radiata pines?

Forum for discussion of Pines, Junipers, Cedar etc as bonsai.
DavidN
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Trident Maple
Bonsai Age: 20
Bonsai Club: Bonsai Northwest Inc

Re: radiata pines?

Post by DavidN »

anttal63 wrote: hey david how is you pal, yeah ok but i'll have to put you in the boot so you never find this spot again!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
seriously now you are always tellin me about this pine of yours. post it up gives a look we need some more trees posted up here. :P :D
Hey Tony, I'm serious about giving you a hand and obviously would love to hunt for a couple of radiata's myself. You'll probably have to wait until Spring now before going though.

I'll try and post up the most recent pics of my radiata which was from our May show. They aren't the best photos though.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
President Bonsai Northwest Inc
Bonsai Northwest Inc - Melbourne http://www.bonsainorthwest.com.au
anttal63
Bend me twist me
Bend me twist me
Bonsai Age: 14
Bonsai Club: MYCLUB

Post by anttal63 »

wow david, looks like one very powerful tree cant wait to see it in real life.
i will be digging pines in august so as to bare root them, spring is too late. :D
Regards Antonio:
jarryd
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Tasmanian Natives
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: Bonsai Society of Southern Tasmania

Post by jarryd »

so its best to dig radiatas in august you say ?
i have a nice one spotted along a fence line ive been eyeing off.
looks like someone has slashed it a while back and its regrown low branching on a thick trunk :)
Instagram https://www.instagram.com/montanebonsai/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Blog http://www.montanebonsai.wordpress.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
anttal63
Bend me twist me
Bend me twist me

Post by anttal63 »

jarryd to bare root the tree ive been told radiata's need to be in their most dormant state. here in vic in the highcountry that could be july/ august . i will keep my eye on things as the season progresses. you would be ok to dig in spring also i would think. i am goin to stick to what i have been told by an extremely experienced collector. you farther north need to work out the timing for you. good luck. :D
Last edited by anttal63 on April 22nd, 2009, 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regards Antonio:
aaron_tas
HARDKNOCKSBONSAI
HARDKNOCKSBONSAI
Favorite Species: ulmus
Bonsai Age: 100
Bonsai Club: south tas, Illawarra, Launceston

Post by aaron_tas »

i just tried a dig in the height of summer, it's JUST still green but i think it's gone...

i like to test the breaking point :D
inspired by nature,
considered superior to nature.
anttal63
Bend me twist me
Bend me twist me

Post by anttal63 »

aaron_tas wrote:i just tried a dig in the height of summer, it's JUST still green but i think it's gone...i like to test the breaking point :D
im hearing ya pal :D
Regards Antonio:
jarryd
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Tasmanian Natives
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: Bonsai Society of Southern Tasmania

Post by jarryd »

i think ill just wait till late spring thats when i have always had pretty much 100 percent collection rates for most tree species ive collected. i find also that aftercare is one of the most important factors when collecting
Instagram https://www.instagram.com/montanebonsai/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Blog http://www.montanebonsai.wordpress.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Woz
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 1

Post by Woz »

Hey Brad I think you are right they are probably slash pines. I wasn't sure as when I googled pine plantations the results mentioned radiatas alot and the images looked like what I was seeing, although on further research I belive you may have set me straight. I did dig up a couple any way while I was away (up near Maryborough QLD) though as their trunks looked too good to pass up.
Over the next few weeks I will be in northern NSW between grafton and Tamworth so I will be looking out (as always) for 'souviners' to bring home. I am a telecommunication technician during the work week so we are often out in the bush or on a big hill doing installs and upgrades for the major mobile carriers at their remote sites. So I go to plenty of places where poeple wouldn't mind or wouldn't know if you dug up a plant or two. Although my co workers do look at me a but funny when I go emu bobbing around the sites looking for potential trees :oops: :D
Brad Loma
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by Brad Loma »

Thats a shame Woz, as i said, i would love to get onto some close to Brissie. he easiest way to ID a Radiata is to take a close look at the needle cluster, Radiata is a three needle cluster, slash is a two needle. Sounds like you have a great job for finding suitable stock, lucky you!
B.
Grant Bowie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Banksia
Bonsai Age: 52
Bonsai Club: Canberra

Post by Grant Bowie »

I am doing a Radiata dig this weekend with a few other people. Some pines were cut down to about 30cms and have resprouted. Will take some photos and see how they survive over the coming year.

Grant

Return to “Pines and Junipers”