Anyone Growing Peppercorn Tree

Forum for discussion of Evergreen bonsai – Buxus, Cotoneaster, Olive etc.
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher
Favorite Species: carpinus jbp
Bonsai Age: 12

Anyone Growing Peppercorn Tree

Post by Bretts »

Bloody vista crashed again and I lost the last long winded post :| Probably prefer this shorter version more anyway :lol:

I have a couple of Pepper corn trees growing out in the ground. I started with two killed two and have two left I am not sure how that happened :?
Anyway the two I killed was from moving them around in my growing area early spring a couple of years ago. One was a bloody ripper. I think it was the frost burn after transplanting that gave them a slow death so I was planning on moving this one in late spring last year but did not get around to it so the plan is now late spring this year.
I have had some issues with inverse taper when growing them in the ground. Stripping ALL branches from the lowest section and letting the leader grow strong sounds a little backward but it did improve it last year. I will try sacrifice branches on the base again but it is a time consuming operation keeping the growth at the lowest point and still away from just above where the inverse was a problem.
Anyway here is one of the originals of the two I started with. As stated I plan to move in late spring and then I will decide where to chop the strong leader. I will then have to be right on top of his guy keeping suckers in check so as to combat the inverse taper. That's if it survives the transplant ;)

Anyone else growing these?
Oh my mate Pol grows some of these so I will add any advice that he has. He laughed at me that I killed the other two he thinks they are very hard to kill :P
pep.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
It's too bad your in such a hurry cause the stories I could tell you, Bushels and baskets of stories, hole crates full of stories. But if you can spare a moment I will tell you one story.
bodhidharma
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: English Elm
Bonsai Age: 24
Bonsai Club: goldfields

Re: Anyone Growing Peppercorn Tree

Post by bodhidharma »

Well,I am gonna have to laugh too Bretts but only a little bit. (tee hee). Yeah hard to kill but they do sook a little with root pruning. Now.. this was advise from my friend Ron Povey who came to visit me from Adelaide. Do not take off all the secondary branches that grow upwards of the main branchs i asked why and he replied..I dont know, they just do better. They do and i dont know why either. Any way, they respond to tip pruning but the frustrating thing for me is that they respond like English Elms in a pot culture THEY SLOW GROWTH SIGNIFICANTLY. I am still learning about them to but i have seen one that was stunning at the Bendigo show and that gives me hope. :D

p.s this is a collected one that i have hope for
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by bodhidharma on May 30th, 2010, 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Advice is rarely welcome, and the one's who need it the most welcome it the least"
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher
Favorite Species: carpinus jbp
Bonsai Age: 12

Post by Bretts »

That's a ripper Bodi Wanna swap :lol:

It's OK to laugh a little it didn't hurt too much. I think the trees suffered more than me :| The roots where very coarse and I had no idea how well they took root disturbance I just wanted them in a different spot re-aranging the growing area :roll: . I was surprised to find they took the transplant well at first with the foliage hardly even wilting. Can't remember how long after this days or weeks but when the frost came in it burnt the still healthy leaves. They struggled after this and although I was hoping for them to pull through with some die back they eventually gave up.
One was a bloody ripper.

So I guess you would repot them in late spring or at least with frost protection and they would be fine?
I would love to see more pictures of these. Although not great leaves they have many qualities that you would think great assets in bonsai!
It's too bad your in such a hurry cause the stories I could tell you, Bushels and baskets of stories, hole crates full of stories. But if you can spare a moment I will tell you one story.
gargar
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Olive
Bonsai Age: 8
Bonsai Club: Geelong & Northwest

Post by gargar »

I have found thy repot better when its warm early summer through to late, thats down here its milder. i think they are prone to dormant cut roots dying if they sit wet. after repot some new shoots wilt -i keep cutting them till its settles just to allow some relief. i never cut back a branch hard-leave some leaves even though in the ground i've seen them reshoot from stump. i have lost branches for no apparent reason, but the advice from Ron Povey is something to think about. now i dont concentrate on branch structure so much as a nice weeping top of gnarly stump. My best one so far is a tanuki cos i wanted a thick twisty representation of peppercorn but couldnt wait.

I have a real soft spot for peppercorns i think they should be given citizenship, they love it here,they have amazing style, they are fire retardant, and a lot of farms and country towns in dry areas would be worse off without them
i think Donnie D is building up a bit of knowledge on them too but i dont think he's on here anywhere?
Great future tree Bhodi.
Krusty
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 1

Post by Krusty »

im growing one but its quite small and in a pot. I pruned it back hard near the end of summer and it came back strong, back budding everywhere. I will be looking at it again in spring to see what i can do with styling.
Shane
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Japanese Black Pine
Bonsai Age: 8
Bonsai Club: BonsaiNorthwest, BSV, Vic Natives

Post by Shane »

How are your peppercorns progressing, gents? Any further observations on growth and treatment? I'm just about to start on one. Cheers Shane
Bonsai was meant to keep me away from the computer.
Goff
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: All
Bonsai Age: 2
Bonsai Club: Sa bonsai

Post by Goff »

There is a women at our club which has crazy pepercorns and the younger ones she its trying fatten up she put cable ties on the lower part over the trunk. Over time the tree breaks the cable tie and she repeats the process. You get reverse taper but they look like real pepercorns in nature..which most have reverse taper but loads of bumps.
longd_au
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: None

Post by longd_au »

How are your peppercorns? Have you done any work to it since the last season?
Since reading this post last year, I got hold of a small peppercorn and planted it in the ground around July 2013.
It did nothing until the weather got warmer and it went from a 2cm base to over 10cm in one season. A new shoot appeared from the main trunk and in one season, extended to nearly 3meters high.

I cut it off last weekend leaving a large scar.

I am assuming there will be some large roots below and wondering if I should shorten them with a shovel and let it grow another few seasons to speed up the healing process.

Any thoughts?
-----------------------------------------------------------
Dennis
A journey full of experiments
Rory
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Baeckea Phebalium Casuarina & Banksia
Bonsai Age: 24

Post by Rory »

bodhidharma wrote:Well,I am gonna have to laugh too Bretts but only a little bit. (tee hee). Yeah hard to kill but they do sook a little with root pruning. Now.. this was advise from my friend Ron Povey who came to visit me from Adelaide. Do not take off all the secondary branches that grow upwards of the main branchs i asked why and he replied..I dont know, they just do better. They do and i dont know why either. Any way, they respond to tip pruning but the frustrating thing for me is that they respond like English Elms in a pot culture THEY SLOW GROWTH SIGNIFICANTLY. I am still learning about them to but i have seen one that was stunning at the Bendigo show and that gives me hope. :D

p.s this is a collected one that i have hope for
Wow Bodhi. I have never read this post before. I have a few sticks of these, but that is amzing. That is some great stock you have there. Any updated pics? :D
Rory
I style Bonsai naturally, just as they would appear in the wild.
Central Coast, NSW
Bonsai: Casuarina Leptospermum Banksia Phebalium Baeckea Melalueca Ficus

Growing Australian natives as Bonsai: viewtopic.php?p=289480#p289480

Buying and repotting Native nursery material: viewtopic.php?f=78&t=30724

Growing tips for Casuarina as Bonsai: viewtopic.php?p=244995#p244995

How to reduce moss from the trunk without damaging the bark: viewtopic.php?p=295227#p295227
Grant Bowie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Banksia
Bonsai Age: 52
Bonsai Club: Canberra

Post by Grant Bowie »

There is a good one at the NBPCA in Canberra from South Australia and is thought to be around 55 yrs plus.

Grant

Return to “Evergreen”