Tibouchina stump

Forum for discussion of Evergreen bonsai – Buxus, Cotoneaster, Olive etc.
MattA
Banned
Banned
Favorite Species: Lichen
Bonsai Age: 26
Bonsai Club: Killing Trees Inc..

Tibouchina stump

Post by MattA »

The mention of search bots reminded me to post this baby up. I went looking for information on growing tibouchina as bonsai during the week, where did I end up? Back here on Ausbonsai!!!!

I happened to be passing a home as a bobcat was loading a heap of stumps into a trailer. As usual, I stopped and enquired what was to become of them, they hesitated and finally admitted they were going to dump the lot in the bush :evil: :evil: :evil: I asked if they could instead drop them at my place... They willingly agreed, tho maybe my very obvious disapproval of their original plans played a part. Anyways, the stumps were mainly huge teatree & melaleuca that did not survive.

This tibouchina did, how I dont know as it had almost nothing in the way of roots on it and was literally just a bare stump. It reshot from everywhere then over the course of summer most of it died back (the north side). I was looking at it during the week and found that white ants have moved into the dead areas, which I wont try & stop as they can do the carving for me. It is approx 25 cm across at the base. Will be a few more years before I consider digging it back up to go into a pot and hopefully by then most of the deadwood will have been consumed.

Matt
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
42 Mice ~Imperfection
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards." ~ Vernon Sanders Law
"All the knowledge I possess everyone else can acquire, but my heart is all my own." ~ Johann Wolfgang Von Goeth
"Bonsai becomes great when growers start trees they know they will never see in a pot"
MattA
Banned
Banned

Re: Tibouchina stump

Post by MattA »

I took the axe to the deadwood a couple weeks ago to see what was happening inside, the ants have not been keeping up the work effort & it is still solid as a rock. 3yrs on tho & the live veins have definitely set & the new branching has started to thicken nicely.
100_3858rz.jpg
100_3859rz.jpg
100_3860rz.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
42 Mice ~Imperfection
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards." ~ Vernon Sanders Law
"All the knowledge I possess everyone else can acquire, but my heart is all my own." ~ Johann Wolfgang Von Goeth
"Bonsai becomes great when growers start trees they know they will never see in a pot"
Treecollecter
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Azalea
Bonsai Age: 5

Post by Treecollecter »

I have a stump just like that species I'm trying to c if the leaves will reduce bcuz I reckon the flowers on it would be quite nice web it's is a bonsai
Gareth
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 10

Post by Gareth »

Ok Matt, im gonna put it out there,

Step 1.

Did that big bugger up and pot

Step 2.

Someone buy a carving bit

Step 3.

I bring the GDO600 die grinder around and we carve that lady a new face

MattA
Banned
Banned

Post by MattA »

Treecollecter, from what little info is out there the leaves will reduce somewhat. This stump is big enough that leaf size wont be the biggest issue but lifting it :)

Gareth, You see a lady? ...
I was considering digging to check the roots & move it up the back. Your more than welcome to take it off my hands.

Matt
42 Mice ~Imperfection
Gareth
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Gareth »

of course i see lady!!!!!!!!!!!

you have tried to give me that tree once before and the answer is still NO!!!!! lol, but ill happily butcher it with a die grinder
Andrew F
Crafty Tanuki
Crafty Tanuki
Favorite Species: Pest species.
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: N/A

Post by Andrew F »

Gareth wrote: Step 2.

Someone buy a carving bit

Step 3.

I bring the GDO600 die grinder around and we carve that lady a new face

Not too much or you'll end up with an informal joan rivers: Image
Gareth
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Gareth »

sweet jesus, next project
MattA
Banned
Banned

Post by MattA »

With extra prompting & wanting to clear all the prebonsai from my front garden, I dug this baby today. It was a tight squeeze but it has been planted in a concrete pot with internal diameter of 50cm, I opted for the concrete pot over plastic for the added weight to counterbalance the stump...
100_4460rz.jpg
100_4461rz.jpg
100_4465rz.jpg
Matt
42 Mice ~Imperfection
Ben Thomas
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maples
Bonsai Age: 1

Post by Ben Thomas »

Any chance of an update?

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
Elmer
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Living
Bonsai Age: 1
Bonsai Club: None yet

Post by Elmer »

Ben Thomas wrote:Any chance of an update?

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
Not likely as the OP has been banned. However, I can confirm the tree is still alive and progressing nicely and that's the limit of what I can say...

Return to “Evergreen”