A twisty old pine

Forum for discussion of Pines, Junipers, Cedar etc as bonsai.
GavinG
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maple
Bonsai Age: 0
Bonsai Club: CBS

Re: A twisty old pine

Post by GavinG »

I've never seen a club so happy about breaking rules.... At least for show and Tell. Looking forward to seeing it.

Gavin
kez
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines, Junipers

Post by kez »

spent the last few days taking my time cleaning this one up and fine wiring,

As with the last pine I updated I didn't cut candles this year, preferring to let it gain some strength. The needle length isn't an issue anyway and i'm happy with the progress with rammification so there was really no other need to cut candles other than just to do so, so I am not worried about missing out on any development.

The needles have almost hardened off and are still lime green, added to the fact that I was loosing light, it's not the best pic but here it is as off this evening
IMG_6244 (1024x683).jpg
Cheers,

Kerrin
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Nate.bonsai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: JBP
Bonsai Age: 10

Post by Nate.bonsai »

As usual, what a lovely development over a short period. You really have an eye for bringing out the best in pines (and junipers). This tree is just such a delight. Classically styled, but with a lively and playful trunk and delicate, well placed branches.

Two minor observations, which you have probably considered and discounted already. First, is there a little inverse taper right at the base? It just looks slightly thinner and therefore a little less grounded - but this may just be the camera. Second, the trunk is so sinuous and playful, yet the planting angle is quite upright (e.g. with the crown immediately above the base), which kind of ‘pauses’ the trunk’s movement and makes it more static than dynamic. Would it benefit from a slight change to the planting angle?

Even with those observations though, love it how it is and will enjoy seeing it mature in your (more than) capable hands.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Keep Calm and Ramify
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Keep Calm and Ramify »

Sweet tree Kez, really enjoyed seeing this. Love the trunk line. :tu2:
kez
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by kez »

Thanks for the kind words guys

Nate,

As with everything this tree is a balance between best and worst, I tried all manner of angles when doing the first styling and this more upright orientation was the only one where the trunk didn’t lose direction. I just couldn’t get the movement to flow no matter what other angles I tried, it seemed to just lose its way

Regarding the base, I think this one is more a result of the photo

I appreciate the thoughts though, never hurts having a different set of eyes looking over things

Kerrin
Matthew
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: pines and maples
Bonsai Age: 17
Bonsai Club: none

Post by Matthew »

Great tree Kez. The bark is aging nicely and rapid development on this one for sure :tu:
kez
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by kez »

12 month update for this tree,

Had a good growing season so I have just done some needle reduction, re done the fine wiring and continuing with my autumn repotting of pines got this into a new pot. I think it suits the tree better, and I am also interested to see how the pines do in this potting mix, I have had great success this summer trialing this with a juniper and an english elm, with both trees doing very well over a harsh summer so I think I will move all my tree to this eventually

anyway heres the tree from a few angles, as I think its cool to see how the front on image is actually made up, and it highlights the density in what is still very much a tree under construction. I am definitely realising just how loooooooooooong it takes to build super high level pines

PS sorry about the dark trunk... its still wet
IMG_6595 (1024x683).jpg
IMG_6597 (1024x683).jpg
IMG_6598 (1024x683).jpg
Cheers folks
Kerrin
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MJL
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Maples, Elms, Cedars and Pines
Bonsai Age: 7
Bonsai Club: Waverley Bonsai Group & Yarra Valley Bonsai Society

Post by MJL »

I really like this tree! Perhaps because I am reasonably tired after some really long days - and sitting on a tarmac in NSW waiting, waiting - I think I like the back the most.... (last photo) ... I could just be tired and emotional as I can see the first photo in this series shows more of the trunk...

I’d like a tree like this in my collection one day. [THUMBS UP SIGN]

Bonsai teaches me patience.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tending bonsai teaches me patience.
Ryceman3
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pines & Mels
Bonsai Age: 7

Post by Ryceman3 »

Always enjoy reading your progressions Kez and viewing your trees. This one is no exception. I love your attention to detail and I think the pot is a good fit for this tree too, a bit more feminine which looks more complimentary to the tree’s styling. Nice! :yes:
PS: Don’t suppose you want to elaborate on your new soil mix, always like to hear what others are using!
kez
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by kez »

Mjl,

Thanks for the kind words. I can see where you are coming from as far as branching from that angle (actually side view) but the trunk is very uninteresting when viewed like that. Branches should be moved to suit the trunk, not the other way around:)

Ryceman,

It’s super simple actually, roughly 50/50 expanded clay balls and course scoria. Very free draining as one would expect, but holds moisture well enough to support an English elm through Canberra summer as long as attention is paid (as with any tree). I also noticed great growth with the juniper and I am much more inclined to water heavily when in doubt of weather as I know this mix will drain
Nate.bonsai
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: JBP
Bonsai Age: 10

Post by Nate.bonsai »

Was just going through my old posts to find and recover images of my trees, as my computer died, taking all of my bonsai photos with it (oh, and there might have been some wedding, overseas holiday and family photos lost as well...).

But, this tree. How good.
Daluke
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Juniper
Bonsai Age: 8

Post by Daluke »

It is a nice piece.

I always wonder “where are they now?”

Return to “Pines and Junipers”