A TRUE STORY- FOR COLLECTORS OF PRIVET

Forum for discussion of Evergreen bonsai – Buxus, Cotoneaster, Olive etc.
Dave54
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 10
Bonsai Club: Nil

A TRUE STORY- FOR COLLECTORS OF PRIVET

Post by Dave54 »

This is a story that appears in my book "BONSAI RAMBLINGS" and I thought I would share it with the forum

THE COST OF PRIVET & THE VALUE OF LIFE!

To what lengths does the bonsai enthusiast go, to obtain that elusive masterpiece?
One of our club members who shall remain nameless, relayed to me some events that happened during his most recent ‘Privet Dig’ and I thought that the story should be shared.
His secret location for obtaining cow-eaten, mature privet is an extremely steep mountainous region, so armed with mattock, axe and chronic sore back he climbs the slopes, digging out suitable material along the way.
Realizing that the trees are drying out considerably, he decides to descend the slopes dragging one or two trees at a time until he reaches the creek at the bottom into which he places the trees. This process means quite a few trips up and down the steep slope.
When placing the last tree in the water he slips on the muddy bank and finds himself up to his ears in muddy water.
Dripping wet and still cursing, he decides to continue, as he still requires a couple more trees before filling his trailer and heading home.
He picks up his axe and mattock, takes a few steps and is confronted by a metre long black snake. Suffering a panic attack (I cleaned that up) and not knowing whether to attack the snake with the axe, the snake finally decides that it is the more scared and heads off into the scrub.
Being a true believer to the end and being totally undeterred he decides that there are a couple of nice privet prospects in the next paddock, so heads up the slope again.
Still wringing wet and with the adrenalin still pumping through his veins he climbs through the dividing fence and you guessed it – ELECTRIC !!
As this was the last straw, our intrepid adventurer makes his way to the homestead to thank and farewell the property owners. At the gateway to the house paddock a rather large dog happily accepts pats from our still wet adventurer.
That is until he reaches the verandah at which time the dog decides to latch on to his hand.
Dave K....TRUE STORY
Jon Chown
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Almost all
Bonsai Age: 100
Bonsai Club: None

Re: A TRUE STORY- FOR COLLECTORS OF PRIVET

Post by Jon Chown »

Goodness me - A look at nature, a bath, some exercise, a heart check and a manicure, what more can one ask for while collecting bonsai stock.

Jon
Bretts
Bonsai Philosopher
Bonsai Philosopher
Favorite Species: carpinus jbp
Bonsai Age: 12

Post by Bretts »

Brilliant :)
It's too bad your in such a hurry cause the stories I could tell you, Bushels and baskets of stories, hole crates full of stories. But if you can spare a moment I will tell you one story.
aaron_tas
HARDKNOCKSBONSAI
HARDKNOCKSBONSAI
Favorite Species: ulmus
Bonsai Age: 100
Bonsai Club: south tas, Illawarra, Launceston

Post by aaron_tas »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

rippa story dave :!:
inspired by nature,
considered superior to nature.
ozzy
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 15

Post by ozzy »

I can relate to the black snake part, I was rummaging around the scrub once looking at some pines and one shot out from nowhere right next to me, luckily he was heading as fast and as far as he could away from me, the strange thing was it was the middle of winter and you'd think it would be safe as far as snakes go, I did some research afterwards though and apparently its not that uncommon for snakes to come out on a nice sunny day in Winter.
anttal63
Bend me twist me
Bend me twist me
Bonsai Age: 14
Bonsai Club: MYCLUB

Post by anttal63 »

especially blacks, and they do generally run for the hills. had that been a brown or tiger could have been a different story ozzy. :o
Regards Antonio:
Asus101
Just a product
Just a product
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: SA Bonsai Soc.

Post by Asus101 »

anttal63 wrote:especially blacks, and they do generally run for the hills. had that been a brown or tiger could have been a different story ozzy. :o
Yeah becarefull, them browns and tigers are known man eaters, had one of them jumped out at you, lets just say you wouldn't be here telling us that there story...
Young and hostile but not stupid.
MelaQuin
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: olives & natives
Bonsai Age: 20
Bonsai Club: Illawarra Bonsai Society, Bonsai Society of A

Post by MelaQuin »

Guess that's why I only have one collected privet and that from a fairly wooded level paddock, empty of livestock, hooved and slithering. Happily it's a nice one. Just hope the day was hot when you took the plunge.
Asus101
Just a product
Just a product

Post by Asus101 »

A snake is at ground level. To them you look like King Kong. Now if you where their size, looking up at king kong, would you run? or bite him on the big toe for kicks?

If you see a snake, DONT try to kill it (your breaking the law for one) because that is when you will get bit. Stand still, breath and let the snake move along. If it rears up step back slowly and calmly, they cant out run humans if it comes to it..

They will leave you alone, IF you leave them alone.
Dave54
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Dave54 »

Hi guys,
can't believe that the focus of the humorous story is the bloody snake. Sadly, even though the snake was genuinly there, it was only my journalistic license that stated my mate thought of killing it. The little darling lived happily ever after and is now a 2 metre long mongrel waiting for the next adventurer, but this time he's lurking in the creek !!!!!!.........crikey!!!!!!
cheers
Dave
anttal63
Bend me twist me
Bend me twist me
Bonsai Age: 14
Bonsai Club: MYCLUB

Post by anttal63 »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Regards Antonio:
Asus101
Just a product
Just a product

Post by Asus101 »

Asus101 wrote:A snake is at ground level. To them you look like King Kong. Now if you where their size, looking up at king kong, would you run? or bite him on the big toe for kicks?

If you see a snake, DONT try to kill it (your breaking the law for one) because that is when you will get bit. Stand still, breath and let the snake move along. If it rears up step back slowly and calmly, they cant out run humans if it comes to it..

They will leave you alone, IF you leave them alone.
I wasnt picking on you sorry, I work at a wildlife park with snakes, so its kinda second nature to give the snake wont hurt you lecture...
Dave54
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Dave54 »

Hi ,
no offence was taken and I realize you weren't knocking the story. I just thought everyone missed the point of the plight of our adventurer by focusing on the snake
cheers
Dave

Return to “Evergreen”