Radiata pine maintenance schedule????

Forum for discussion of Pines, Junipers, Cedar etc as bonsai.
EJZ
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: native
Bonsai Age: 3
Bonsai Club: School of Bonsai

Radiata pine maintenance schedule????

Post by EJZ »

Hi All,

I have a few radiate Pines that where collected 2years ago, however I don’t have any Idea of how to grow and maintain them in order to get good ramification and smaller needles.

There is so much information out there on Japanese Black pines, however I have not managed to find anything on Radiatas.

Could someone please share a few tips, maintenance schedule and/or any experiences.

Thanks in advance

Cheers

Eugene
Eugene
matty-j
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: ficus, hawthorn
Bonsai Age: 4
Bonsai Club: School Of Bonsai

Re: Radiata pine maintenance schedule????

Post by matty-j »

Hi Eugene

I don't know where you are located in Sydney but there is a great bonsai nursery in South sydney called Bonsai South. The owner of the nursery has written a very detailed book on going pines in sydney, its called Pine bonsai in the temperate climate. I have a copy of this book and think its fantastic! I recommend getting a copy, its a great read and a good excuse to go to a bonsai nursery :shifty:

Cheers
Matt
“The beginning is perhaps more difficult than anything else, but keep heart, it will turn out all right.”
― Vincent van Gogh
EJZ
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: native
Bonsai Age: 3
Bonsai Club: School of Bonsai

Post by EJZ »

matty-j wrote:Hi Eugene

I don't know where you are located in Sydney but there is a great bonsai nursery in South sydney called Bonsai South. The owner of the nursery has written a very detailed book on going pines in sydney, its called Pine bonsai in the temperate climate. I have a copy of this book and think its fantastic! I recommend getting a copy, its a great read and a good excuse to go to a bonsai nursery :shifty:

Cheers
Matt
Hi Matt,

got the book...Great book... lots of info on japanese black pines...a few pictures of radiata pines.

not alot of info on radiata pine maintenace.

Cheers

Eugene

Eugene
Eugene
Grant Bowie
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Banksia
Bonsai Age: 52
Bonsai Club: Canberra

Post by Grant Bowie »

In my experience the Radiata pine is much weaker than the J Black pine and you need to leave more needles/foliage on the tree than the black pine.

Make sure when you repot it that you also don't have too little foliage on the tree; the Radiata has a weak root system whereas the Black pine has a strong root system. The strength is in the needles rather than the roots.

Some people treat them the same as black pines but there were a lot of losses amongst Radiatas in Melbourne over the past few years.

They also have a shorter natural life span than the black pine so this is a guide.

They will have needles, buds, candle etc at different stages of growth all over the tree at the same time but this is natural.

Grant
Scott Roxburgh
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pine, Maple, and Juniper
Bonsai Age: 8
Bonsai Club: Canberra Bonsai Society

Post by Scott Roxburgh »

Last edited by Scott Roxburgh on July 10th, 2014, 2:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maples, Elms, Cedars and Pines
Bonsai Age: 7
Bonsai Club: Waverley Bonsai Group & Yarra Valley Bonsai Society

Post by MJL »

Howdy All,

Just a bit of a bump to this thread. I am interested to know if there has been any further advice/knowledge re: Radiata (Monterey) pine? I see that Ryan Neil suggests approaching it similar to Ponderosa pine.

Any further updates on knowledge re: Radiata.

Cheers in advance.

Mark

Bonsai teaches me patience.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tending bonsai teaches me patience.

Return to “Pines and Junipers”