Shimpaku ...Oh, the places we can go.

Forum for discussion of Pines, Junipers, Cedar etc as bonsai.
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maples, Elms, Cedars and Pines
Bonsai Age: 7
Bonsai Club: Waverley Bonsai Group & Yarra Valley Bonsai Society

Re: Shimpaku ...Oh, the places we can go.

Post by MJL »

Hey Gavin - happy to take further thoughts! Thanks for your input. This is a group project implemented by a rank amateur.

When you say forward and backward - are you able to draw or explain a little more. I think you are meaning more like AnthonyW’s first diagram. If so, I intend to add some more bends in future - in truth, I got a little shy and stopped after the reasonably aggressive initial bend(s).

If this tree ever gets to a point that it’s worth displaying at my local club I am going to write - Artist : Group Project - ‘Many contributors ... inc club members and the good folk of AusBonsai!’ Excellent stuff.

Another train ride home - time to wind down and think about things that move slowly - like bonsai.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tending bonsai teaches me patience.
GavinG
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: CBS

Post by GavinG »

Can't draw for nuts. Towards you and away - three dimensional, not just side-to-side. You can always do it next year, but the branches just that bit harder.

Gavin
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by MJL »

GavinG wrote:Can't draw for nuts. ....Gavin
That makes two of us!

Yep - I get what your saying about design and will address accordingly in future. I might take some photos from different angles too - I think there’s a bit of that going on already but I will do more to improve the 3D aspect. Cheers for advice:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by MJL »

Well, despite the best of intent, my poor wiring and bending technique resulted in the death of the branch I tried to bend. I am not surprised, when I say poor technique - as it was my first major bend (I know, I know... it's not a major bend for some but it was for me!) :lol: and I totally stuffed around with it - essentially having multiple tries - bending, twisting, straightening, bending, twisting - in short, I tortured the poor branch so, it's no surprise it died.

Today I decided to do something with this tree; better to act than stay idle. As previously noted in the thread - I had a semi-cascade in my mind from the get-go but it's a man's prerogative to change his mind ... and I did. ;)

I decided a more upright style might work but it needed more movement - so I used a guy wire anchored to a strong root and bent the top as much as I dared (until I started to hear cracking) .... (By the way - the guy wire to the root is a new technique (for me) - so I am continuing to learn. Initially I tried a screw into the base of the trunk but the screw ripped out. I then used thin wire (looped under a thick root and it snapped - twice. This wire is probably too thick but it's all I had on hand after the thin wire wasn't up top the task)

Anyway - the photos tell where I got too. Apologies in advance for the lighting... as is the way with these things - you don't have much choice when you've got wet and dirty hands, trying to take photos with a phone!

I decided on a more upright'ish style but kept a windswept feel. Even though I like (actually love) literati ... the beauty in literati (in my eyes) is often the gnarly, twisted, weathered, old (at least perceived old) trunk... I feel this trunk is too fluid and hence lends itself to a more flowing design. That said, I could cut off the entire left side of the final design and commit to a more austere and probably very good literati tree.

I am still not sure... I like the result to be sure but I got a bit lost in creating the pads .. Perhaps the end result reflects my uncertainty ... and I haven't quite committed to one design.

Hmmm. I am glad I have this tree. It is a challenge and a W.I.P. As always your ideas are welcome.
IMG_6828.jpg
IMG_6830.jpg
IMG_6846.jpg
IMG_6831.jpg
IMG_6833.jpg
IMG_6835.jpg
IMG_6841.jpg
IMG_6839.jpg
IMG_6843.jpg
Back below
IMG_6844.jpg
Front below
IMG_6845.jpg
Enough for now.
IMG_6847.jpg
Thoughts welcome.

And, I could get back to my idea of a semi-cascade on the next potting too. Here's a crap virtual drawing. I think I now prefer that! Aargh. :lol:
Version 2 (1).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by MJL »

Apologies second post in a day re: this thread ... but just wanna drop updated photos for the record.

I am becoming less happy by the minute! Looks average. Foliage is too heavy and as I stated earlier - I am sitting go the fence on a design - it's neither here not there. Anyway ... best to let it go for now and deal with it at the next re-potting. Look just ok from a distance but Hadley the dog doesn't know what all the fuss is about! And I have to dead-head the garden Azaleas too - work never stops!! :)
IMG_6852.jpg
IMG_6850.jpg
IMG_6849.jpg
IMG_6848.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Raging Bull
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Gold Coast-Tweed

Post by Raging Bull »

Hi Mark, I quite like where you've gone with this tree now after the demise of that mummified branch. With some refinement it will be a nice tree. I've bent several juni's and found the key is patience. Gradually work the bends tighter over a couple of months. Cheers, Frank.
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by MJL »

Thanks Frank,
You’re always a beacon of positivity when I’m struggling with a tree. Noted about the slow bends too. Cheers for the tip. It really is interesting (and difficult) - I see four different futures for this tree! I’ll just let it settle, ponder and act in due course. I’m trying to be patient! :whistle:
LLK
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Acacia howittii
Bonsai Age: 25
Bonsai Club: CBS, WCBG

Post by LLK »

:crikey: It's not a tree to work on when you are suffering from the flu!
Serioously: you've got to watch the start of an inverse taper; looks awful on a literati. Shimpaku backbud so wonderfully, so my suggestion is to remove or cut back every scrap of foliage you don't absolutely need, and see what twigs you can do without. Like Picasso said: "Art is the removal of the unnecessary. "
Best wishes,

Lisa
GavinG
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: CBS

Post by GavinG »

You don't have to make all the decisions this year. You have moved it along, be content. For my money, it rises vertical, then flows horizontal - two strong but conflicting impulses. If you do tilt it, that resolves all the movement into the one sideways flow, and it can stretch out very nicely as it develops.

I would also consider funking up the outer trunk to match the bends you've just made - still strong curves, but smaller amplitude as they go further outwards, if you get my drift.

For me, interesting designs evolve over time, as the tree develops, as I change, and as time passes. A design you fix over one afternoon is not likely to be complex - something you add to year after year can be much more satisfying. We have the only four-dimensional art, in that the passage of time is frozen into the evolving structure of our trees. I quite like that.

Gavin
LLK
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Acacia howittii
Bonsai Age: 25
Bonsai Club: CBS, WCBG

Post by LLK »

For me, interesting designs evolve over ... like that.

The voice of experience and wisdom! Gavin's advice will suit you much better than my radical process, MJL.

Lisa
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by MJL »

Thanks Lisa and Gavin - I appreciate you taking the time to respond. I get your drift Gavin. I'll pause now and work on funking up (gotta take care with that term) the outer limits in due course... I think I will revert back a tilted design upon next re-potting.
dansai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Aussie Natives
Bonsai Age: 5
Bonsai Club: Coffs Harbour

Post by dansai »

Just something I saw in your tree based on your last pic. It does mean cutting the trunk back to where you have the wire pulling it down, bending the 2 branches on the underside of the trunk down dramatically and compressing the remaining one on the left in tightly.
IMG_0510.jpg
Travelling the Mid North Coast of NSW and beyond to attend Markets and other events

www.bonsaibus.com.au - www.facebook.com/TheBonsaiBus - www.instagram.com/thebonsaibus
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by MJL »

Thanks dansai - I appreciate you taking the time post this idea. Into the mix it goes - if I do keep it upright, I think some of the weight needs to come out of the left hand side - like you are suggesting. If I lay it over - I like the idea of it stretching out. Time to ponder ....

Return to “Pines and Junipers”