HELP ! YELLOW LEAVES

Forum for discussion of Pines, Junipers, Cedar etc as bonsai.
maurtmart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: NANA
Bonsai Age: 10
Bonsai Club: NON

HELP ! YELLOW LEAVES

Post by maurtmart »

I got my first Bonsai 6 months ago . I dont know much about them but I follow the rules of what they told me I should do to take care of my bonsai.

Few week ago, I notice some of the leaves were becoming yellow and brownish color . Some also become more blue-purple kind off.

I was wondering if you guys, with all your knowledge and experiencie can guide me and give me advice about how to take care of my bonsai and also if something is actually wrong with it.

Here are some pics of the bonsai.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tgward
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 31

Re: HELP ! YELLOW LEAVES

Post by tgward »

do the growing tips look ok?--have you pinched out the tips of the browner ones recently?--is the soil free draining and moist and not staying too soggy wet?
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines & Mels
Bonsai Age: 7

Post by Ryceman3 »

In addition to the above questions, can you let us know how you look after it and where it usually lives. I'm hoping you say outside in full sun and not on the couch!! :P
maurtmart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: NANA
Bonsai Age: 10
Bonsai Club: NON

Post by maurtmart »

Its kept inside a house. With a lot of sun light.
I am from Colombia . I have no seasons .

I try to poor water when its upper layer becomes dry .

The new branches look ok. Green and are growing in several new places of the Bonsai.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

Inside the house is not a good place for juniper. They do best outside in the fresh air and sun, even in tropical climate like Colombia.

I think there are several different things happening to your tree:
1. Old leaves dying. This is normal. Leaves only live for a few years then they die because they are old but meanwhile new leaves have grown to take over. Older leaves are further down the stems and newer ones are near the tips.

2. Yellowing newer tips on branches. This is more serious and there are many possible causes. It may be that the plant is just not getting enough sun and fresh air. Other possibilities are that it has dried out one day. Junipers do not show any sign straight away and weeks later when they start to go yellow you have sometimes forgotten that it was dry once. Overwater can also look the same. If the roots are always wet they can rot and the plant cannot take in water through the roots. Bugs can also cause this - tiny little mites or scale suck the sap out of the leaves and cause it to turn yellow. Check the leaves to see if you can find signs of spiderweb or tiny brown dots on the leaves. If the yellow is just on one branch it is possible that the branch has been damaged - can happen after you have wired a branch and bent it into a new shape but I don't see any wire or evidence of bending on this tree.

Maybe you can save it.
Lift the whole thing out of the pot to check the roots. You should see brown roots with white tips :tu: If roots are soft and mushy you have been overwatering. Allow the pot to dry out more. Maybe a root fungicide will help but often when you see the problem it is too late.
Check for pests and use an appropriate pesticide to treat the plant if you find signs.
Some sun and fresh air would be good for this tree and most other bonsai.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “Pines and Junipers”