sick juniper

Forum for discussion of Pines, Junipers, Cedar etc as bonsai.
Todd
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: juniper
Bonsai Age: 0

sick juniper

Post by Todd »

I got this little juniper off a friend who is no longer interested in bonsai. I think his lack of interest has left this juniper in a bit of bad health. Although the new growth seems ok there are alot of brown branches closer to the trunk. Im also concerned about the roots, the tree is unstable and wables around when I pick up the pot. I've had this plant for 2 weeks and I keep it in full sun for most of the day and water once every morning.

its in a 5 inch pot for an idea of size.

I am new to bonsai so any advice on what may have caused this and how it can be fixed would be greatly appreciated.
rps20140903_162343.jpg
rps20140903_162425.jpg
rps20140903_162410.jpg
rps20140903_162441.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rodm
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines junipers and others
Bonsai Age: 40

Re: sick juniper

Post by rodm »

Hi gc,
I would be inclined to take it out the pot and have a look at the root, prune off all the dead roots, reduce the root ball by a 1/3. Clean out the old potting mix, put in some new mix. Prune all the dead foliage out to encourage the new growth. Give it drink of some 1/2 strength Seasol in the mix and a some foliate spray. Give some sunshine. Then watch and wait. After a couple of weeks or so and if it show signs regrowth, feed with 1/2 Powerfeed. Tis the season for growth. Best of luck and keep us posted :2c: ;)
Cheers Rod
Black Knight
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Conifers
Bonsai Age: 22
Bonsai Club: The School of Bonsai Inc

Re: sick juniper

Post by Black Knight »

Hi gc,
I suggest you cut back on the daily watering. Junipers do not like it wet in the cooler months.
Good luck with your new tree.
Cheers

Return to “Pines and Junipers”