Japanese Black Pine longitudinal study; Collaborators needed

Forum for discussion of Pines, Junipers, Cedar etc as bonsai.
Grant Bowie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Banksia
Bonsai Age: 52
Bonsai Club: Canberra

Re: Japanese Black Pine longitudinal study; Collaborators needed

Post by Grant Bowie »

CoGRedeMptioN wrote:Thx Grant,
I don't have any pines (and certainly no expertise to speak of. lol) and that was confusing my simple mind.

Once we leave Port Hedland (for cooler shores) I'd like to get into Pines as I very much like their mature trunks with the foliage!

Cheers
Elmar
In colder climates we really need to focus on the vigour of the trees; not such a big worry where it is warm or hot. They have other problems to contend with like weeds, pests, very long growing season and trees becoming exhausted etc.

Grant
Elmar
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: living trees!
Bonsai Age: 2

Japanese Black Pine longitudinal study; Collaborators needed

Post by Elmar »

Are you saying that I might be able to grow them here in Hedland?

Cheers
Elmar
Last edited by Elmar on April 18th, 2015, 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers
Elmar
Grant Bowie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Grant Bowie »

CoGRedeMptioN wrote:Are you saying that I might be able to grow them here in Hedland?

Cheers
Elmar
Not sure. You can get very hot and humid?

Grant
Elmar
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: living trees!
Bonsai Age: 2

Post by Elmar »

Ohhh yes! We average mid to high forties dec thru to Feb, our humidity ranges from ringing wet from walking to the gate to waking up soaking... We have high thirties and low forties for about 8 months of the year (currently heading in to winter) but in winter it can get quite cold (for us) to low sub 10 degrees.

I doubt it has ever frosted here but I can remember turning in the oven and opening the door to heat the house. You don't seem to get heaters in Hedland ... Lol we call them BBQs.

So in short, it's predominantly hot in Hedland and humidity tends to go very high in summer times.

Cheers
Elmar
Cheers
Elmar
Grant Bowie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Grant Bowie »

CoGRedeMptioN wrote:Ohhh yes! We average mid to high forties dec thru to Feb, our humidity ranges from ringing wet from walking to the gate to waking up soaking... We have high thirties and low forties for about 8 months of the year (currently heading in to winter) but in winter it can get quite cold (for us) to low sub 10 degrees.

I doubt it has ever frosted here but I can remember turning in the oven and opening the door to heat the house. You don't seem to get heaters in Hedland ... Lol we call them BBQs.

So in short, it's predominantly hot in Hedland and humidity tends to go very high in summer times.

Cheers
Elmar
An interesting and challenging environment for man, beast and plant.

You can only try but with something inexpensive
Grant
Grant Bowie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Grant Bowie »

Ok,

Enough chatter on this thread thanks,

Pine related info only pertinent to thread.

Grant
Last edited by Grant Bowie on April 20th, 2015, 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Neli
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Tropical
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: Bonsai alaminutte

Post by Neli »

For what it is worth, I had no results up to now and I have strange things happening to my pines.
They came from Japan in 2013 and they are still following Japanese time table for pushing candles. They are having candles growing now. :?: :) :o :(
But the one that I fertilized all year round has long candles while the others dont have. :cool:
And my pictures have disappeared. :shock:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I ask lots of questions that sound like suggestions. Please remember I am a inquisitive newbie trying to figure out why You made a particular decision, in order to learn.
I started a blog:http://nelibonsai.wordpress.com/2013/07 ... a-nursery/
Grant Bowie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Grant Bowie »

Neli wrote:For what it is worth, I had no results up to now and I have strange things happening to my pines.
They came from Japan in 2013 and they are still following Japanese time table for pushing candles. They are having candles growing now. :?: :) :o :(
But the one that I fertilized all year round has long candles while the others dont have. :cool:
And my pictures have disappeared. :shock:
It is unusual to have any elongation of growth at this time of year. New needles are unlikely to unfurl and elongate.The buds/candles for next year can however be quite large and prominent without actually growing any further at this time of year. I have seen elongated buds as long as even 25mm to 75mm.They can swell and plump up in readiness for spring in 3 to 4 months time.

More vigour in the tree and larger/longer growth is OK as long as you control it in the next full candle prune in November or December; whenever it is you do it.

Thanks for posting.

Grant
Grant Bowie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Grant Bowie »

Could all those who are still active in this study PM me and let me know how you are going and if you need any advice.

I would also like to discuss the next years study to follow on from what we have.

I am also interested in any else who would like to join/start this year.

IF YOU DONT ALREADY KNOW, I AM SPEAKING/PRESENTING AT NEXT YEARS AABC CONVENTION IN HOBART ON JAPANESE BLACK PINES AND WILL BE INCORPORATING THIS STUDY AND ITS RESULTS IN MY TALK/DEMO NEXT YEAR. I WILL BE MAKING THE TALK/PRESENTATION NOTES AVAILABLE TO ALL AT THE CONVENTION PLUS ANY CLUBS AND OF COURSE AUSBONSAI.

Thanks

GRANT
Neli
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Neli »

Thanks Grant,
I will continue doing what ever you want us to do and will decandle not as per required timing but when the needles elongate and just before they harden. Will keep you informed how my pines progress.
I ask lots of questions that sound like suggestions. Please remember I am a inquisitive newbie trying to figure out why You made a particular decision, in order to learn.
Grant Bowie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Grant Bowie »

Neli wrote:Thanks Grant,
I will continue doing what ever you want us to do and will decandle not as per required timing but when the needles elongate and just before they harden. Will keep you informed how my pines progress.
Each microclimate will produce slightly different results to another area and your fertilising regimes, degree of sun exposure will all cause variables. So it is good to observe your trees and adjust your techniques to achieve the results you are after.
That could be more or less fertiliser, earlier or later decandling, or in some cases a different method of decandling. More or less sun, more or less water, different potting mixes etc. there are a lot of possible variables, even the size of the tree can affect how you approach the techniques for that tree.

Grant
Neli
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Neli »

Now that you mention sun, I am wondering if that has not played a role also . That pine is the last on the row and the 30 % shade ends above it So must be getting more afternoon sun, but again not much more considering the angle of the sun and the fact that they are next to each other, They all get some morning sun also.
I shall repot them all in August. And keep you informed.
TreeHugger
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Japanese Maples,Chinese elms
Bonsai Age: 3
Bonsai Club: South Australian Bonsai Society Inc

Post by TreeHugger »

Hi grant,
I'm in adelaide and have a couple of black pines that I'd like to experiment on with your guidance, however I missed the first year of the study.... Where shall I begin?
Grant Bowie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Grant Bowie »

TreeHugger wrote:Hi grant,
I'm in adelaide and have a couple of black pines that I'd like to experiment on with your guidance, however I missed the first year of the study.... Where shall I begin?
Part of the study is to make observations and record them on a spread sheet over a year; so if you wish to take part you will need to accept this task.
We need two Japanese Black Pines pines of similar age, maturity, health and repotted-ness.

This year you have 2 choices straightaway; Do I fertilise the two pines through winter at the standard rate and frequency; or do I not fertilise all winter?

I found it beneficial to fertilise over winter.

Observations will start in spring so we have plenty of time to get you into the program otherwise.

I will send you a PM

Grant
Grant Bowie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Grant Bowie »

Just spoke with a person on the NSW mid North Coast and another just north of Brisbane.

They have varying experiences with fertilising over winter, some good, some not, some indeterminate.

Any one out there north of Coffs all the way up FNQ with experiences?

Grant

Return to “Pines and Junipers”