aleppo pine, a project for this weekend??

Forum for discussion of Pines, Junipers, Cedar etc as bonsai.
Neli
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Tropical
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: Bonsai alaminutte

Re: aleppo pine, a project for this weekend??

Post by Neli »

I ask lots of questions that sound like suggestions. Please remember I am a inquisitive newbie trying to figure out why You made a particular decision, in order to learn.
I started a blog:http://nelibonsai.wordpress.com/2013/07 ... a-nursery/
Raymond
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Olive
Bonsai Age: 4

Post by Raymond »

So I didn't quite get the time I was hoping for over the weekend. rough trimming only, no wiring.
right side
back
Left side

I have a couple of questions,
1) are there any rules in regard to branching I should be knowing?
Near the top, there are a couple of bar branches, should I be looking to remove one?
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

Don't worry too much about 'rules' There are some guidelines that will help make your tree look good:
Try to keep branches that grow on the outside of curves (this is because of the way our eyes and brain look at things)
Try to have a 'theme' - Branches all have similar shape and alignment ie if some are below horizontal you should not have one pointing upward because it will look wrong to our aesthetic brain. All branches either straight or all with bends. Because you already have a gentle bend in the trunk try a similar gentle bend in the branches.
Avoid bar branching - not only do bar branches interrupt the flow of our eye but in time having 2 branches close together on the trunk will thicken the trunk at that point leading to reverse taper which also interrupts the flow and is much harder to correct. Get rid of bar branches early. (note that this also applies to secondary ramification. Try to prune and thin so that any junction only has a V fork - 2x2 ramification.) Pines typically have a whorl of branches at each node and do need to be thinned ruthlessly.

There are also some guidelines that will help keep your tree healthy:
Space the branches out. You need to leave space for light to get to all branches so take some out to leave some space for light. (looks better in the end as well)
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
treeman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: any
Bonsai Age: 25

Post by treeman »

Raymond wrote:
Near the top, there are a couple of bar branches, should I be looking to remove one?
You will probably need to find a new apex with a side branch and remove some height. Don't be in a hurry to remove all the bar (opposite) branches near the top. ( remove if there are more than 2 or 3 ) Build your tree gradually. Concentrate on finding the best front and the first few branches.
Mike

Return to “Pines and Junipers”