Squatt Cascade

Forum for discussion of Pines, Junipers, Cedar etc as bonsai.
Firecat
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Squatty
Bonsai Age: 26

Squatt Cascade

Post by Firecat »

I known squatts are in plentiful posts and cascades are numerous but this is mine which has been around the bench for quite a few years.
Started as an upright, a brush and all manner of shapes but as they are so forgiving it's final style is now cascade which I have persisted with now for around 2 years.
Originally cascaded into a lighter green pot of the same dimension which was dropped and took out one side..Not one to give away pots as useless I modified it and up until last week it was the home to a Cotteny.
One with a diamond saw and a usable pot was born again.
103_4597.JPG
103_4598.JPG
103_4599.JPG
Back on topic.
103_4586.JPG
103_4587.JPG
103_4588.JPG
103_4589.JPG
103_4590.JPG
103_4591.JPG
103_4592.JPG
103_4593.JPG
103_4594.JPG
103_4595.JPG
103_4596.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Boics
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Banksia, Syzygium, Cotoneaster. Leptospermum
Bonsai Age: 7

Re: Squatt Cascade

Post by Boics »

Time to get some wire on everything.
Id consider losing a bunch of smaller branches.
Id also consider a jin for most of (if not all) of the top section. No rush though some general shaping and more styling before slow and considered selection..
One of the fabulous things about growing bonsai is as you get old and decrepit your trees get old and beautiful
Firecat
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Firecat »

Boics wrote:Time to get some wire on everything.
Id consider losing a bunch of smaller branches.
Id also consider a jin for most of (if not all) of the top section. No rush though some general shaping and more styling before slow and considered selection..
Never really gave a jin a thought as I was trying to actually grow the top into a larger pad.
I'm open here as the cascading branch 'is' a bit 'life less' and a few twists to shorten it up a bit was next question to ask.
Smaller branch removal is definitely needed and wire..always wire as a shortening tool rather than cutting ..
'The old RED line editing would be appreciated for guidance on just where to hack the unwanted smaller branches.
Steve.
Firecat
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by Firecat »

After a couple of comments re jinning the second branch I decided to go outside ofthe box and do a total re build.
Yes I jinned the second branch but decided that an upright form with the aid of a 'salt bush stump I collected may come to something in the future.
'It must be noted that the second branch Jin was a no brainer as I must of either pinched or cracked the branch and it died back prematurely and very quickly too!.
Miss the cascade but will have a lot of work now getting this to grow into something.

Steve.
103_4768.JPG
103_4769.JPG
103_4770.JPG
103_4772.JPG
103_4773.JPG
103_4774.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Daluke
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Juniper
Bonsai Age: 8

Post by Daluke »

I prefer the look of the tree with the added deadwood.

I'm told no juniper is a bonsai without deadwood.

When it fills out and the pads develop I think you will have a great tree.

Look forward to the updates.

Return to “Pines and Junipers”