Twin trunk Red pine

Forum for discussion of Pines, Junipers, Cedar etc as bonsai.
kez
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines, Junipers
Bonsai Age: 0

Twin trunk Red pine

Post by kez »

Hey folks,

I was initially not going to post this up as I am not 10% happy as yet, but what the hey, hopefully some other eyes can help me see the way forward.

I picked this one up on Friday and was very excited to work on this, I believe there is a very striking tree in there somewhere. It was a little on the weaker side after it's summer prune and I may have done a little to much but we will see what happens.

Here's a before shot, the tree was very busy, and looking at it in this pic makes me realise the amount of work I did :fc:
IMG_1824 (800x533).jpg
And as it is now
IMG_1843 (800x533).jpg
And a shot with the trusty 1ltr bottle of seasol for scale
IMG_1842 (800x533).jpg
My issues with the tree at present are (bear in mind that this tree is very hard to accurately photograph, and looks better in the bark, but I'm sure everyone says that)

Apex on the left side, a little obscured, not as defined/separate from the right as I would like but as the tree pushes new growth I hope to rectify this

First branches on the right trunk, this was a busy area with 3 branches coming out in and whorl and the trunk extending up past this point, I am unsure of what to do here, I feel it needs to have the right hand branch for balance, and in the bark the branch that moves left is important as well (hard to see in the photo) but it is a bit of a bar branch, also the branch moving up and left forms another part of the upper structure, but it may be a big part of the reason the left apex is obscured, and it also distracts from the main trunk on the right.
Any help with this issues would be great, as well as any other general comments.

I will feed heavily come spring and let it regain vigour next season

Kez
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kez
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Re: Twin trunk Red pine

Post by kez »

Looking at it in the photos, perhaps the first left branch on the left trunk could also go?
bodhidharma
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: English Elm
Bonsai Age: 24
Bonsai Club: goldfields

Post by bodhidharma »

You need to make a decision on the lower branches on the right hand trunk. Way to many coming from the same place. Could be good jin candidates. I personally think this could be a good tree in the future.
"Advice is rarely welcome, and the one's who need it the most welcome it the least"
Boics
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Banksia, Syzygium, Cotoneaster. Leptospermum
Bonsai Age: 7

Post by Boics »

Hi Kez.

From what I see we need a lot less branches.

That whorl is a big eye catching issue for mine.
The right hand branch is important for balance.
Inner branches are not so important, will be shaded and will likely lose strength and die in Bonsai and nature.

If the bar branch is important maybe even Jin the left side which will allow it to add some character/depth but avoid the congestion and future problems (reverse taper) that the whorl will inevitably produce?

It looks to me like there are enough branches above to be pulled down into the void that this branch or jin proposal would create?

There is also what looks like a really thick branch on the left hand tree I think this and the lower branch you talk of could go as well..

That is my 2c - no expert but I think I've seen enough tree's to provide comment.
One of the fabulous things about growing bonsai is as you get old and decrepit your trees get old and beautiful
Grant Bowie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Banksia
Bonsai Age: 52
Bonsai Club: Canberra

Post by Grant Bowie »

I would fertilise a couple of times before winter to set it up health wise.

Feed again from August and if the new growth is really healthy in spring then do a full candle prune (in your part of the world) in mid December.

Do not remove any branches now till the tree is styled next autumn from say March onwards.

The reason not to remove any more branches now is to allow maximum strength for the tree over winter and then to diffuse the new vigour in spring and early summer. The new growth after the candle prune will be prolific, healthy and short.

Then we will take a lot of branches off next year in Autumn. Way too many branches and not enough shape; but full of potential.

In my opinion.

Grant

PS. Come along to Bonsai By The Harbour. Lots of focus on pines this year.
Guy
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: juniper
Bonsai Age: 15

Post by Guy »

are you sure this is the front?
Jason
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Melaleuca and Callistemon
Bonsai Age: 3
Bonsai Club: Bonsai Society of WA

Post by Jason »

Looks like great matieral to work with, I can definately see 'something' there! Look forward to seeing where it goes mate :)
Have a question? The AusBonsai Wiki most likely has the answer!

Looking for a Nursery or Club near your? Check out the AusBonsai Directory which lists them all

kez
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by kez »

Hey folks,

Firstly thank you all for your input, this is exactly what I needed the extra pairs of eyes for, like you all have said I feel this tree has great potential and the more advice and input regarding it's future the better the chances that the potential will be reached.

now, where to start ;)

Bodhi,

Firstly thanks for your input, I agree, and I think the branch to go will be the one going up and left, I think there will be foliage to fill the hole, and it is both thick and confusing.

Boics,

Thank you as well for your input, your comments on the trees I have posted have been great, and they are appreciated. Yep, there are to many branches at this stage but I think the health of the tree depends on retaining them for now (wholeheartedly agree with you Grant), come next Autumn they will be reduced. I hope in removing the upper left branch from the whorl I will be able to address the eye catching nature of that area. You also got me on that big left branch, I had hoped to hide it :D . There are branches coming from it that are important to the left hand shape so I will see what happens there.

Grant

firstly, :worship:

Secondly,

Thank you for taking the time to give your input, your expertise and experience is greatly appreciated, and I intend to do exactly as you say in regards to feeding and building strength and vigour. I look forward to any advice you have to offer on branch selection when the time comes next autumn. I will also most definitely be making it to bonsai by the harbour

Guy,

Yep, at this stage anyway

Jason,

Thank you for your kind words, I look forward to keeping you all posted on updates in the future

well, sorry for the long reply folks, but I think that about covers the thankyou's at this stage :tu: :tu: :tu:

Cheers again

Kez
wrcmad
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple, Pine, Fig
Bonsai Age: 34

Post by wrcmad »

twin1.jpg
twin1a.jpg
LJWP2.jpg
Apologies for my virt efforts.... this will take a bit of practice.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by wrcmad on May 5th, 2014, 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kez
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by kez »

Thanks wrcmad,

Mate I think that is a great virt, would not have considered this direction but I think it's a great option. Anybody else have any thoughts on this direction?

Kez
kez
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by kez »

Did the nest bit of work on this tree today,

I had initially planned to wait until next Autumn to do further work on this tree, and I brought it up to bonsai by the harbour along with my JBP just to get a bit of guidance for when the time came. Grant had a look and when I said I intended to wait until next year due to the possible weakness of the tree he seemed to think that the tree was in good health and if the time permitted some work could be done.

Unfortunately time didn't permit but I have been waiting for a chance ever since to clean this one up a bit. I decided that the whorl of branches was the biggest problem so today I bit the bullet and took the area back to 2, this was also done at all the branch forks except for the right apex, which is still a bit of a mess, but I will wait until spring to see what pops up up there before making any decisions.

Here's the tree after work
IMG_2052 (800x533).jpg
Kez
dark1
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: taxodium
Bonsai Age: 30
Bonsai Club: bimer,qld. society

Post by dark1 »

Hi Kez, I can see where wrcmad is coming from and I like the end result as pictured. What you have done today is leading in to this and the tree is looking great, I see nothing but a bright future for this project and Grant always gives excellent advice.This is well on its way to being a very good tree.Have patience, Michael.
kez
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by kez »

Just thought I'd update this one as it's pushed a stack of healthy new growth. This tree moved much earlier than my JBP's, interesting to see how similar trees in the same position work at different times/rates. I did feed quite heavily over winter as I knew it was a little week from trimming last summer and it looks like the tree has appreciated it
IMG_2725 (1024x683).jpg
Cheers,

Kerrin
kez
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by kez »

Well.......

Today I got brave.......
IMG_3042 (1024x683).jpg
And a shot of the jin (sorry, focus was on the needles it appears)
IMG_3044 (1024x683).jpg
Does this thread need an amended title? :lol:

This wasn't my initial intention today, I have been going backwards and forwards re. whether to cut the candles on this tree is they aren't overlong, and I think it needed the bulk after its sparse coat through winter. I went out to re-wire and maybe branch/candle select and this ended up happening :lost:

Anyway I think maybe I always knew this was the direction, just was fighting to keep the twin trunk, but I couldn't reconcile the bulky healthy left and the leggy right so I took the plunge..

What does everyone think?

Kez
wattynine
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: bonsai
Bonsai Age: 10
Bonsai Club: Backyard Bonsai

Post by wattynine »

I have to say Kez, I like both looks, if it was for the health of the tree I understand the decision of removal, but for me (I'm sorry) I like the look of the twin trunk more.
Doesn't matter now of course hindsight is 20/20 vision.
Watty

Return to “Pines and Junipers”