Blue Cedar Cascade & trimming advice

Forum for discussion of Pines, Junipers, Cedar etc as bonsai.
count_thumper
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: Blue Cedar
Bonsai Age: 1

Re: Blue Cedar Cascade & trimming advice

Post by count_thumper »

Oops image didnt load.

Here it is: http://i.imgur.com/Drbhgkv.jpg
count_thumper
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by count_thumper »

Hi all,

The cedar is developing cones. Do they need to be removed? Similar to a candle prune?

Many thanks,
Mike
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
shibui
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Favorite Species: trident maple
Bonsai Age: 41
Bonsai Club: Albury/Wodonga; BSV; Canberra; VNBC

Post by shibui »

conifer flowering is just like any other species. Flowers/fruit take a lot of energy. If your tree is still developing and needs to put all its effort into growing you should probably remove flowers.
If your tree is healthy and growing well and you don't mind giving up a little growth you can leave them to develop.
On a semi-advanced tree flowers and fruit may even draw off enough tree energy to give shorter internodes and closer ramification.

I have seen Japanese recommendations to remove fruit from bonsai before it develops too much because it takes far too much out of the tree and may affect growth and health the following year. Azaleas are always trimmed after flowering to remove any possible fruit so the tree will flower better next year. Fruit is always removed from Chinese quinces. If they are shown in autumn small, mature fruit from a garden tree is tied onto the branches for the show rather than the tree having its own fruit.
http://shibuibonsai.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
count_thumper
Aussie Bonsai Fan
Aussie Bonsai Fan

Post by count_thumper »

shibui wrote:conifer flowering is just like any other species. Flowers/fruit take a lot of energy. If your tree is still developing and needs to put all its effort into growing you should probably remove flowers.
If your tree is healthy and growing well and you don't mind giving up a little growth you can leave them to develop.
On a semi-advanced tree flowers and fruit may even draw off enough tree energy to give shorter internodes and closer ramification.

I have seen Japanese recommendations to remove fruit from bonsai before it develops too much because it takes far too much out of the tree and may affect growth and health the following year. Azaleas are always trimmed after flowering to remove any possible fruit so the tree will flower better next year. Fruit is always removed from Chinese quinces. If they are shown in autumn small, mature fruit from a garden tree is tied onto the branches for the show rather than the tree having its own fruit.
Hi Shibui,

I will likely remove then, particularly with it being under the stress of cascade, even though it hasn't been growing like a rocket.

(On a side note, the Shimpaku Juniper I bought from you last year is going well. Your work on the nebari is quite impressive!)

Many Thanks,
Mike.

Return to “Pines and Junipers”