My Greatest challenge ever

Forum for discussion of Pines, Junipers, Cedar etc as bonsai.
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pinus Maples
Bonsai Age: 26
Bonsai Club: Ausbonsai

Re: My Greatest challenge ever

Post by alpineart »

Hi Webos . mate it is alive with the 3 thin leaders showing in the front of the pic . I have toyed with the idea of attempting to remove it with the roots on however its 90mm high and 150mm deep which would mean a big chunk of the main stump would be missing . If i removed it from the pot i may just be able to reduce the cutting size by around 1/3 90 high 100 deep depending on where the energy is flowing around the main trunk .

That branch actually forms 50% of the base on the other side , 35-40 % of the foliage is attached to this lower section . It would make for a very nice new trunk pre jinned , great taper and good contorted movement could be applied to the 3 leaders . I still have 5 other ground /pot layers here so i wouldn't be in a hurry to hack or reduce the base on this one although i believe it would be a vast improvement enabling me to roll the trunk over about 20 degree's to the right tidying up those roots that are very distracting ..

Cheers Alpine
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by alpineart »

These are some of the layers that were collected from the original dig . Now re-potted into bonsai pots and placed nicely into the re-renovated front yard
P1100770.JPG
P1100771.JPG
P1100778.JPG
P1100779.JPG
P1100781.JPG
P1100780.JPG
.Along with a few other collected specimens , Olives
P1100745.JPG
, Elms were placed in the ground , cos i needed the big pot's
P1100747.JPG
The Azalea's are the ones i removed from the rear terraces to build the rock work .All of this material is for future bonsai .
P1100783.JPG
The stepping stones /path will go in tomorrow , enough hard yakka for the day .

Cheers Alpineart
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by alpineart on August 19th, 2015, 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reece
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Conifers.
Bonsai Age: 2

Post by Reece »

You really don't fart around man!

Great stuff.....

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by alpineart »

Hi Reece, no time to piss fart around . A before
P1100744.JPG
and after shot
P1100790.JPG
P1100791.JPG
The finishing touch
P1100793.JPG
Cheers . Alpine
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Elmar
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: living trees!

Post by Elmar »

Flash!

Wanna come to Hedland and do mine!

Cheers
Elmar
Cheers
Elmar
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by alpineart »

Hi Elmar , mate sounds like a plan , but there's more satisfaction in doing it yourself . Bloody long way to go for work .

Cheers Alpine
Elmar
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: living trees!

Post by Elmar »

Oh no, don't worry about the satisfaction! I'm all about sharing! ;)

Looks great, well done!

Cheers
Elmar
Cheers
Elmar
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by alpineart »

Been looking long and hard at this trunk everyday as it sits outside the back door .
P1110319.JPG
While it is a trick bit of gear ,I just couldn't help myself and made the decision to split the trunk off into 2 separate pieces .
P1110320.JPG
P1110321.JPG
P1110322.JPG
P1110323.JPG
P1110324.JPG
P1110326.JPG
P1110328.JPG
P1110329.JPG
P1110330.JPG
P1110331.JPG
I believe its for the better as the smaller section being straight detracts from the movement of the larger piece . Tuff titties cos its already done and dusted
P1110332.JPG
. I wont remove it from its present pot until I can locate another large pot to house the secondary trunk in .

Cheers Alpineart
Truth
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maples and Pines

Post by Truth »

Wow :shock:

You're a braver man than I am! Certainly a very special piece of material you have there, which despite losing some visual girth will definitely be made up by better proportions and movement. Keen to see what you make of this over time, alpineart.
Pearcy001
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Natives and Exotics
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by Pearcy001 »

Nice work Alpine!

Trunkline will look soo much better IMO, although the foliage loss could be a problem? How much foliage do you think you'll lose? It's too hard to tell from the picture.

Could you please explain the wedges? I'm guessing the secondary trunk removal is done over 2 'operations' so to speak, in order to reduce stress caused by such a large cut?

Cheers,
Pearcy.
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by alpineart »

Hi Truth nothing brave about it . The smaller section was going to be removed in any case so simply cutting it off and having an ugly scar or bulky stub to carve didn't fit the picture .

Hi Percy , the foliage on both trunks is about 50%, however it has had several trims and a rotation over the last 4-5 months that I didn't log and it is continually back budding so new growth is a plenty . The old saying "less is more" applies to this trunk as it is too congested with all the branches . The smaller trunk doesn't have much character but it a green trunk so I hope to keep it that way and do something with it . The whole operation was done in less than an hour , the root mass was checked out when I rotated the trunk , should be good for a grower .

The wedges are the easiest way to split trunks after an initial cut or two . The angle and curve on both sides didn't line up and would have been almost impossible to cut cleanly with the sabre saw even after following the growth lines . The wedges simply apply pressure and the trunk splits along the grain be it spiral , curved or straight grained timber . The outside curves cut with the saw are preserved and less damage is done to the surrounding bark .

Cheers Guys Alpine
Pearcy001
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Natives and Exotics

Post by Pearcy001 »

alpineart wrote:Hi Truth nothing brave about it . The smaller section was going to be removed in any case so simply cutting it off and having an ugly scar or bulky stub to carve didn't fit the picture .

Hi Percy , the foliage on both trunks is about 50%, however it has had several trims and a rotation over the last 4-5 months that I didn't log and it is continually back budding so new growth is a plenty . The old saying "less is more" applies to this trunk as it is too congested with all the branches . The smaller trunk doesn't have much character but it a green trunk so I hope to keep it that way and do something with it . The whole operation was done in less than an hour , the root mass was checked out when I rotated the trunk , should be good for a grower .

The wedges are the easiest way to split trunks after an initial cut or two . The angle and curve on both sides didn't line up and would have been almost impossible to cut cleanly with the sabre saw even after following the growth lines . The wedges simply apply pressure and the trunk splits along the grain be it spiral , curved or straight grained timber . The outside curves cut with the saw are preserved and less damage is done to the surrounding bark .

Cheers Guys Alpine
Thanks for the info Alpine. I'm eagerly looking forward to the next update :tu:
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by alpineart »

Hi Percy , mate I haven't been doing much with bonsai around here just keeping most of them alive while selling a few off . As I heal up in body . mind and soul , the work load seems to be focusing on the building side of life "work"rather then the passionate /obsessive side being "Bonsai". Family have also taken up a larger slice of my "spare" time which seems to be keeping me from doing , the most I seem to do around here with bonsai is water daily .

Cheers Alpine
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by alpineart »

Well we have had a few days of good rain , with the roots growing well its time to remove it and see if it will continue to grow . There is a narrow live vein feeding the growth on this smaller trunk however the roots were around 400mm long and very healthy , might be a survivor after all
P1110393.JPG
P1110395.JPG
with a base exceeding 100mm and the trunk about 350mm to the 3 main branches it has good potential :| .

This was basically undisturbed so it can just grow on , plenty of scope for this trunk and at 200mm plus it will make for a nice future bonsai .
P1110396.JPG
P1110397.JPG
The fronts aren't defined or decided on either trunk at this stage due to the splitting process .

Cheers Alpineart
MoGanic
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Shimpaku

Post by MoGanic »

Good vision in splitting the two trees mate, both will be stellar examples of your talent in the future.

:beer:

Have nothing even half as big as this any more after downsizing for our move - despite having more space in the back yard to use... go figure. The wife no longer accepts "in progress" as an excuse haha, I think she's caught on that the beautiful tree's don't grow overnight!

Thanks for sharing as always Sir!

Mo
There are many ways to do things, but only one "best" way.

Return to “Pines and Junipers”