Propagating Times

Forum for discussion of Pines, Junipers, Cedar etc as bonsai.
Tim.C
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Re: Propagating Times

Post by Tim.C »

I generally take the lid off of a morning to have a little look see, and make sure they are doing ok still, and then again of an afternoon/night as well for another check. As long as you've got a little mist on inside and not water drops and they don't start losing colour or start to wilt, generally air flow is fine and they will go great guns. I've found air flow is more about letting fresh air in every now and then so the air doesn't get to heavy or stale, over having constant moving air around them. If humidity is good and still starting to wilt, move them to a slightly cooler spot over taking the lid off. Every time you take the lid off you lose moisture which lowers humidity. The more moisture you lose, the less humidity you will have, which means you have to replace the lost moisture which can lead to too much humidity again, which then you have to leave lid off for a bit to get humidity back down. It starts to become like a dog chasing its tail when you have to do that. You just keep repeating a circle of correcting humidity. I hardly water my cuttings at all after initial watering, if that gives you any idea how often my lid stays off. You've just got to listen to the body language of your cuttings so to speak, and they will let you know what they need. I hope that makes sense. My head started going round in circles typing that last bit.
And veranda should be a good spot. The more well lit the better I've generally found. Just no direct sunlight.

Tim
Tim.C
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by Tim.C »

And I meant to mention, my cuttings in coke bottles do lots better in the back half of my house that gets the morning sun, over the front half of my house that gets the afternoon sun. Even though they get no direct sun at all, I think it's because the back half of my house stays more a constant temp all day, where the front half of my house gets pretty warm of an afternoon. Especially in summer. I even stay out of the front half of the house of a summer afternoon. Just thought I'd throw that in incase it helps.

Tim
xIIRevoEvoS
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Junipers, Maples and Pines
Bonsai Age: 1
Bonsai Club: AusBonsai Forum is my source

Post by xIIRevoEvoS »

Thanks Tim :yes:
Kind Regards
Allen