JWP progress..and a resounding CRACK

Forum for discussion of Pines, Junipers, Cedar etc as bonsai.
Keep Calm and Ramify
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Re: JWP progress..and a resounding CRACK

Post by Keep Calm and Ramify »

That tree really is lovely to see. The styling & work you've documented here has really paid off. The new pot has some great texture which reminds me of the moon - is it an old one?
bodhidharma
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: English Elm
Bonsai Age: 24
Bonsai Club: goldfields

Post by bodhidharma »

melbrackstone wrote:Man, that is really something! Flipping back to the first page is eye-opening, you really have produced a beauty!
:tu2: Thank you MBS.
Keep Calm and Ramify wrote: The new pot has some great texture which reminds me of the moon - is it an old one?
Sorry for the late reply KCR. Not an old pot but a one off i lucked upon in a Nursery in Tylden of all places. It was made in Vietnam.
"Advice is rarely welcome, and the one's who need it the most welcome it the least"
anthonyW
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Figs,Pines.

Post by anthonyW »

Looking at your latest image my friend my eye still automatically goes straight to the lower bottom branch, I don,t believe that is a/the focal point..,stand corrected, sorry but it still got me going Bodhi lol :)

So I fiddled again,removed it and stood the tree up slightly ,hope you don t mind me having a bit of fun Bodhi ..cheers ..Just saying ;)

Do like the pot :D
phps5JsJ9AM (1).jpg
phpgBHwVhAM.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bodhidharma
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by bodhidharma »

anthonyW wrote:So I fiddled again,removed it and stood the tree up slightly ,hope you don t mind me having a bit of fun Bodhi ..cheers ..Just saying
It is so tempting to remove it Anthony and i like the virt. Having said that i learnt that it is easier to cut later than to grow later so it stays..........for now :roll: I will wait until the top has grown down over it and creates more flow and then see. :tu:
"Advice is rarely welcome, and the one's who need it the most welcome it the least"
Keep Calm and Ramify
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Wouldn't this lovely tree become a little mundane without that first branch?
It's position may be not ideal in bonsai "terms" (the tree thinks otherwise) - but creating viewer interest & individuality must surely be key :?:
bodhidharma
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by bodhidharma »

Keep Calm and Ramify wrote:Wouldn't this lovely tree become a little mundane without that first branch?
Agreed and i have been pondering a raffia wrap and a little manipulation on said branch to see if i could make it a little more interesting.
Keep Calm and Ramify
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

bodhidharma wrote:
Keep Calm and Ramify wrote:Wouldn't this lovely tree become a little mundane without that first branch?
Agreed and i have been pondering a raffia wrap and a little manipulation on said branch to see if i could make it a little more interesting.
Absolutely, and I'm pretty confident you have the skills to do so! Chopping it off should be the very last option.
Thanks for posting the updates & pictures, as I am learning a lot from you.
anthonyW
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Figs,Pines.

Post by anthonyW »

bodhidharma wrote:
anthonyW wrote:So I fiddled again,removed it and stood the tree up slightly ,hope you don t mind me having a bit of fun Bodhi ..cheers ..Just saying
It is so tempting to remove it Anthony and i like the virt. Having said that i learnt that it is easier to cut later than to grow later so it stays..........for now :roll: I will wait until the top has grown down over it and creates more flow and then see. :tu:
And fair enough too, your trunk line has a nice shape and flow to it and the foliage sits very nicely on top..weeping down, just something special about JWP's, unfortunately I rarely see hardly any in collections and exhibits these days...

cheers Anthony

Return to “Pines and Junipers”