!!
PeterW
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by PeterW »

MelaQuin wrote:The flowers are harmless... unless you have allergies. The flowers produce the berries so removing the flowers when they brown off and before the berries develop and there are no berries and no reproduction. Therefore it is a safe tree in a bonsai situation.

Privets are very popular in Sydney, most are collected but some nurseries are being sneaky selling 'Ligustrum'.

If you are going to be so pedantic about privet, what about olives? They are the greatest pest unhung in South Australia but make absolutely stunning bonsai. Like anything, responsible ownership goes a long way to redeeming a 'bad' plant and privets make wonderful bonsai!!!
Sorry if i was coming across as pedantic MQ, i dont even feel very strongly about it at all really! As i have said several times now, i think we should be able to grow them as bonsai also. (provided we dont let them flower) I just copied an extract from the gov website for you to take a look at and maybe you will see why they (government, EPA) have taken the position they have. You mentioned that "the flowers are harmless...unless you have allergies", its not just the afect they have on humans that has caused some concern, it is our Australian Native shrubs and trees that are the biggest losers to Privet and the like. Take a few minutes to read the extract below, it wont change your opinion on using Privet for bonsai (i hope!) but it will at least give you more of an understanding of how we must all do our bit for the environment. An interesting thing to note is also that Privet are of the Oleaceae (olive) family!

Why is privet a problem?
• It is an aggressive invader of disturbed land, particularly disturbed native bush. Areas receiving more water or nutrients than before European settlement, particularly if some or all of the original vegetation has been removed, is especially vulnerable to invasion by privet. Once established, it can almost totally replace a diverse mixture of native shrub and tree species.
• During spring and early summer, large amounts of pollen are produced which cause allergic reactions in some people. The fruit of privet is reported to be poisonous to humans.
• Privet has no serious animal predators or diseases able to keep it in check and is, therefore, able to flower freely and set seed in enormous quantities. Seed is widely distributed by birds.
• The removal of large numbers of privet bushes from amongst other plants causes much damage and disturbance and promotes weed reinfestation. Even single well-established privet bushes are difficult to remove without damaging the surrounding vegetation.
• Many attempts to control or remove privet have failed because of its remarkable regenerative ability, regrowing vigorously from root and stem suckers.
• Dense stands of privet prevent more desirable plants surviving or establishing, partly by over-shading and partly by its extensive, very shallow root system which collects soil moisture and nutrients with remarkable efficiency. Even after dense privet has been removed, other plants grow poorly for a long time on the site.
Within the Sydney area, small-leaf privet is the more widespread species, probably due to its ability to grow in drier sites than broadleaf privet. Both privets invade the native plant communities found on moister and more fertile sites in gullies.
Seedlings of broadleaf privet can establish in denser shade than those of small-leaf privet, enabling the broadleaf species to invade dense stands of native trees, especially in the semi-rainforest coastal valleys.
Both species are also frequently found in areas which were dry and infertile but are now receiving water and nutrients from urban runoff. The native dry forest or woodland of these areas is being replaced by species better adapted to the more favourable growing conditions. Privet is important amongst the many weed species which invade such areas

Regards
Peter.
MelaQuin
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by MelaQuin »

I have read the report and agree with it but again, as the fruit, the reproductive part, follows after flowering... then enjoy the flowers and then nip them when they brown off. As long as the fruit isn't there for birds and bats to eat, as long as the plant is in a pot and not suckering around the neighbourhood... long live privet.
aaron_tas
HARDKNOCKSBONSAI
HARDKNOCKSBONSAI
Favorite Species: ulmus
Bonsai Age: 100
Bonsai Club: south tas, Illawarra, Launceston

Post by aaron_tas »

after "helping" my local council remove quite alot of these so called pests, for my own benefit of course, i was able to create some awesome potensai in a short period. they love their roots smashed,they love thier trunks smashed, if you ask me, they are perfect for bonsai :!:

if something is growing rampantly in an area you do not want it to grow, it is a weed. no trees in my pots are weeds, who cares what they are.
inspired by nature,
considered superior to nature.
MelaQuin
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by MelaQuin »

Well said, Aaron.... a weed is only a plant growing in the wrong place.

Return to “Evergreen”