Radiata pine dig

Forum for discussion of Pines, Junipers, Cedar etc as bonsai.
Grant Bowie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Banksia
Bonsai Age: 52
Bonsai Club: Canberra

Re: Radiata pine dig

Post by Grant Bowie »

marleeney wrote:This all looks like great fun plus some rewarding trees. I am new to this could someone please tell me about the digs and where does one go? :? Does one have to get council permission or Grant is this your own growing area. I live in the Campbelltown area of NSW and have never seen so many pyracanthas in my life. I would love to collect some but do not want to end up in jail!! Any suggestions from anyone in the know? Love this site as it is so imformative.
Many thanks
Marleeney :)
The site we were digging on is due to be bulldozed at some point and may not be available again. It is part of the new arboretum being built in Canberra and where the National Bonsai and penjing Collection of Australia will eventually be located.

The dig was a reward for the volunteers and guides of the collection who have freely donated their time to look after the general public and help with the bonsai.

If the site is un bulldozed in August we are considering doing another dig and making the invitation wider and doing it in conjunction with the Canberra Bonsai Society.

The weather on the day came and went and I only pulled out the camera in between showers and digging up my own tree. They say the wind chill factor at the footy match that evening was minus 10.

There are lots of radiata pain all over australia and so it shouldn't be hard to find your own local sources. I have seen P halipensis out west which would be good for those around Wagga and generally inland. If you can dig up with some soil even better and if you can spade around the roots the year before also much better.
marleeney
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Figs
Bonsai Age: 20

Post by marleeney »

Thank you Grant most imformative. I will have to find out a bit more about this area. I think this is a wonderful site. The bonsai info is very helpful to us all Many thanks for replying.
Marleeney :D
ketutg
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Ficus
Bonsai Age: 6
Bonsai Club: SA Bonsai Society

Post by ketutg »

some great material there. digs are always fun.
If it was cold why was the person in the first photo wearing shorts??

Look forward to see the progression of these trees in time to come
Grant Bowie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Banksia
Bonsai Age: 52
Bonsai Club: Canberra

Post by Grant Bowie »

ketutg wrote:some great material there. digs are always fun.
If it was cold why was the person in the first photo wearing shorts??

Look forward to see the progression of these trees in time to come
He was obviously a hardened Canberran and laughed at the weather, plus he got what he wanted and was back in his car reasonably quickly. Me(a recent Canberran)I came prepared for the weather but I had to lone my beanie to the pointy headed one and only had a cap on my head but plenty of layers elsewhere.

The hills around Canberra get all the rain. While Canberra had about 20mm rain Mt Ginnini had over 70mm. My tanks are full now and I got through 5 months of drought with about 9,000 litres of tank water and never had to use town water.

Return to “Pines and Junipers”