$15 procumbens juniper

Forum for discussion of Pines, Junipers, Cedar etc as bonsai.
kez
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines, Junipers
Bonsai Age: 0

$15 procumbens juniper

Post by kez »

Hey folks,

About 2 years ago I started a thread about a juniper (some may remember the tree) I had purchased from bunnings for $15, it turned into quite a nice little tree and is still developing well.

About the same time as I purchased that tree I picked up another 1, it had a slightly thicker trunk and split very quickly into 2 equally thick horizontal branches. I intended to make the tree into a cascade so I jinned 1 branch, shortened the 2nd and used 2 or 3 of the remaining bits of foliage and roughly styled the tree. I then left it alone, having quite soon after decided that I had done a terrible job.

The tree was left to languish in what has now become my dead corner, getting the odd feed but for the most part doing whatever it wanted. Being procumbens it periodically would be filled with old dead needles and would look terrible but invariably would always bounce back.

About a year ago I picked it up again and decided for some reason that I would try and get some movement into what had now developed into a longish straight (although thick for the size of the tree) section of trunk, so I grabbed some 5mm wire and wrapped it up, then just twisted and compressed, resulting in a nice twist in the trunk, after a still very straight section, and a huge split along the middle of the twisted section. Not sure if it would survive I put it back in it's corner and the (mis)treatment continued.

Yesterday I picked it up, brushed away a considerable amount of those dead needles that hang on to this species, and discovered (not altogether to my surprise) that the were the bones of branches there for styling, so I decided what the hell. I changed the angle, built some shari around the split and the old jin and without needing to really remove any foliage styled it up. Seeing as I hadn't really removed anything from the top I then potted it up. I've taken a risk but nothing ventured nothing gained, and at the end of the day no biggie if it doesn't make it (although it would be a shame) as it's already been a fun ride.

Anyway, after my rather long winded intro, here's the tree
IMG_4759 (1024x683).jpg
And with the shears for scale (this one sits firmly in the shohin category)
IMG_4761 (1024x683).jpg
I hope you all enjoy the back story and the tree, I always keep my eyes open for more of these at bunnings but since then all they seem to stock is skyrocket chinensis and tiny shore juniper, but there you go, if your lucky and have an eye, or 2 years worth of neglect, you can pick up decent trees for $15

Kez
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kcpoole
Perpetual Learner
Perpetual Learner
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 15
Bonsai Club: the School Of Bonsai

Re: $15 procumbens juniper

Post by kcpoole »

Nice score and good story,
Did you have a pic of it before?

Ken
Check out our Wiki for awesome bonsai information www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki
What is Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Bonsai
What should I do now? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index.php?title=Newbie
How do I grow a Bonsai? http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _a_Bonsai?
Visit a Bonsai nursery to see some real nice trees http://www.ausbonsai.com.au/wiki/index. ... _Nurseries
kez
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by kez »

Sorry Ken,

For some reason I didn't take 1. It was very unassuming I can tell you
Daluke
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Juniper
Bonsai Age: 8

Post by Daluke »

Nice tree.

i'm curious about your dead needles comments - i have a procumbens and have noticed the needles on one particular branch were yellowing. i figured it was dying...
kez
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by kez »

Procumbens tend to keep dead needles held tightly to the branches where as squamata will shed them leaving bare branch. I typically see the 2 procumbens I have looking ratty twice a year but there always is green tips on the branches. If the yellowing is at the branch ends then I would assume you are losing the branch
chriswaghorn
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Bonsai Age: 2

Post by chriswaghorn »

I really like this tree! Nice work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
gwilliamb
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Privet
Bonsai Age: 10
Bonsai Club: School of Bonsai, Bonsai Society of Australia, Waughope Bonsai Club, H

Post by gwilliamb »

Great job and even better story.
Well done
GavinG
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Club: CBS

Post by GavinG »

Well done, the action in the trunk is very strong indeed. I hope you don't mind the suggestion, but for me the trunk has a very powerful sideways direction - would you consider directing the end of the trunk out sideways more, with a couple more funky bends in it? That might mean that the top gets much reduced, or goes completely. Great job for 15 bucks!

Gavin
ben17487
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Juniper

Post by ben17487 »

I love your trees kez! You have an amazing talent of making them look effortlessly natural and with great form with only the bare minimal to work with!
I find myself studying your posts when I begin styling a tree :)
Keep up the good work!
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines & Mels
Bonsai Age: 7

Post by Ryceman3 »

You've created something pretty special for only $15... that's the kind of story I like reading about, a bit like "the ugly duckling" morphing into the swan. Good yarn and great skill in making this what it is. :yes:

Return to “Pines and Junipers”