Larix progression over six weeks.

Forum for discussion of Pines, Junipers, Cedar etc as bonsai.
stymie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Cedrus Lonicera & Larix
Bonsai Age: 28
Bonsai Club: SYBS DDGC BGS FOBBS

Larix progression over six weeks.

Post by stymie »

I put this into a bonsai pot for the first time on 15th February before any sign of new growth had appeared. I feel that it would eventually look better with a shorter trunk.
re-potted Larix.jpg
Today on 5th April, the needles are well out and I will attempt an air layer to shorten the trunk using the wire loop constriction method rather than ringing the bark in the usual fashion. The plastic pot was split down one side and a hole cut in the bottom to go around the trunk. This is to create a support for a second pot which will hold the layer.
Larix needled and propped.jpg
A double loop of wire is tightened onto the trunk at the point where I wish roots to form. Meanwhile some Sphagnum moss is soaked in water to which I added a couple of drops of 'Superthrive'. I use aluminium wire because I have discovered that copper has a slight inhibiting factor on root growth. I noticed this after using copper to anchor mesh over the drainage holes in pots.
Larix constricted.jpg
A light brushing of Clonex root hormone is applied to the wired area. A second split pot is placed right way up on top of the first and the soaked Sphagnum packed into it to slightly above the wire loops. The coarse mesh is placed over this to discourage birds from picking the Sphagnum out.
Larix layer meshed.jpg
Now it goes back outside to grow those new roots. I used the wire instead of the usual ring barking method because it causes the base of the trunk to swell and the root flair is usually better. Okay, it will take longer but I am quite prepared to leave the layer on over next winter if necessary. The open pot will be watered along with everything else because it is not watertight like a plastic wrapped layer and will dry out normally.
Larix ready for outside.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
My name is Don. I'm a UK nutter and bonsaiholic but I'm on medication (when I can find the tablets)

ad sum ard labor.
Marc
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: peppercorn
Bonsai Age: 20

Re: Larix progression over six weeks.

Post by Marc »

Good luck Stymie, i hope it works fine. Very nice tree. I've never air layered before and am keen to read as much as possible to try one day.

I'll be keen to follow uo with great interest.
anttal63
Bend me twist me
Bend me twist me
Bonsai Age: 14
Bonsai Club: MYCLUB

Post by anttal63 »

thanks very much for this progression don. i too have a larch that may need a layer. have you had success on a larch with this method previously. how long did it take or do you invisage it to take? :D
Regards Antonio:
Steven
Site Admin
Site Admin
Favorite Species: [color=green]Casuarina[/color]
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: AusBonsai & The School of Bonsai

Post by Steven »

Excellent tutorial Don, thanks for sharing your work! I'm really keen to see how long it takes to root.
Regards,
Steven
Check out the AusBonsai Store ǀ Wiki ǀ Blogs ǀ Gallery ǀ 360˚ ǀ
Remember to be polite and abide by the Spirit and Intent of AusBonsai
stymie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by stymie »

anttal63 wrote:thanks very much for this progression don. i too have a larch that may need a layer. have you had success on a larch with this method previously. how long did it take or do you invisage it to take? :D
I have not air-layered a trunk before on a reasonably sized Larch like this one. I believe that the wire stricture is the favoured method for the variety. Everything grows a little slower here than in Oz so I am prepared to leave the layer on for as long as it takes even if it means over winter. (Its spring here) :roll: As the tree stands, it isn't unsightly and I'm sure that the appearance will be improved by shortening the trunk. When it is removed from the parent plant, I envisage a reduction in the upper half to give the new roots less to support. Meanwhile I leave as much foliage as possible on to use the suns power. ;)
anttal63
Bend me twist me
Bend me twist me
Bonsai Age: 14
Bonsai Club: MYCLUB

Post by anttal63 »

sounds like a plan don thanks for the reply. :D
Regards Antonio:
stymie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by stymie »

After nearly two weeks back outside, the needles are still growing. I hope that the bark is swelling around the wires. I don't usually feed my trees a great amount but will give this a modicum of sustenance and keep the medium moist. The wire will dig in progressively and hopefully this is where roots will form. I'll come back when there is anything to report. =Don
My name is Don. I'm a UK nutter and bonsaiholic but I'm on medication (when I can find the tablets)

ad sum ard labor.
kcpoole
Perpetual Learner
Perpetual Learner
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: the School Of Bonsai

Post by kcpoole »

Nice Tut Don, and I think the tree will be improved immensely by doing this
Good luck and keep us updated

Ken
Check out our Wiki for awesome bonsai information www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki
What is Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Bonsai
What should I do now? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Newbie
How do I grow a Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _a_Bonsai?
Visit a Bonsai nursery to see some real nice trees http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _Nurseries
Pup
Knowledgeable rogue
Knowledgeable rogue
Favorite Species: melaleucas
Bonsai Age: 31
Bonsai Club: Bonsai society of Western Australia

Post by Pup »

G, day Don is that the best beer you have on offer I might give it miss then. I thought I might get a Newcasle brown. Better still a Kilkenny. COLD though. ;) :P
It is too hot here in Western Australia for Larix to go dormant. Which is a great pity plus yew do not grow well here.
I like your tutorial it is helpful not just for Larch, it does work for other tree's and because we have longer growing seasons here.
It will be quicker I have tried it on an Oak it worked well .Pup :D
IN THE LIGHT OF KNOWLEDGE ATTAINED, ACHIEVEMENT IS WITHIN SIGHT

I am not a complete fool, some parts are missing

Return to “Pines and Junipers”