Juniperus chinensis pyramidalis

Forum for discussion of Pines, Junipers, Cedar etc as bonsai.
dark1
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: taxodium
Bonsai Age: 30
Bonsai Club: bimer,qld. society

Re: Juniperus chinensis pyramidalis

Post by dark1 »

G'day Sekans, :imo: You are doing well, well wired and a good start. Now can I say that if it was mine I would change a few things.1. I would remove the bottom branch on the r/h side and shorten the one above it.2. I would then bend the branches down a little more so they are not straight out. 3.Now that direction has been made more pronounced to the left, the tree needs to be re-potted at the opposite end of the pot to keep the balance. 4. Finally look at the apex and see if you can shorten it a little, that will bring more weight to the trunk and give a feeling of a little more age. This is just my view, we all have our idea's and there is nothing wrong with yours. Main thing is to have fun and enjoy your tree's. Good luck, Michael.
sekans
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by sekans »

Thanks for the suggestions Michael! They're greatly appreciated.
I've considered removing the lowest branch, however as the lower trunk is lacking in thickness I figured it wouldn't hurt to leave it there longer and hopefully aid the thunk in thickening. Eventually I will decide whether I chop it off or not.
I fully agree with your suggestion for the branches to be angled downwards. As this cultivar naturally has near vertical growing branches I'm finding this very hard to do. I am however hoping to eventually get the branches angled lower than they currently are.
I'll take your suggestion on lowering the apex into account when I work on the tree next :tu:

Any other suggestions are welcome! :)
Boics
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Banksia, Syzygium, Cotoneaster. Leptospermum
Bonsai Age: 7

Post by Boics »

It really depends on what you are trying to achieve.
If you want a better looking tree with a little more style and age I would.

1. Move the 2nd of 3rd branch up as a new apex which in turn reduces the tree's height.
2. Picture a new "triangle" emanating from this new apex and lose some width on each branch as you go down the tree.
3. Potentially lose a few branches and preferably leave them as Jin's or Stubs.
4. Try to concentrate on ramifying the branches that are left to build some depth.

If you are after a larger and thicker trunk then avoid all options above, put in the ground maybe and just let it grow for a couple of years.

Keep us posted!
One of the fabulous things about growing bonsai is as you get old and decrepit your trees get old and beautiful
Kieranrulz
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Plum
Bonsai Age: 1
Bonsai Club: BSA

Post by Kieranrulz »

Any updates?
Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible God & destroys a visible Nature. Unaware that the Nature he is destroying is this God he is worshiping - Hubert Reeves
Chrismelo
Favorite Species: Ficus
Bonsai Age: 3
Bonsai Club: None ( yet ) but follow heeps on Facebook

Post by Chrismelo »

Did I go to far with my attempt
4DA30050-F866-4C82-82F5-1600A813AC73.jpeg
9E6F2050-A853-4CB2-B69C-74D2A1188D0B.jpeg
61C6A5CE-E4D1-4495-89BF-BA07A2CD07C2.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Pines and Junipers”