Changing our workshop Juniper..A lot.

Forum for discussion of Pines, Junipers, Cedar etc as bonsai.
Jan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: natives, wisterias
Bonsai Age: 12
Bonsai Club: AusBonsai, Goulburn Bonsai

Re: Changing our workshop Juniper..A lot.

Post by Jan »

Inspiring! This is becoming a spectacular tree.

Thanks for sharing...now to re think my junipers, and not only them, perhaps...

Jan.
Boics
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Banksia, Syzygium, Cotoneaster. Leptospermum
Bonsai Age: 7

Post by Boics »

Yep.

Epic tree Bodhi.

Nice to meet you at the BSV show too.
One of the fabulous things about growing bonsai is as you get old and decrepit your trees get old and beautiful
bodhidharma
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: English Elm
Bonsai Age: 24
Bonsai Club: goldfields

Post by bodhidharma »

Jan wrote:Thanks for sharing...now to re think my junipers, and not only them, perhaps...
Boics wrote:Nice to meet you at the BSV show too.
Thanks for the encouragement fellow Bonsai'ists. This tree has taught me a lot about what is possible and taking on board other peoples idea's.
"Advice is rarely welcome, and the one's who need it the most welcome it the least"
bodhidharma
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by bodhidharma »

The tree has been fully wired out now and the foliage has been end tipped. The driftwood has been fitted into place and wired in, pot cleaned and a little bit of moss for accent. The only thing really left now is foliage refinement and that is another five or so years. The tree's apex will need time but isnt that always? The question will be how tidy i can get the foliage and we will wait and see. Maybe it will have to lose a couple of branches yet but i will look at it for a while and get a few inputs from people more learned than myself. It is also proving difficult to find the trees VIEWING angle and some more branch manipulation might have to take place but, again, that might be input from another source.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Advice is rarely welcome, and the one's who need it the most welcome it the least"
Raymond
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Olive
Bonsai Age: 4

Post by Raymond »

:worship: :worship:
Gerard
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: pines
Bonsai Age: 16
Bonsai Club: BSV, Northwest, Northern Suburbs, VNBC

Post by Gerard »

I had my doubts about the piece of driftwood but now you have managed to make it fit, it almost belongs there! Sorry but I do not like the viewing angle, it makes me feel like I am being invited to look at the trees bum.
Q: Why are we all here?
A: Because we are not all there.
bodhidharma
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by bodhidharma »

Raymond wrote: by Raymond » Today, 10:23 am
:tu2:
Gerard wrote: Sorry but I do not like the viewing angle, it makes me feel like I am being invited to look at the trees bum.
Yes and yes...and.............Suggestions :roll:
bodhidharma
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by bodhidharma »

I have now twisted the tree around to the left quite a bit with a lot of props on the back and support wire and moved the branches to the left to improve the viewing angle. Some fine wiring has also been completed and i feel i can now start on foliage refinement. I will let the tree sit for a year or so and regain health. I will make decisions on reduction of height etc later on as i feel the overall effect of trunk versus foliage is not balanced. It is also not true to the original design yet, We will see. All feedback is welcomed.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bodhidharma
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by bodhidharma »

The Juniper has bounced back with a full head of hair and i will prune and wire out the secondary and tertiary branching.The main branching has set into place beautifully and i can now begin the process of refining them. I am quite excited about this project as it is coming together much quicker than i thought. I will post the finished wiring later as i feel it will take a few days. :whistle:
peterb
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: olive
Bonsai Age: 5

Post by peterb »

Hi Bodhi, you have done a remarkable job on this tree. you've turned it from a very mediocre tree into something quite dramatic :worship:
Gerard
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: pines
Bonsai Age: 16
Bonsai Club: BSV, Northwest, Northern Suburbs, VNBC

Post by Gerard »

I like the way it has come along, would like to see the bulk of the foliage a little closer to the pot and some room for the birds between foliage pads.
Q: Why are we all here?
A: Because we are not all there.
EdwardH
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Those that survive
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by EdwardH »

I have just seen this post for the first time and am very impressed with both the vision and courage to make such a radical change from the original tree. :clap:
I'm generally not a fan of fake "add ons" like the base however you have made it look like it is part of the tree. I am curious how the colour of the driftwood will compare with the deadwood on the tree in a few years :lost:
The view doesn't sit right for me, it could just be a case of "photo-itis" where it looks much better in the bark. Might look better if the tree was placed growing over the corner of the pot rather than the side?

I am looking forward to see how you tame the unruly "head of hair" on this tree to bring it closer to the original design. Maybe jin a few branches on the left and leave the growth closer to the trunk? Whatever you decide this post has inspired me to be more adventurous in the future.
Nate.bonsai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: JBP
Bonsai Age: 10

Post by Nate.bonsai »

Bodhi, what a great piece of work this is. Once you have done the fine wiring and set the foliage in nice and close to the main trunk line, this will look amazing.

I agree that I am not overly fond of sleight of hand in bonsai but in this case it was absolutely necessary to raise this above a very problematic root base, so I say go for it.

All together looks very established and developed. Keep it coming.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bodhidharma
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by bodhidharma »

I have made a few serious decisions on this tree and removed a large lower branch and also a large middle branch. This has opened the tree up and i can now see into it. I spent quite some time on making the deadwood more believable and a much snugger fit and now looks like it belongs. The main secondary branching is wired and i will begin the finer wiring later next week. It is still quite unruly but I need a rest from working on it as it seems like i have been chained to it for a couple of weeks.
bodhidharma
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by bodhidharma »

All wiring is now done and the tree is trimmed :tu: I have opened it up a lot and it now begs the question..can i tame the foliage :?: I will start a pruning process and a pinching regime (although now frowned upon in some circles) to see if i can get tight, neat pads of foliage, otherwise it will all be for nought. I am guessing it is a "Sabina" and any tips on foliage development would be appreciated.

Return to “Pines and Junipers”