Fastest growing juniper?

Forum for discussion of Pines, Junipers, Cedar etc as bonsai.
Reece
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Conifers.
Bonsai Age: 2

Fastest growing juniper?

Post by Reece »

I'm in the process of building a very large (probably a 2 to 3 person lift) Tanuki. I'm prepping the Deadwood and I want to start the graft this spring.

Call me mad but I had the idea of growing a fast growing junper around the Deadwood to build the basic structure for the next 10 or 20 years and then grafting a more desirable shimpaku or Kishu etc to it to refine it at the end.

What do you guys think of this idea? I feel if I start with shimpaku it will take FOREVER and might not even get there at all!

I was thinking of using normal sargentii for the original phoenix graft because I've heard these are fast.....

Overall thoughts appreciated!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
literati79
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Conifers
Bonsai Age: 15

Re: Fastest growing juniper?

Post by literati79 »

I've been thinking of a similar thing. I've seen some good Junipers online that have had another tree's foliage grafted onto the original stock.

There are faster growing Chinese Junipers that would be suitable. The names escape me though. I'm sure someone will know.

I wonder if J. squamata would work as a stock???

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
Pearcy001
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Natives and Exotics
Bonsai Age: 0

Post by Pearcy001 »

I believe Neil (Shibui) has had some success with something similar, not a Tanuki but. He showed me when I dropped in his way a wile back. Grafts healed up very well from memory. Maybe he can chime in with some advice if I'm not completely mistaken.

Cheers,
Pearcy.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
Reece
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Reece »

Thanks Guys. Yeah Squamata could be an option too. Will all junipers graft to each other? (Scratches head)

shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

My grafted juniper came about because I had grown some fast growing junipers. I'm not even sure of the species or variety but they are blue/green, have spiky needle foliage and upright pyramid habit. maybe someone can provide an ID?
PICT0375.JPG
I ended up with some great trunks but difficult to train branches and a pain to work with because of the spiky foliage.
In the end I decided to try grafting shimpaku on. Straight grafts failed but approach grafts worked fine.
PICT0370.JPG
Juniper approach graft 1.JPG
PICT0374.JPG
Most people don't see the grafts now. Most of them are difficult to see even when I've pointed out the branches are all grafted. I'll need to take some updated pictures.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Pup
Knowledgeable rogue
Knowledgeable rogue
Favorite Species: melaleucas
Bonsai Age: 31
Bonsai Club: Bonsai society of Western Australia

Post by Pup »

shibui wrote:My grafted juniper came about because I had grown some fast growing junipers. I'm not even sure of the species or variety but they are blue/green, have spiky needle foliage and upright pyramid habit. maybe someone can provide an ID?
PICT0375.JPG
I ended up with some great trunks but difficult to train branches and a pain to work with because of the spiky foliage.
In the end I decided to try grafting shimpaku on. Straight grafts failed but approach grafts worked fine.
PICT0370.JPG
PICT0374.JPG
Most people don't see the grafts now. Most of them are difficult to see even when I've pointed out the branches are all grafted. I'll need to take some updated pictures.
Possibly Juniper Africana pyramadalis, had some many moons ago they were fast growing. I have only said possible not positive!!!!!

Cheers Pup
IN THE LIGHT OF KNOWLEDGE ATTAINED, ACHIEVEMENT IS WITHIN SIGHT

I am not a complete fool, some parts are missing
Reece
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Reece »

Pup wrote:
shibui wrote:My grafted juniper came about because I had grown some fast growing junipers. I'm not even sure of the species or variety but they are blue/green, have spiky needle foliage and upright pyramid habit. maybe someone can provide an ID?
PICT0375.JPG
PICT0370.JPG
PICT0374.JPG
Possibly Juniper Africana pyramadalis, had some many moons ago they were fast growing. I have only said possible not positive!!!!!

Cheers Pup
Haha cheers guys!

This is all great info and it looks like what Im thinking of could definitely be an option......... :tu:
peterb
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: olive
Bonsai Age: 5

Post by peterb »

Hi Guys
Just a question, if one grafts shimpaku to squamata , would it still be susceptible to the fungal infection that squamata is prone to get.
cheers
peterb
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by shibui »

I assume the squamata fungal infection is on the leaves? In that case when there are no squamata leaves they can't get infected. If it is a trunk/root/wood infection that's an entirely different thing.

Here are a few photos of my grafted juniper
P1150486.JPG
P1150487.JPG
There are 2 grafts shown in this photo. Can you see the signs? I'm almost certain this is the same graft that was shown earlier in the thread labelled close up of approach grafts' with the date stamp 29-12-2009
P1150489.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
peterb
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by peterb »

Wow, that's awesome Shibui. :clap: :clap: . It's almost impossible to see the grafts. When you approach grafted, did you remove the bark from scion when you put it in the channel of the rootstock. Thanks for info you so freely pass on to us Shibui, it's great for us noobs to be able to tap into your knowledge and experience. I think we all owe you a :beer: or 2
Cheers
Peterb
Reece
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Reece »

Yeah I'm with Peter. Great stuff! Definitely giving this a go....

shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by shibui »

When you approach grafted, did you remove the bark from scion when you put it in the channel of the rootstock
Remove bark from both stock and scion - (only need to slice a strip of bark off the side of the scion that touches the stock). This is standard approach grafting. The cambium of both must make contact for grafting to take place but the beauty of approach grafting is that you don't need to line things up neatly. Both parts stay alive on their own roots until the callus from both the wounds healing comes into contact and grafting takes place.
peterb
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by peterb »

Thanks Shibui, after seeing your results I'm seriously thinking about this for my large juni which has rather course foliage
Cheers
Peterb

Return to “Pines and Junipers”