[Pearcy] ROR Squamata - My First Juniper.

Forum for discussion of Pines, Junipers, Cedar etc as bonsai.
adge0001
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Juniper & JBP
Bonsai Age: 22
Bonsai Club: Mornington Peninsula Bonsai Society

Re: [Pearcy] ROR Squamata - My First Juniper.

Post by adge0001 »

Prune away, but don't cut off all the new tips. Try to keep about 50% new tips. That includes the sides as well though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere."
-Carl Sagan
Pearcy001
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Natives and Exotics
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by Pearcy001 »

adge0001 wrote:Prune away, but don't cut off all the new tips. Try to keep about 50% new tips. That includes the sides as well though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks Adge.

As usual, time is not on my side.

Might try do some work on it in the next couple of weeks.

Cheers for the reply.

Pearcy.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
Pearcy001
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Pearcy001 »

So I finally got around to tidying this one up. I've been trying to find time over the last couple of months and managed to get a moment while on holidays from work this past week. I originally commenced working on it at the start of April haha.

Looking at the photo I see the shoot on the apex needs removing to keep the silhouette, it will be removed in time.

Also ignore the poor wiring around the tips as I have more fine wiring to do, just need to wait and find the time again now... For the moment I just wrapped the wire along the tips to hold the foliage tips somewhat parallel.

The branch on the rear ended up being jinned and the tree tilted toward the viewer. I removed around 70% of the foliage in the end, possibly even more if I think about the jinned branch.

I still don't have a final front (and my not ever). The current front is chosen as to where the branches sit currently, but may change as growth fill is on the rear to where I want it.

At the repot I will also thin the clump of roots to the rear, in order to remove the 'blanket' and show more of the rock between. I will also expose more of the roots lower down.

Cheers,
Pearcy.

Last edited by Pearcy001 on June 13th, 2017, 12:52 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Pearcy001
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Pearcy001 »

Repotted this one today. Buds were swelling and it's pot had been calling for a tree for far too long.

Roots were handled a little more than I would have liked, hopefully it isn't to the trees undoing.

The long Branch will be extended further out sweeping across into the distance ( to the right in the first pic). I don't really have a front still so feel free to throw in your two cents on the issue.

Thinking I'll use the second photo as the front, more movement in the roots but branching isn't currently as good. The second photo looks scrappy at the moment but should come good after shoots extend and it can be wired properly.

18 months on and I'm fairly happy with it so far, although still a long way to go. Once it's settled in the pot I'll look at rewiring all the branching to the new potting angle before I begin on producing the beginnings of some pads later this season.

Thoughts and comments welcome as always.

Cheers,
Pearcy.

ImageImage

Last edited by Pearcy001 on September 5th, 2017, 3:47 pm, edited 6 times in total.
beanwagon
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by beanwagon »

Love it.
Pearcy001
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Pearcy001 »

Thanks beanwagon. Still a long way to go but keen to bend down that bottom branch.

Here's a slightly clearer photo of the roots, it's hard working to the natural lighting sometimes haha.

Last edited by Pearcy001 on September 8th, 2017, 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines & Mels
Bonsai Age: 7

Post by Ryceman3 »

[quote="Pearcy001"

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk[/quote]

Hi Pearcy,
I think I like this as the front for what it's worth, but trees always look different in real life so that is obviously based on photos only! I like the movement and flow between rock/roots as it transitions into the trunk from this view, I think it looks great...
Would love to see a bit more bend in those main branches/trunks to get them down and in closer to the rock - but I think you said you were onto that so I'll look forward to the update when you get around to it.
Great tree over a pretty short time frame, gotta be happy with that. :yes:
beanwagon
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by beanwagon »

Looks awesome. Have the roots 'clung' to the rock ok? They look like they have. I ask because i was planning on doing similar ages ago and was told that squamatta roots won't grasp the rock.
Pearcy001
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Pearcy001 »

Thanks for the input Ryceman! You're right about the bends in those branches, I'll be onto them as soon as I can let the roots settle somewhat.
beanwagon wrote:Looks awesome. Have the roots 'clung' to the rock ok? They look like they have. I ask because i was planning on doing similar ages ago and was told that squamatta roots won't grasp the rock.
Hey Beanwagon, the rock used in this tree is especially textured with points, crevasses and holes. If a smooth rock were to be used it would without a doubt fail at repot. Roots are growing throughout the holes helping to hold it in place.

Additionally as the roots grow they somewhat intertwine with each other, holding the rock to an extent. You need to remember that roots do not set and hold like with a trident maple for example, so you need to assure there are roots all around to hold the tree.

All the roots on this one are still pliable (except maybe the thickest one). Due to wire holding them hard against the rock constantly, the roots have grown and move along it nicely. As long as you are careful at repot you should be alright in my opinion just don't expect it to firm up like some other species, like I said it's the intertwining holding them in place.

If you do end up giving it a try make sure that rock is as textured as possible. Goodluck!

Cheers,
Pearcy.

Last edited by Pearcy001 on September 11th, 2017, 11:18 am, edited 3 times in total.
beanwagon
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by beanwagon »

Awesome thanks for the advice.
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maples, Elms, Cedars and Pines
Bonsai Age: 7
Bonsai Club: Waverley Bonsai Group & Yarra Valley Bonsai Society

Post by MJL »

Hey Pearcy,

Hope you are enjoying the long weekend. Any chance of on update on this tree. Looks like it was progressing well.

Cheers,

Mark
Tending bonsai teaches me patience.

Return to “Pines and Junipers”