Ideas for this large juni

Forum for discussion of Pines, Junipers, Cedar etc as bonsai.
peterb
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: olive
Bonsai Age: 5

Ideas for this large juni

Post by peterb »

Hi Everyone
I dug this juni up 2 years ago and have just nurtured it till now, It has grown really well over this time and it's time to start working on it now. I'm really not sure where to go with it from here so I'm hoping somebody can give me some input . All ideas welcome . For size comparison that's a 1Lt Charlie carp bottle
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by peterb on November 3rd, 2015, 12:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Plum
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: Goulburn Bonsai Society

Re: Ideas for this large juni

Post by Watto »

I think the size is scarring us off Peter, but I do like the line of the first photo.
Check out my blog at http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/blog/Watto" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
peterb
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by peterb »

Thanks watto , the size is scaring me to, it was a great idea when the neighbor said i could have it, but now I'm feeling a bit intimidated :o . An idea i had was to volunteer it when we had another guest demonstrator
Peterb
dansai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Aussie Natives
Bonsai Club: Coffs Harbour

Post by dansai »

Looks like a great workshop tree to me. Too hard to get a good idea of it in photos but I'm sure it has great potential.
Travelling the Mid North Coast of NSW and beyond to attend Markets and other events

www.bonsaibus.com.au - www.facebook.com/TheBonsaiBus - www.instagram.com/thebonsaibus
fossil finder
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: swampys
Bonsai Age: 2

Post by fossil finder »

3rd pic looks like a good 'natural' starting point for front showing off the tortured base and offers a nice opportunity to jin some of those big stubs

Sent from my SM-T530 using Tapatalk
peterb
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by peterb »

Hi F/F
That was the front that i had chosen as well, but the problem is that all the foliage goes the other way
Peterb
peterb
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by peterb »

DSC_0215.jpg
Hi everyone, I decided I was going to do this myself , so this is what I've done so far , any ideas or opinions welcome. I jinned some of the branches and learnt a lesson about juni's strip the bark as soon as you jin the branch it's a lot easier than if you've left the bark to die and dry out :palm: I wrapped the trunk at the point I was going to bend with raffia and a double wire ( fortunately it already had quite a good bend there already ) then I planted a steel rod in the soil next to trunk as an anchor and attached a turnbuckle which I've used to pull the trunk a fare way I'll keep increasing the pull over the next year or so :fc:
peterb
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jarad
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Juniperus, Melaleuca, Taxodium
Bonsai Age: 9

Post by Jarad »

peterb wrote:I jinned some of the branches and learnt a lesson about juni's strip the bark as soon as you jin the branch it's a lot easier than if you've left the bark to die and dry out
What do you mean? Did you just ring bark the branch and then leave it? Isn't removing the bark the first step in creating a jin?

Nice work on the first few steps! Any foliage reduction?
-Jarad

I don't trust Bonsai, they are a little shady.
peterb
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by peterb »

Hi Jarad, sorry only replying now, I didn't see that you had posted and then I was away for 2 weeks. No mate, the branches were cut off when i dug it out and then just left for the 2 years I left the tree to recover. So now when I'm trying to jin them the bark is hard and not coming off without a fight :evil: , so I've learnt that when working with juni's you strip anything you may possibly use as a jin right away. I haven't reduced any foliage as yet, just trying to get that bend in the trunk. I now have 2 turnbuckles on and have a really good bend in it . So now I'm just feeding heavily and waiting for spring to do the next bend, which I intend to channel the trunk. I'll update with some photo's when i'm on my 4 off again
cheers, peterb
peterb
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by peterb »

Hi everyone
thought I'd give a bit of an update on how the bend in the trunk is coming along, I'm quite pleased with it so far and am waiting till spring comes round again to do the next stage, I need to bend the branch up that will become the apex and the other branch that will form part of the branch structure, but they are thick so I'll have to hollow them out and insert wire and do as I saw Mauro do. Just a question, about how long would I need to leave the turnbuckles on for the branch to hold it's position
Last edited by peterb on February 5th, 2016, 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Watto
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Plum
Bonsai Club: Goulburn Bonsai Society

Post by Watto »

You are looking probably at least 12 months, but as with all things bonsai there are a few variables. If you leave the wire on until it just marks the bark a little bit, then generally that will then hold. But as with most large specimens you work with there is always something to do, so re-wiring will be needed somewhere along the track.
Good to see it progressing.
Check out my blog at http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/blog/Watto" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
peterb
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by peterb »

Thanks watto , i'm leaving as much of the foliage as i can to maximize growth to speed up the setting of the trunk . Is that correct or should i be starting to work on the foliage reduction now.
peterb
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by peterb »

Hi Everyone
Just an update on this tree , I've taken off the wire from the trunk bend and it's holding position . I've now moved to the next branch that needed bending. I had to split the branch as was to thick to just bend , then wrapped with 2 layers of raffia , 2 layers of grafting tape and a layer of rubber intube. Then I wrapped a 6mm wire and a 5mm wire but had to rewrap wire as I hadn't done it correctly and branch started to split from trunk as wire wasn't supporting the junction :shake: . Wire not enough to hold branch so have put a turnbuckle on this branch as well .

Just a question , would it be to much to channel the trunk and bend it further up from the first bend in the same season as me doing this branch .
anthonyW
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Figs,Pines.

Post by anthonyW »

Hi Peter
Don't know if you are still looking for ideas or if this is remotely possible,but seen this from your third pic from the top,very nice material you have there...cheers Anthony
phpGXzyMgPM.jpg
peterb
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by peterb »

Hi Anthony
I don't think that's possible anymore as I've bent the trunk down and back and next step is to bend the apex back up, I certainly would have looked at your design when I first started this road but now to far dow the track. Thanks for the input :)
Cheers peterb

Return to “Pines and Junipers”