Needle Junipers "Another challenge"

Forum for discussion of Pines, Junipers, Cedar etc as bonsai.
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pinus Maples
Bonsai Age: 26
Bonsai Club: Ausbonsai

Re: Needle Junipers "Another challenge"

Post by alpineart »

Hi TimS , I'm hearing you . Participation is what forums are about . doesn't matter how small or complex the topics or questions are its the input that keeps them going .

Hi Steve_B the live vein is the section of a trunk or part there of that feeds the foliage and the roots , they both need each other .

For example , when i carved these trunks I first followed the green live material 'The Bark" from the base of the carved trunk to the desired foliage .In most cases because these were carved years ago the live vein was raised as that section continued to grow whereas the carved or damaged sections had died off . Easy to tell the difference between alive and dead bark
The part of the trunk that is still alive is the live vein . In the case of these trunks it was about 15mm wide on average , more at the base less at the apex
On a fully green trunk you have to be careful not to severe the sap flow so you remove a small section of bark over time and increasing the removed bark area being aware of the natural sap flow or growth habit of the tree . Failure to observe a bit of caution can see the tree ring barked which will result in a dead tree. .
To give a better example grab a flexible branch from any tree , remove a 5-10 mm wide sliver of bark from the length of that branch .What you have left is a live vein of bark . Wire it as you would a bonsai , then bend and twist it into shape and watch the flow of the live vein . Even with a simple bend and twist it gives an impression the live vein has rotated to some extent .
If you were to carve out in a spiral fashion around a trunk in a single action without first studying the growth habit of the trunk it will most likely result in a full ring bark or partial die back of the trunk or branches fed but the bark immediately above or below the area were the sap flow was compromised .
Over time you can re-direct the sap flow but it is hit and miss as to the success

Bit long winded but i hope it helps .

Cheers Ian
alpineart
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Pinus Maples
Bonsai Age: 26
Bonsai Club: Ausbonsai

Re: Needle Junipers "Another challenge"

Post by alpineart »

This was supposed to be a simple approach graft to an existing trunk
DSCN4094.JPG
DSCN4095.JPG
Unfortunately the roots on the live section had separated and forced the Shimp fused /grafted trunk off the deadwood .
Now I have 2 individual trunks , definately not what i was after .

A simple slip pot , re-pot
DSCN4145.JPG
DSCN4146.JPG
, then I planted a layered Shimpaku into the larger pot and will approach graft it to the live trunks remaining .

These big trunks are getting light every day .

Cheers Ian
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Pines and Junipers”