Too late to move junipers?

Forum for discussion of Pines, Junipers, Cedar etc as bonsai.
Luke308
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: maple & pines
Bonsai Age: 13
Bonsai Club: S.A Bonsai Society

Too late to move junipers?

Post by Luke308 »

I have just found out a garden/pond place is closing down in the next few weeks. They have 2 massive junipers surrounding a pond landscape which I think are squamatas. I was told I could have them, but I was wondering how likely chances of survival would be if I were to dig them up at this time of year. They were told that August is the best time. And that if I have them facing a different direction to what they are growing now, they won't survive eg they are facing east atm, and I would probably have them facing west at my house.
They are massive, covering an area of approx 3x2m each so much so I can't even see the trunks without chopping branches off!!! I was also told that they used tyres in the ground to save soil, so the roots may be entangled in the tyres which could be a problem. They have a "kanga" (small bobcat I think) to dig them out, but I was wondering if there is anything special I need to do, or if I should bother at all?

Free juni's are the best, but I want them to survive the move.

Thanks for the help guys :tu:
WHERE THE SAP FLOWS, THE WOOD GROWS
Craig
Banned
Banned
Favorite Species: Melaleuca
Bonsai Age: 10

Re: Too late to move junipers?

Post by Craig »

Dig them up Luke :yes: , keep a nice little rootball, reduce the foliage , keep moist and in a shady location and they should be right , don't worry about which way they were facing , :fc:
Luke308 wrote:or if I should bother at all?

Definately Bother :beer:
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

Tyres in the ground could be a good thing. the roots are likely to have fine feeder roots inside some of the tyres where water collects.
Remember that you need to have some leaves to keep it alive so cut back a lot but keep some foliage on at least one branch. Some protection from the afternoon sun for a while after transplanting and don't let them dry out until re established. Sometimes it takes 6 months or more before they decide to live or die.
Good luck. :fc:
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Luke308
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Luke308 »

Thanks for the replies, and the encouragement. I have no idea what the trunk lines/branch structure are going to be like, but on thing I do know, is they are old and big. So chances are I have stumbled across some decent stock. :fc:

How much of the root-ball can I reduce/cut-back if I am reducing the foliage/branches back to probably 20% of what they are now?? I'm hoping it is okay to root prune to move it at this time of year.
Guy
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: juniper
Bonsai Age: 15

Post by Guy »

I would also water heavily a couple of days before removal--so area is easily dug.
Dumper
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by Dumper »

cut it back but do not pinch off or cut the foliage of. this will cause it to have brown tip to begin with and slowly die back to nothing.

if u keep the root wet while digging. should be safe
Luke308
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Luke308 »

Dumper wrote:cut it back but do not pinch off or cut the foliage of. this will cause it to have brown tip to begin with and slowly die back to nothing.

if u keep the root wet while digging. should be safe

SO you mean cut the branches back, but leave the foliage? Judging by the size of it I am going to have to remove a lot of the rootball to fit it in the car too, should that cause a problem?

Return to “Pines and Junipers”