Yamadori Radiata Pine

Forum for discussion of Pines, Junipers, Cedar etc as bonsai.
terryb
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 4
Bonsai Club: SA Bonsai Society; VNBC

Re: Yamadori Radiata Pine

Post by terryb »

I saw this tree at the last SABS meeting and the movement in the lower trunk is really nice. For a multi-sensory experience the recently worked jins had the display smelling like pines too!
Luke308
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: maple & pines
Bonsai Age: 13
Bonsai Club: S.A Bonsai Society

Post by Luke308 »

Thank you. Yes it has certainly taught me patience, but I was brand new to bonsai when I got this.

There has certainly been a lot of design options, and I wasn't in a hurry to make any drastic changes. The first suggestion to remove the lower right branch was 4 years ago. I personally think this has really made the "bonsai within" stand out and accentuate the trunk line. As mentioned there is still a long way to go but I am loving this tree more and more each year. Whilst it may not be to everyone's preferred taste bonsai is an art afterall.
WHERE THE SAP FLOWS, THE WOOD GROWS
anthonyW
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Figs,Pines.
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by anthonyW »

Hi Luke, good potential there, and just another set of eyes, nothing more and only looking at a flat screen of course.

Your tree to me is made up of two very distinct halves, especially with the elbow at half way accentuating it, then your branching starting straight above making it even more obvious, with the heavy four branches competing to me unbalances the tree...as you do have a very nice slim tapering trunk.

To balance I have removed in the virt to show you another option, you could have look at keeping the guy in blue maybe?

As you have asked for other views, hopeful I have put that in a nice way..maybe something there and thank you for sharing.
php9aLkSWAM.jpg
phpd3fQCSAM.jpg
phpoWKN3fAM.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Luke308
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Luke308 »

anthonyW wrote: July 5th, 2019, 5:55 pm Hi Luke, good potential there, and just another set of eyes, nothing more and only looking at a flat screen of course.

Your tree to me is made up of two very distinct halves, especially with the elbow at half way accentuating it, then your branching starting straight above making it even more obvious, with the heavy four branches competing to me unbalances the tree...as you do have a very nice slim tapering trunk.

To balance I have removed in the virt to show you another option, you could have look at keeping the guy in blue maybe?

As you have asked for other views, hopeful I have put that in a nice way..maybe something there and thank you for sharing.

php9aLkSWAM.jpg

phpd3fQCSAM.jpg

phpoWKN3fAM.jpg

Thanks, I do plan on removing one of the branches on the right when I get a bit more growth...... just waiting to see what back buds best.

It is still very much a work in progress :tu:
Luke308
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Luke308 »

It has been a long time since an update on this Radiata.

I took it to a workshop with Sam Thompson in 2022 and we removed a lot of the branches on the right hand side.

Whilst I loved the direction the tree was heading it, I still felt it was lacking something.

I repotted it in late winter 2022 as the roots had pushed it up out of the pot. I literally had to saw the root-ball in half it was so dense.

We were having Scott Martin over for workshops with my local club, so I flicked him an email asking his thoughts. Straight away he suggested a slight angle change to the right hand side. Upon chocking up the tree a little to try this I was inspired.

The other thing that has been an issue the past couple of years is the bark has been flaking off in some spots.

I took this tree along to a workshop with Scott Martin, and we got stuck in to it. We chocked up the tree to loo at the angle change, and I made the scary decision to remove the bark that was peeling/flaking off which revealed a beautiful natural shari.

Once I got home I got the die grinder/dremmel out with a bunch of wire brush wheels and cleaned up the shari. I also removed a bit more bark to bring the shari around on the front right hand side of tree to invite the viewer in a little more.

It still has a long journey to go, but it has come so far from when it was dug up back in 2011.

I plan on re-potting it again this year, but it will be solely for an angle change and I might change the pot to a slightly wider and shallower pot.

As always, I am happy hear thoughts, suggestions and critiques.
radiata Sam Thompson 2022.jpeg
radiata Sam Thompson after 2022.jpg
Radiata before Scott Martin 2023 1.jpg
Radiata 2023 1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Pines and Junipers”