My Christmas tree

Forum for discussion of Pines, Junipers, Cedar etc as bonsai.
Ryszil
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: All
Bonsai Age: 0

My Christmas tree

Post by Ryszil »

Evening all,

Just wanted to post some photos of my new JBP. Being that its a Christmas present, I can't do anything with it yet except look and think and of course read. I haven't worked with a black pine before an amd thoroughly looking forward to it. Right now I'm thinking of just repotting and not much else. Any suggestions or advice is welcome while I read up.

Merry Christmas
181219 JBP1.jpg
181219 JBP2.jpg
181219 JBP3.jpg
181219 JBP4.jpg
181219 JBP5.jpg
181219 JBP6.jpg
181219 JBP7.jpg
181219 JBP8.jpg
181219 JBP9.jpg
181219 JBP10.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
DangerousDave
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 1

Re: My Christmas tree

Post by DangerousDave »

Nice one!
Maybe some tinsel or a star?
Merry Christmas. Pretty cool present. Enjoy
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Re: My Christmas tree

Post by shibui »

Were you planning to repot right now? Summer is not usually the recommended time for pines. I haven't tried it so can't tell you if summer repot is OK or not, just that it is not usually done.

As a pine novice you do need to be aware of pine growth habit. They rarely bud from bare wood. Buds can grow from the base of needles but needles only last 2-3 years so regular pruning is needed to keep them compact. This one has had some pruning in the past year or 2 but some branches show 2 year's growth so the older needles will probably fall later this year.
I would consider pruning all longer branches now. Really needs to be done in the next week or 2 to get results. Feed the tree at the same time for best regrowth. Try to work out your style if possible but for the moment just cut back hard so that you'll have plenty of shoots to choose from.
Hard to be really specific with this advice long distance. Best would be to find someone to show you in person want it all means for pines.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “Pines and Junipers”