Juniper - 'not suitable for bonsai'

Forum for discussion of Pines, Junipers, Cedar etc as bonsai.
Jason
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Melaleuca and Callistemon
Bonsai Age: 3
Bonsai Club: Bonsai Society of WA

Juniper - 'not suitable for bonsai'

Post by Jason »

So I had a workshop over the weekend, where I took in a Juniper that I had purchased from the green shed a few months ago. I'd purchased the juniper when I was at that stage where I was buying everything I laid eyes on, with grand plans of bonsai'ing it :oops:

So I took it along to the workshop, plonked it down on the table... and was almost immediately told that it wasn't a species that was suitable to bonsai :palm: When I bought it, I was under the impression that Juniper=Bonsai, obviously, I know differently now, but I'd been sitting on this one for a while without actually knowing what type of Juniper it was, so still thought it was good!

I was told the problem is that this particular type of juniper, has two types of foliage present, both scale and spiked. I'd heard of adult and juvinile foliage, but not this :( So it would be difficult to make into a decent bonsai.

So I wasn't too sure what to do after that, not wanting to waste my time on a tree with no hope... but in the end I couldn't contain myself for too long, and with some encouragement from fellow members, I decided to give it a go anyway. I can still practice on it, and any practice is good practice in my books.

Here it is before (sorry for the background mess):

You can see an enlarged version here: http://downunderbonsai.files.wordpress. ... 010081.jpg If you zoom in you can see the different types of foliage

My plan was a semi cascade at first, but as I was working through it, the style kind of changed to more of a windswept. This is what I came away with (still needs a lot of filling out):

So this is now going to become my 'training tree', where I'm going to practice a few different things with, like adding a shari, without the worry of losing something valuable.

Comments, critiques... jokes, are all welcome :) Part of learning, is making mistakes after all :whistle:

And if anyone knows the species, I'd really love to know, so that I can avoid this in the future. Happy to take some close up shots of foliage if need be. The spikey foliage was VERY spikey and not fun to work with :lol:
Have a question? The AusBonsai Wiki most likely has the answer!

Looking for a Nursery or Club near your? Check out the AusBonsai Directory which lists them all

RogerW
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: all
Bonsai Age: 28
Bonsai Club: Canberra Bonsai Society

Re: Juniper - 'not suitable for bonsai'

Post by RogerW »

The juniper looks like a Savin Juniper, juniperus sabina, that grows from Europe to the Caucasus. It is used for bonsai and you can see examples in Bonsai Focus.

Wimmy
kcpoole
Perpetual Learner
Perpetual Learner
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: the School Of Bonsai

Post by kcpoole »

Looks like Sabina to me and common in the big shed

NOt used often but sometimes they are worthwhile when you find some old Gardenadori

Ken
Check out our Wiki for awesome bonsai information www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki
What is Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Bonsai
What should I do now? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Newbie
How do I grow a Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _a_Bonsai?
Visit a Bonsai nursery to see some real nice trees http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _Nurseries
Jason
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Jason »

Thanks for that guys :)

I'll definately keep it, its something for me to work on and practice with, and maybe one day it'll turn into something nice. At least I can set my expectations of the tree now :tu2:

Another lesson learned, luckily only a cheap one :P

Looking for a Nursery or Club near your? Check out the AusBonsai Directory which lists them all

Beano
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Beano »

I think your cascade styling looks great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Elmar
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: living trees!
Bonsai Age: 2

Post by Elmar »

I love wind swept style! Some people say water swept but I dont know what the difference is between the two...

Cheers
EZ
Sent using Tapatalk
Cheers
Elmar
jimsai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: conifers
Bonsai Age: 7
Bonsai Club: nil

Post by jimsai »

Thats a great little tree ,

cheers , jim.
trident76
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple, Ash, Olive
Bonsai Age: 20
Bonsai Club: S.A Bonsai Society

Post by trident76 »

Don't be put off by comments about having two foliage types.
Juvenile and adult foliage on junipers are just that, younger foliage and older foliage.
Even the greatest japanese examples you may see may have at some point had juvenile foliage, and if pruned aggresively or kept in low light conditions, would show this juvenile foliage again.
Try to imagine what you would like this tree to be. If you are happy with its current size, continue in a similar sized bonsai pot. If you would like the tree to eventually be larger, feel free to pot it up and feed well.
Cheers,
Luke
After roughly 20 years of growing bonsai, I reckon I might just be starting to get the hang of it...
raewynk
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Styrax,juniper,pine,anything that has a leaf on it
Bonsai Age: 1
Bonsai Club: bonsaiempire.com

Post by raewynk »

Jason, I am only a newbie, but if it counts, :imo: looks pretty darn good to me. I love the balance and the foliage.
I had one similar that I bought from bunnings and I had to cut back heavy and now have a great many new shoots coming through.
They can bite the little devils if you handle them the wrong way.
I was digging out a splinter for days afterwards.

:cool: :fc:

regards
Rae

Learning is a journey in life, that our mistakes teach us.
My grey hair is my solar panel, as with the leaf on the bonsai is theirs.
Jason
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Jason »

Thanks for the comments guys :) Is heartening to hear it wasn't a waste of time or wire :tu:

I'm thinking of keeping it at its current size, and just letting it fill out :) I really have no idea what style of pot I'd put it in though :lost:

missybonsai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Trident Maple
Bonsai Club: Nepean Bonsai Society

Post by missybonsai »

I think your tree looks great! The spiky foliage will go away once the tree gets older and remains healthy :tu: I think we need to open our minds as to whats supposedly suitable and whats not. Then our bonsai can become works of art rather than cookie cutter science! In my book, if it looks beautiful (which yours does, even at this early stage) then its suitable. You've got the right idea to use this as practice as well :D
Beano
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Beano »

LOL! i've got 2 terminalia catappa trees which I'm treating differently but hoping to turn into bonsai. They have MASSIVE leaves. I have no idea if they'll reduce. I'm still going to try and bonsai them. They are the only trees that I know of that will for certain turn autumn coloured in the tropics.
Slothman
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by Slothman »

Jason wrote:Thanks for the comments guys :) Is heartening to hear it wasn't a waste of time or wire :tu:

I'm thinking of keeping it at its current size, and just letting it fill out :) I really have no idea what style of pot I'd put it in though :lost:
I will make you feel better in the coming days. I just "styled" and I used that term loosely, my Procumbens I picked up the other week.

Mistakes where made, words where had and frustration was felt.

I did things in the total wrong order but I had to learn somehow :)

So I will post the picks when finished in about a week and trust me......I would trade it for yours in a heartbeat :)
Jason
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Jason »

Slothman wrote:
Jason wrote:Thanks for the comments guys :) Is heartening to hear it wasn't a waste of time or wire :tu:

I will make you feel better in the coming days. I just "styled" and I used that term loosely, my Procumbens I picked up the other week.

Mistakes where made, words where had and frustration was felt.

I did things in the total wrong order but I had to learn somehow :)

So I will post the picks when finished in about a week and trust me......I would trade it for yours in a heartbeat :)
I think we can learn a lot from just giving it a go. I can read something a million times, but I'll forget as soon as I go to do it. Like wiring, I've read and read on how to properly anchor wiring, but I STILL manage to cross my wires or end up with a dodgey anchor point. (like the one pictured above has two branches that move together :oops: :lol: )

Look forward to seeing your tree :)

Elmar
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: living trees!
Bonsai Age: 2

Post by Elmar »

Well Jason,
You've made dodgey look good! Lol

Cheers
EZ
By Tapatalk