My biggest challenge yet

Forum for discussion of Pines, Junipers, Cedar etc as bonsai.
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines & Mels
Bonsai Age: 7

Re: My biggest challenge yet

Post by Ryceman3 »

My only advice would be to stick this in a round pot... That way you don't need to settle for one "front" as it looks great from pretty much every angle by the looks! Superb... :tu:
kez
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines, Junipers
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by kez »

well, another 2 years give or take

This tree has actually had a lot of changes, last autumn it got a change of front and a new pot, and then it was unwired in October and left to grow over the summer as it was a little weak and a little yellow, a but too much work over the first 3 years realistcally

As it moved into autumn this year I lost a couple of the tertiary branches but overall the tree responded well to being left and fed, the growth is still short, and while not a huge flush of growth what it has produced is robust and healthy.

Depending on what it does in spring I may not candle cut again this year but we will see

Anyway over the last week I have been slowly re wiring this tree and tightening up the style in the current orientation, it still needs a bit in the apex but I am happy with the progress since the last update
IMG_6294 (1024x683).jpg
And the bark on this tree is starting to make its way down into the secondary branching which is very nice, but it makes wiring hard
IMG_6297 (1024x683).jpg
and the trunk is getting better and better
IMG_6300 (1024x683).jpg
You can really tell what being grown in a pot its whole life does, this tree is by far the oldest looking pine I have, even though I have older pines

anyway hope you all enjoy

Kerrin
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by kez on April 24th, 2018, 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kez
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines, Junipers
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by kez »

another 6 months on
IMG_6445 (1024x683).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Pines and Junipers”