My Greatest challenge ever

Forum for discussion of Pines, Junipers, Cedar etc as bonsai.
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pinus Maples
Bonsai Age: 26
Bonsai Club: Ausbonsai

Re: My Greatest challenge ever

Post by alpineart »

Hi Mo' mate it has worked out a treat to say the least . The smaller trunk looks much larger than the main trunk and in itself is very impressive . Now I can downsize the monster into a more manageable container . I had downsized with a large amount of dead stock , pines and deciduous for reasons beyond my understanding .

Just arrived home with another batch of new stock to plat with , topped up the losses of late with something different .

Cheers . Alpine
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by alpineart »

Well this was supposed to go to the club last night for a bit of bending and shaping , due to mechanical issues I couldn't make it
P1120175.JPG
P1120177.JPG
P1120176.JPG
P1120178.JPG
. Phase 2 compress , compact and contort ,
P1120182.JPG
P1120181.JPG
P1120180.JPG
P1120183.JPG
this is coming along nicely , will update when I get the time to wire the growth and trim , possible at the Albury Show this weekend . Better take the car in to the mechanic or I'll be missing the weekend for sure .

Cheers . Alpineart
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Boics
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Banksia, Syzygium, Cotoneaster. Leptospermum
Bonsai Age: 7

Post by Boics »

Looking forward to seeing this continue to take shape.
Love what you have done with the compaction - will be awesome to see the finer wiring come together not to mention shari and jins.
Keep up the good work.
One of the fabulous things about growing bonsai is as you get old and decrepit your trees get old and beautiful
Pearcy001
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Natives and Exotics
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by Pearcy001 »

I too am keen for the fine wiring update Alpine. Keep us posted.

Cheers,
Pearcy.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by alpineart »

I finally managed some spare time , a weekend out with the Albury Wodonga Bonsai Society displaying and showing our works off at the Albury Show . This has been basically wired , pre styled and set for the rest of the season , it took around 8-10 hours during the course of the 2 day show and I'm more than happy with the resulting progress .
P1120199.JPG
P1120200.JPG
P1120201.JPG
P1120202.JPG
Quite a lot more compression and contortion has taken place and a couple of "Oh shari" moments did happen but only to the possible future jin's .

Cheers . Alpineart
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
boom64
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Almond
Bonsai Age: 2

Post by boom64 »

Hi Alpine ,now that's what I call Movement....Keep up the good work. John.
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by alpineart »

Hi Boom64 , certainly not straight and boring like the rest of the layers I have here . Still in 2 minds as to the final position of the base but time will tell as the foliage re-grows . This was done in poor lighting conditions and with many interruptions but both the styling and talking to the public were worth the effort .

Cheers . Alpine
Last edited by alpineart on October 31st, 2016, 6:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Raymond
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Olive
Bonsai Age: 4

Post by Raymond »

:worship: :worship: . I'd love to know how you get such dramatic bends without killing the it. the couple ive tried with raffia and support wires juts didnt make it :lost: :lost: . OUTSTANDING Alpine!
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by alpineart »

Hi Raymond , they live or die slowly but it ain't dead yet . I have killed a few with this sort of manipulation and not because I wanted too . The needle juniper I hacked the other week has died , lack of after care , most likely water as I was in Melbourne and a few tree parted gracefully , its hard to get good help watering tree's here ..

Cheers . Alpine
Raymond
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Raymond »

The last one i tried wasnt as dramatic as yours, but the branch died off quite quickly. Not sure what i did wrong but i'll keep trying...
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by alpineart »

This is one of the largest ground layered branches that was collected , it's been folded back onto itself reducing the length from over 3 meters to around 1,8 meters after re-potting it from a plastic crate to this 600mm bowl about 2 years ago
P1120561.JPG
. While sorting out the neglected material I decided to join an old stump to the live branch , not a true phoenix graft more of a wrap and strap configuration . The trunk was hit with a 2100 psi heavy duty dirt blaster ,
P1120557.JPG
P1120558.JPG
makes short work of the old bark
P1120559.JPG
P1120560.JPG
. To my surprise all the old dead trunks are riddled with borer tunnels , maybe I didn't kill them after all ??? .
P1120562.JPG
I screwed the live trunk to the dead stump with 60mm stainless steel screws , that should hold it firm
P1120563.JPG
. I then wrapped the 35mm branch to be bent in raffia , then grafting tape and 8mm ally wire
P1120564.JPG
. With the use of 2 ratchet straps I compressed and bent the trunk into position then wired it off
P1120565.JPG
. With the sun fading behind the hills I have compressed and bent the last 2 branches with simple curves by gentle persuasion and force then wired into a temporary position ,
P1120566.JPG
P1120567.JPG
P1120568.JPG
For now this will do until I get another morning or arvo off then I will set up for some movement and compression on the rest of the tree.

Cheers Alpineart .
Raymond
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Raymond »

I've said it before, and I will say it again, :worship: :worship: . Inspirational Alpine. I'll be looking at some big yamodori when the weather cools down over here...
bodhidharma
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: English Elm
Bonsai Age: 24
Bonsai Club: goldfields

Post by bodhidharma »

Looks like you have been having some fun Alp's :tu: :tu: :tu:
"Advice is rarely welcome, and the one's who need it the most welcome it the least"
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by alpineart »

Hi Raymond , I need motivating and inspiring to get things done around here from time to time , been rather slack over the last 12 months .

Hi Bodhi' , mate there is so much material here , some that has never been worked so it time to get into it . Been given some wonderful opportunities lately from individuals and groups regarding Bonsai with displays , sales , workshops and demo's all on the agenda in and around N.E Vic and S.E NSW . Time to tidy up some material for these purposes and the yard at the same time .

Cheers guys . Alpine
Matthew
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: pines and maples
Bonsai Age: 17
Bonsai Club: none

Post by Matthew »

alpineart wrote:Hi Raymond , I need motivating and inspiring to get things done around here from time to time , been rather slack over the last 12 months .

Hi Bodhi' , mate there is so much material here , some that has never been worked so it time to get into it . Been given some wonderful opportunities lately from individuals and groups regarding Bonsai with displays , sales , workshops and demo's all on the agenda in and around N.E Vic and S.E NSW . Time to tidy up some material for these purposes and the yard at the same time .

Cheers guys . Alpine
Alpine

Great stuff ill have to come out and see you when autumn hits and the cooler weather comes in . maybe before easter if you are around then . cheers :D

Return to “Pines and Junipers”