Japanese Black Pine

Forum for discussion of Pines, Junipers, Cedar etc as bonsai.
wattynine
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: bonsai
Bonsai Age: 10
Bonsai Club: Backyard Bonsai

Japanese Black Pine

Post by wattynine »

When I was a member of the Mackay Bonsai Society, one of the members had something very unique happen to her.
She bought a JBP from Bunnings, which developed a cone, and to her and our very amazement it seeded into the pot the tree was growing in.
Several tree were developed from this, of the two that were given to me this is the sole survivor and about three years old.
It was a small pot for the first two years and the potted up into this for a long term project, just some initial twists and bends as I have heard that high summer is not a time to do too much harsh bending (?). Again it has progressed very well in the new pot environment.
Didn't actually get a virgin shot of the tree before I wired it and then put it's first little bend, then remembering, grabbed the camera
CIMG4001.JPG
CIMG4002.JPG
CIMG4003.JPG
CIMG4004.JPG
CIMG4005.JPG
CIMG4006.JPG
back to the junk pile, see ya in ten years
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Boics
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Banksia, Syzygium, Cotoneaster. Leptospermum
Bonsai Age: 7

Re: Japanese Black Pine

Post by Boics »

Vote #1 for more bends!
One of the fabulous things about growing bonsai is as you get old and decrepit your trees get old and beautiful
longd_au
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: None

Post by longd_au »

I agree with Boic, little bends like that will just disappear when the trunk thickens.
-----------------------------------------------------------
Dennis
A journey full of experiments
johnlongua
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 26
Bonsai Club: sdsdfdsfds

Post by johnlongua »

Your picture is very pretty I really like it.
wattynine
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: bonsai
Bonsai Age: 10
Bonsai Club: Backyard Bonsai

Post by wattynine »

RIP JBP.
I had this in a large tub for the long term purpose of growing this tree, again a decline in the needle strength and colour caused me to have to look at the roots.
The medium was quite wet and unusually it was just potting mix, I have no excuse for this or reason apart from that when I did it I had no diatomite or scoria and unusually these were both absent from the mix and yet the photo shows both of these present at the top of the mix. The mix based on my watering system was quite wet, perhaps this was a long term problem as I am absent for periods of time and it could have been a problem that had developed and I had missed it. Perhaps the potting mix had collapsed and lost its capacity to hold the correct mix of air and water. This was sitting at ground level.
All of the are assumptions, makes no difference, the tree is dead. Shame.
Watty
Last edited by wattynine on September 9th, 2016, 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Pines and Junipers”