Big squamata

Forum for discussion of Pines, Junipers, Cedar etc as bonsai.
dan.e
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Juniper
Bonsai Age: 1

Re: Big squamata

Post by dan.e »

looks great kez I love the pads ,and I like the longer look ,as I have a few of these Squamata,s also although not quite as big as yours are you worried about it developing reverse taper as there is no lower branches anymore ,or as you get to your stage of refinement were you don't let it elongate as much does it maintain its current taper ? just curious ? I'm still learning but love these junipers but they seem to get reverse taper quite easily
Keep Calm and Ramify
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by Keep Calm and Ramify »

You've got some lovely bark texture on that trunk. Refinement A+.
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maples, Elms, Cedars and Pines
Bonsai Age: 7
Bonsai Club: Waverley Bonsai Group & Yarra Valley Bonsai Society

Post by MJL »

Another excellent tree Kerrin. Your consistency displaying quality trees is admirable. What a wonderful collection you have.

Bonsai teaches me patience.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tending bonsai teaches me patience.
kez
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines, Junipers
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by kez »

Thanks so much for the kind words folks, the last 2 years has definitely been spent focusing on raising the quality of my trees, and I feel like I now have a solid base of material to work on with enough maturity to translate to the design and execution. Another bonsai lesson learnt the hard way for me haha!

Dan,

To be honest taper, be it good or bad, has never been something I’ve thought about with my big junipers, they are such slow thickening species, and the stock i have has mostly been ground grown, therefore I don’t see them doing anything drastic in a pot that they didn’t do in the ground.

You raise an interesting point re thickening further up the trunk due to a lack of low branches, I guess everyone just worries about bar branching and maybe doesn’t consider this, though if one leave me a low sacrifice to thicken he trunk, surely the opposite will result in thickening further up?

Maybe not? I can’t say with any certainty but I will wait and see, either way I’m not worried:)

Cheers
Kerrin

Return to “Pines and Junipers”