Shimpaku style - to cut or not to cut.

Forum for discussion of Pines, Junipers, Cedar etc as bonsai.
ADO
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ficus, Juniper
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: Bonsai Workshop Inc.

Shimpaku style - to cut or not to cut.

Post by ADO »

]
:gday:

I went to my first workshop the other day and was lucky enough to have Pup help me with my Shimpaku - thanks heaps Pup :worship: :tu:

I still have a long way to go and I will be refining and growing as I go and I intend to do some more wiring of the smaller branches soon.
the question is, as can be seen in the first photo, there is a branch that is on the inside of the curve on the far bottom left that may fit into the category of bar branch. I am undecided wether to remove it or keep. as they say, once its gone then its gone. The second picture is a crude work up of what the tree might look like without that branch. the last picture was taken without the flash just to show the movement of the trunk.
So I guess I am asking -

1. What should I do about this branch?
2. Can anyone see anything else glaring out at them from a design perspective that I should consider?
3. any actual proper virtual mock ups would be very much appreciated if anyone has the time to kindly help me out :tu:

Juni 2.jpg
Juni 3.jpg
Juni 7.jpg
[attachment=0]Juni 6.jpg[/attachment

thanks very much :cool:

p.s. I would encourage anyone here who hasn't joined a work shop or visited one, I can highly recommend it. Thanks Bonsai Workshop WA :worship:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
chrisatrocky
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: all
Bonsai Age: 4
Bonsai Club: CRBSInc., R'ton Bonsai Group, Cap Coast Bonsai Group

Re: Shimpaku style - to cut or not to cut.

Post by chrisatrocky »

Ado, this branch is very low and on the inside of the curve so I would say take it off. However, as you say, you sill have a long way to go on this tree as far as styling and refining, I would leave it as it is until you are happy with the rest of the tree. Let it grow, to help thicken th trunk and take it off at the last minute. probably make a nice gin out of it later.

chris
I am a giant amongst my trees.
kvan64
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: black pine
Bonsai Age: 16

Post by kvan64 »

Hi Ado, That branch is not exactly right at the inside bent. it is fine there. I would remove the one opposite to it (lower right branch) instead.
Cheers
DK
Always we hope someone else has the answer.
Bonsai is an art of shrinking.
Guy
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: juniper
Bonsai Age: 15

Post by Guy »

why not trunk chop or layer off above the third branch---tilt and use the right hand lower branch as the new leader
bodhidharma
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: English Elm
Bonsai Age: 24
Bonsai Club: goldfields

Post by bodhidharma »

What i have learnt about branch chopping..leave it until you have a clear plan of your tree. Once chopped it is gone. It is doing a few things at the moment. It is thickening your trunk, it is giving you design options. It could be possible deadwood to enhance the tree later on. it is giving you semi cascade options. Once you have studied the tree for a while and you have created a plan and the branch does not fit the plan then it can go, not until. This is why you should have plenty of trees to work on. :tu:
"Advice is rarely welcome, and the one's who need it the most welcome it the least"
cuwire
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Black Pine
Bonsai Age: 2

Post by cuwire »

Hi ADO

Guess you may not be chopping now but for the sake of playing around why don't you get out some more washing and cover up more branches .... I would try covering all the first four branches and imagine a solid jin left on the lower right branch ... tilt to the left.
ADO
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ficus, Juniper
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: Bonsai Workshop Inc.

Post by ADO »

Learnded Gentlemen :worship:

thanks so much for the advice. I am still very new to the art and am still trying to get my head around styles, basic stuff like wiring etc....so I will take the consensus advise and leave the branch be for now until, as Bhodi suggested, I have a clear plan for the tree. In the mean time I have a couple of other trees to work on to keep me distracted :D so much to learn! :palm:

cheers, much appreciated :tu:

Adrian

Return to “Pines and Junipers”